“Luxurious tranquility in the best location in Rome”

The First Luxury Art Hotel
Ranked #31 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Booked largely by accident this hotel turned out to be a real gem! Very much a boutique hotel it did lack some of the amenities of the larger hotels (Gym, pool etc) but it more than makes up for this. It is located on a quiet side street just off the Piazza del Poppolo within easy walk of the Spanish Steps and Villa Borghese and only a short walk to the Colliseum. The hotel is immaculate with various are works adorning its walls. The decor is mostly white marble giving it a crisp contemporary feel without the cold clinical feel of so many modern designs. The restaurant was outstanding and we enjoyed an excellent meal there. It remains a little undiscovered so was lacking somewhat in atmosphere when we ate dinner there, but the food was some of the best we sampled in Rome and the service was very attentive! The breakfast buffet was expensive but worth it. As my wife did not select anything off the hot menu we were only charged for one breakfast each day which was unexpected! We had a junior suite and the only thing I would comment on was the lack of a shower. We managed fine with just a bath (And quite a bath it was!) but for those who prefer showers this could be an issue. The bedroom itself was beautiful and came with complimentary fast wireless internet. The hotel itself was very quiet indeed and the bed very comfortable meaning we slept wonderfully well. The air conditioning left us a little baffled though. Overall it really is a good hotel with excellent service and is a beautiful place to stay, with far more character than most of the bigger hotels. I will definitely be staying there again when I return to Rome and have no hesitation to recommend it very highly to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RichardVUK

Reviewed 8 May 2012

My Fiance and I have just returned from 5 days in Rome and it was my fiance who chose this hotel for us. We had the most wonderful stay here. The ambience throughout the hotel was just perfect. It is situated down a lovely quiet cobbled street. Our suite was stunning and incredibly quiet and we loved returning to enjoy our room after a busy, warm day of visiting all the incredible sights of Rome. Our bed was the most comfortable bed we have slept in around the world. Amazing. We had breakfast every morning in the stylish and gorgeous breakfast/dining room. The food was fresh and of the highest quality and it truly set us up for the day. Yes it was 30 euros each but worth every euro!!! Wonderful Italian coffee, fresh apricots, yoghurts, cereal, fruit, juice and a cooked selection to follow!!!. The staff were extremely polite and friendly. We will return to this hotel one day soon and if you are looking for a perfect hotel look no further than the 1st.

Room Tip: Chose a suite if you can and email the hotel your requirements beforehand. They couldn't be more...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The First Luxurt Art Hotel is modern, stylish and chic without being cold or inpersonal. From the moment we walked through the door the staff were polite and helpful, and everything appeared absolutely immaculate. Despite being a cleanliness fiend, i couldn't find anything wrong with our lovely room. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite, so can't comment on the size of the Deluxe rooms, but our suite was certainly generously sized, especially the great shower. Do ask for exactly what you want in the room (shower, bath etc) to guarantee you're not disappointed.
The location of the hotel is ideal, down a small sidestreet, just two minutes walk from Piazza de Popolo. Despite being near enough to walk to most of the sites (with comfy shoes on and a few cafe stops), it was reasonably quiet and there were plenty of Italians around. There was a a good selection of local, reasonably priced restaurants and bars also- so it needn't be horrendously expensive to stay there.
We didn't try the hotel breakfast, as it wasn't included in our room rate and we didn't feel it justified the 30 euro pp charge. The roof garden was beautiful, and very peaceful whilst the hotel was quiet. Even if you don't want to eat/ drink up here, it's worth just sitting and taking in the view of Rome's rooftops.
We had a small problem with the bill on checkout, but it was speedily resolved by the efficient staff.
If we returned to Rome we wouldn't hesitate to come back here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have just returned from a long weekend trip to Rome, staying at the First with my boyfriend. We both loved the hotel, with it's quirky art dotted around and the fantastic location... we would definitely come back again.
The service in the hotel was great and the room was just what we needed for a weekend trip. Our room was fairly small however the large king size bed was a welcomed addition!
The one negative I do have is that all of the deluxe rooms are adjoining and as mentioned in other reviews, you can hear everything your neighbours are doing (even if they are just talking at a normal volume). This didn't bother us too much though as we didn't spend much time in the room as we were out enjoying the sites!
As a whole I would definitely recommend the hotel and would return here again!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank j_flinn23
thefirsthotel, Direttore at The First Luxury Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you to taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.
We took good note of the inconvenient occured due to the "noise" generated by a nearby room.
At the occasion of a next (hopefully) stay at The First,we will ensure an adeguate accomodation to satisfy your legitimate expectations.
Looking forward to welcoming you, to The First Art Luxury Hotel Roma,in the near future

Sincerely
Giuseppe Falconiere

Reviewed 12 April 2012

After reading such good reviews on this hotel, I booked it and was expecting perhaps more than I should. Very good location, modern tasteful decor and nice and clean. Big drawback is (actually this I subsequently found out, as one always do, this has been mentioned by other reviews) the room is not sound proof at all. I could clearly hear my next door neighbors having a great time laughing and chatting in the middle of the night. As a result, we have to constantly remind ourselves to speak in whisper. Next drawback is the hot water in the bath room is not that hot sometimes (sometimes it's okay). We tried to get hotel staff to fix it but they seem to think it's hot enough! Air-condition cannot go past 23 degrees, which for us was a bit cold because my hubby wasn't feeling too well and we ended up having to turn it off completely from time to time. Lastly, there's no free bottled water.

Room Tip: Don't accept a connecting room if you are not the one using both rooms, because the walls are no...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank J J
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My partner and I stayed in this hotel in November 2011. The location is fantastic. The hotel is on a quiet street off Via de Ripetta, one of the three major streets that run north to south throughout the city. The hotel is nearest the Piazza del Popolo- one of the quieter piazzas in Rome, which is nice after walking through the crowds along the Via del Corso where one can find a great deal of shopping and a lot of tourists. The rooms were well appointed and have a typical amount of space for a standard room with a king size bed for any major world city. I prefer to stay in boutique hotels for the character that other hotels like the Hassler or the Four Seasons cannot provide. The First Hotel absolutely felt warmer than the business like hotels devoid of any real character. There were only a few drawbacks. The location is on a quiet street which keep the noise down, but the walls between my room and the next was a little thin- I could hear my neighbors' television most of the time. The concierge were kind and very accommodating, but I am a foodie and they didn't really know any hidden gems for finer dining. That was disappointing, but all in all the team present during my 7 days was as helpful as they could be. I would recommend this hotel to future guests of Rome.

Room Tip: Just pay more if you have space demands. It's Rome. Just like NYC or London...you have to pay...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank foodgrl
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for 4 nights, and the accommodations were lovely. Everything is new and very clean! I would like to respond to one of the reviews about no A/C. That was true. My private tour guide did tell me that Rome is very strict about air conditioning before April 1st so it is not the fault of the hotel. We did open our window which made the room comfortable.
The location can not be beat. The hotel is on a little street very close to the best shopping and excellent restaurants.we were able to walk everywhere!
The staff were young and professional. The service in the restaurant was outstanding, and the food was delicious. This will be my place to stay when in Rome!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple