“Just amazing.”

Ranked #31 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Athens, Georgia
“Just amazing.”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at the First Hotel over the New Year. First impressions of First are amazing – a beautiful lobby and beautiful staff who take real care of you. Even though we did not care for all of the artwork, there is no doubt that this is a very classy place. Our room was a little small by US standards, but furnished to a high level. More storage space would have been useful, especially in the bedside cabinets, and we found the room to be overheated. The bathroom was lovely. The views from the roof-top terrace are spectacular. The location is great, within walking distance of just about everything, but on a quiet side street so that you away from the noise and bustle of the city centre. A special mention for the restaurant; it has a Michelin star so you would expect it to be good, but it provided us with one of our most memorable meals together. Not cheap, but worth every euro. A truly extraordinary experience, and one we will long treasure.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holtspa
Priscilla H, General Manager at The First Luxury Art Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. We are glad to hear that you have had an extraordinary time with us and that our Michelin star restaurant All’Oro has completed your stay experience at The First. We thank your for spending your new year holiday with us and we wish you a happy and prosperous 2014. Hopeful to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

General Manager, The First Luxury Art Hotel Roma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in a quiet street close to the shopping area around Via del Corso and to Piazza del Popolo. The beds are large and comfortable, though the normal rooms are somewhat smallish; the bathrooms are excellent. There are, however, a few drawbacks. First, the rooms are way too hot, being heated at 25C. Switching off the heating and opening the window hardly helps - it stays around 25C, so that one sleeps badly and becomes more tired and moodier by the day. Second, the breakfast is not included, and too expensive, especially if one takes into account what is on offer. Third, part of the personel is arrogant and not particularly enthusiastic to help - on a number of occasions we ordered something which never arrived. All in all, this is an hotel which would like to be luxury, but isn't quite up to it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pieter H
Giuseppe F, General Manager at The First Luxury Art Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed our strategic location, our large comfortable bed and bathrooms. However we are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Regarding the room temperature, being the heating system is centralised, it could happen that some of the rooms, especially the smaller rooms, to have a slightly higher temperature than the suites. We are sorry that we were not aware of the situation at hand during your stay with us, we would have gladly find a suitable solution for you or move you to a larger more comfortable room.

As for the breakfast we do have rates and different packages that include the breakfast complimentary, we would definitely suggest our future guests and trip advisor readers to book the package with breakfast included, however it is indeed true that some of the rates, especially the discounted or last minute rate that do not include breakfast. As for the offering of the breakfast we will discuss with the management of our Restaurant All’Oro as well as your comments about the personnel. We are surprise to hear about this comment since we always have had positive and warm feedback about the friendliness of both the hotel and restaurant staff. Therefore if you could kindly give us more details about the order that was never delivered, perhaps by writing to my email gm@thefirsthotel.com, would be very much appreciated. We want to make sure that we could take the proper action to ensure that the same episode would not represent in the future.

We thank you for your valuable comments and we hope that you would give us a second chance to impress you and to make your stay at The First a perfect one.

australia
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at First Luxury Art Hotel. The hotel was excellent last year and just as good this year. Thank you again to the wonderful staff for making our stay so easy and enjoyable.
On our last stay we were excited to see the sights of Rome. This stay we were able to further enjoy all that the hotel's neighborhood has to offer. It is surrounded by lovely shops, cafés, restaurants bike stores, art galleries, and even local hairdressers which were reasonably priced by Australian standards. It's a beautiful area of Rome to explore and we are so glad we took the time to return.
An excellent choice in Rome.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. We are glad to have the chance to welcome you for the second time at The First and delighted to know that your have had an even more enjoyable time this year round exploring the neighbourhood attractions. Our team remember you very well and please know that you are always welcomed at The First, your home away from home.

Maida Vale
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Nothing to fault this well kept secret of a Hotel. The staff at check in was impeccable, nothing was too much of a problem for them and it wasnt just because its their job, they did it with passion! The suite was well appointed, spacious and the forniture was at a par with an art gallery. Breakfast could be improved, but all in all a very enjoyable stay. We will go back for sure

Room Tip: higher floors rooms have more light
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. We are glad to hear that you have had a wonderful stay with us and that our staff have been most helpful. We thrive on hiring the right person with the positive service attitude to be part of our team, so your comment only give us even more encouragement to do our very best.

We have taken note about the breakfast and will discuss it with the restaurant management to find ways to improve it.

Hopefully we will get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This hotel is a little gem.

The location is ideal, close to many sights but also in an area where you can escape from the crowds.

Our room (a junior suite) was spacious & comfortable - the bed was perfect. The bathroom excellent - nice towels - lots of nice quality products. The espresso machine was a bonus as was free wifi.

Housekeeping was impeccable.

We had Christmas lunch in the restaurant & it was very good food reasonably priced - last year in Paris we paid 3 times more for a much much less enjoyable experience. Markus the Maître D is lovely & the team were great.

Actually, every staff member we dealt with in our 4 night stay was charming & helpful.

We really loved this place & we will go back.

One small complaint was how hot the room was but we opened our bedroom window & it cooled down pretty quickly & everything else was so good it would be mean to give it less the 5.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank talkative
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor and for having chosen The First to spend your Christmas holiday. We are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed our beautiful and spacious suite, bathroom and our different amenities and that you have had a wonderful Christmas lunch in our Michelin starred Restaurant All’Oro. We will definitely pass along your kind comments to Markus and team.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you back at The First and in our Restaurant All’Oro soon.

London
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Booked as surprise for wedding anniversary

The hotel and staff could not have done more to make our stay perfect

Every detail was thought of from trips to sorting out our cocktails on the Terrance ( which in winter is closed)

Will rush back soon

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ant360
Giuseppe F, General Manager at The First Luxury Art Hotel, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment in Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to hear that our team have taken a great care of you during your stay with us and that you have had a memorable stay at The First. We look forward to having you back soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Let me first by saying like many people I guess I'm guilty of using TripAdvisor solely to read reviews but not posting any reviews. My awful experience at this hotel has prompted me to post my first review.

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a 2 week vacation that included stays at the Bulgari Hotel in Milan, the St, Regis in Florence, and the Shangri-La Paris. These hotels were all true 5 star hotels and were a great experience.

THE FIRST LUXURY ART HOTEL IS NOT A 5 STAR HOTEL AND SHOULD NOT CLAIM TO BE!!

I read a few reviews that mentioned this fact and I should've paid attention.

My experience:

First off at check-in I was offered an "upgrade" to a bigger room "for only a $100 euros". This offer came without prompting from me and almost seem scripted and came off like I was being sold. I own a retail business and have many salespeople and this felt like it was a common pitch. My issue with this was as the frontdesk person asked me to wait to handle a phone call I pulled up the hotels site on my phone and checked the rates for that night and the standard rack rate was only around $80 euro more for the exact same room type he was offering me at a $100 euro. This was not a prepaid rate or special rate, but the normal rack rate. I declined the upgrade.

Secondly, as we had arrived at the hotel in the evening I asked the front desk/concierge a recommendation for dinner. I specifically told the gentleman I didn't want a "touristy" restaurant as Rome tends to have many restaurants specifically aimed at the tourist crowd. I was assured that the place he was sending us was not a touristy place at all and was in fact a favorite of his and his family and was a hidden gem with some of the best food in all of Rome.

Well sure of enough when we get to the restaurant and were seated we soon realized every table in the place was speaking English and we were indeed in a place full of people sent there by there hotel. All the type of things that you would expect to occur at a tourist restaurant happened. Ordering a bottle of wine only to be told they were out of that particular wine and then attempted to be up sold on wines more expensive. Ordering white truffles with eggs for $50 euro only to be served a plate of scrambled eggs with the smallest and thinnest amount of truffles I've ever seen. Just coming from Milan and Florence during white truffle season I know what $50 euro should get you and this was maybe $5 euro worth. Then my wife ordering "king prawns" only to be served previously frozen shrimp the size of something you might see at Sizzler or Long John Silver. Finally, the couple sitting next to us with the gentleman wearing his Jets hat on backwards, drinking to much, cussing, mocking his Italian waiter and just being the classic "ugly American".

Upon arriving back at the hotel after spending about $300 euro on a meal on par with Macaroni Grill I saw the same gentleman who made the suggestion and when he asked how are meal was. I politely and without trying to be rude told him about our experience. He became very defensive and then told me why I the paying customer of the hotel was wrong. That how could this be since it's a "place that he goes to" and he's a "native of Rome"?

He began to justify the prices for the truffles explaining they were more expensive in Rome then in Milan or Florence? Also, that king prawns are much smaller in Rome. Then my favorite he began to tell me how Italians only eat out on Fridays and Saturday nights and since we went on a weekday that's why everyone there was speaking English. Now this was so ridiculous I didn't even respond. I have business partners in Italy and have been going to Italy 3-4 times a year for the last 15 years. This statement that Italian who are some of the most social people on earth only go out on weekends was so ridiculous I just ended the conversation by saying, "goodnight" and going upstairs.

I have been traveling long enough and know what games are played to tell you what another reviewer on TripAdvisor claimed to be 100% true and that is..... THIS "CONCIERGE" WAS WITHOUT A DOUBT GETTING KICKBACKS TO SEND GUEST TO THIS TOURIST TRAP OF A RESTAURANT. Nothing else would explain his defensiveness and silly remarks in justifying this suggestion or the cost of the quality and service provided by this place. Going forward we solely relied on TripAdvisor and Yelp for picking restaurants and had some great meals.

FINALLY, the straw that broke the camels back and led me to write this review:

Our second to last night there we went to dinner at a great place called AdHoc. A nice restaurant that we went somewhat dressed up, I wore a sport coat and my wife dress and heels. Upon arriving back to the hotel my wife took her heels off and placed them on the floor next to some other shoes. The next day she wore tennis shoes as we did plenty of walking. That night which was our last night we had an early dinner before arriving back to the hotel to pack due to an early departure to Paris in the morning.

Upon packing my wife realized she could not find her heels. We unpacked everything we had packed up to that point and searched the entire room several times. She became upset as these were one of her favorite pair of shoes and rather expensive. They are made by a company called Alaia and had cost around $700USD.

I then called the front desk and told them of the issue and wondered if perhaps housekeeping had accidentally picked them up? This seemed of course unlikely but worth looking into. The front desk then called back after sometime and stated housekeeping did not have them that they had called the housekeeper who cleaned our room and most likely we misplaced them. I assured them that they were not in the room and to send someone up from the front desk or security to look for themselves. They sent a gentleman up who looked throughout the room and I showed him the contents of our luggage, he then left and said the manager on duty would call us.

The manager on duty then called and started of by sayingf that we perhaps misplaced them somewhere else or forgot that we left them somewhere other then the hotel. I assured him this was not the case and although I hated to say it that perhaps they may have been stolen. This was met with denial and claimed as not an option or possibility. I told him that if housekeeping didn't have them and no one else knew of there location that there was no other possibility. This was met again with denail at which point I asked for the General Manager to call me the next day as it was late and this was going nowhere.

Please keep in mind at no time did I ask for a credit or discount of my bill based on this incident, I just simply wanted my wife shoes returned.

The following morning we departed for Paris and I heard nothing from the GM. I had given the hotel my email, my cell number, and the hotel information in Paris so they could get a hold of us yet nothing from the GM all day. That evening I did receive an email from the front desk manager suggesting that we look again in our luggage?!? Also, stating it was unfortunate and hope we enjoyed our stay!?! At this point I'm getting upset as it was simply just being passed along and brushed over by the GM. I sent a reply saying this was not acceptable and that as requested previously for the GM to contact me.

I finally get an email from the GM some 72 hours after the initial complaint.

Now the best part.......the GM states he's sorry we lost 1 shoe from a pair of shoes (where it became 1 shoe not a pair I have no clue) then states that in the 2 years that the hotel has been open nothing like this has ever happened, but rest assured because they have insurance for these type of situations. All I have to do for him is to file an insurance claim with the following:

File a police report with the police in Italy
Send the original purchase receipt of the shoes
Send a detailed account of the incident

Are you kidding me!!!! This is the response after 72 hours and when he knows I already left the country. I can only imagine the struggle of trying to file a police report in Italy from another country then trying to dig up the original receipt for a pair of shoes?

Like I stated before I have a retail business and part of doing retail is having to offer goodwill from time to time to make a customer happy even if you know your not necessarily in the wrong. In this case the hotel was indeed in the wrong because we had a pair of shoes stolen from our room! Yet no token of goodwill was even extended only the option for a complex process that I simply don't have time for nor wish to pursue over a pair of shoes.

The simple fact is as many travelers know a TRUE 5 STAR HOTEL would have handled this situation completely different. Also, it must be stated that in my many years of staying at 5 star hotels I've never had anything stolen, and I would assume thats due to the background checks and expecation of standards of employees at that these 5 star establishments by its management and ownership.

I would implore the ownership of this hotel to re-evaluate it's process and procedures and question the actions of a few employees including the General Manager that keep this hotel from being 5 stars.

SIMPLY STATED THIS IS NOT A 5 STAR HOTEL

TRAVELER BEWARE

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
33 Thank JZDC1
Priscilla H, General Manager at The First Luxury Art Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We took acknowledge of your severe comment on Trip Advisor.
Uniquely for the sake of truth, allow me to recapitulate the facts.

On your arrival day, you requested to obtain a free upgrade. Regrettably we were not able to offer a complimentary upgrade from the deluxe room to a suite, being the hotel almost fully booked and also out of respect to other hotel guests who had indeed booked (and paid) the suites. We however have offered a special rate for the upgrade at forfeited cost Euro 100 vat included instead of the official rate of Euro 110 ­to Euro 220 vat included according to the type of suite. You refused our proposal.

Regarding the restaurant, we have taken a good note of your review. It took us by surprise because we have sent many of our guests to the same restaurant with always positive feedback. This restaurant is known to be the local meeting point for the local vips, such as celebrities, soccer
players, politicians, etc. However being the location so centralised it is not avoidable to have also international clients. However if you could provide us more detail information about what dishes and wine you have ordered, we would definitely speak to the owner of the restaurant to get to the bottom of this story and make sure such issue to be clarified.

As for the situation with the missing shoes, we have indeed a complete record from our team that was on duty that day. You reported about the missing shoes around 11 pm to our Night Manager in which he said that he will verify with the housekeeping team that was already off duty at that time. Unfortunately our Night Manager did not have the time to verify with the housekeeping team since your departure was early morning around 7 am, therefore the same Night Manager reconfirmed our next action to verify with the housekeeping. During the day the manager on duty contacted each and every housekeeping staff that serviced your room during your whole stay period. Only after verifying with all staff with a satisfactory answer from each one of them, the same night our Duty
Manager (acting on behalf of the General Manager who shared the contents of the message) sent you an email advising of our finding. It was in good faith to suggest you to double check your luggage since we ourselves have experienced misplacing items during travelling. It was not at all meant to disregards your complaints. You then sent a reply asking me, the General Manager to contact you on Monday.

Promptly I contacted you on Monday around 11 am, fully acknowledging the situation, suggesting you to take the next step and advising you about our Insurance Company
policy. However in order to report to the insurance company, as I wrote on the email we would need additional supporting documents, such as the declaration of theft to the police authority (I didn't specify Italian authority), copy of the billing/invoice (this could be a copy of your credit card charges just as a prove of purchase and value of the shoes), and a formal statement of you explaining the facts. I am quite convinced that above documentation would be required by every hotel in the world regardless of the numer of stars, USA included. All was done in the highest esteem to help you solve the unfortunate situation: we have anticipated our Insurance Company that they will be hearing more details from us regarding this clcim and that we were waiting to receive some information from you. Instead of receiving the needed information to proceed with claiming the amount from our insurance company you wrote this likely unfair comment on Trip Advisor.

We were at await of your feedback and truly sorry if there was some misunderstanding along the way. All actions that we have taken in good faith were unfortunately misinterpreted. However we could comprehend the situation and therefore continue extending our offer to assist you solving the
situation with the help of our insurance company, given that you provided all needed documentation within a week time. Rest assured that we never found ourselves in this situation, I reconfirmed that our staff has been working with us since the opening of the hotel, they are extremely loyal to the company with the unique purpose to ensure that our guests have the most pleasant and memorable stay.

I trust this further effort to achieve a mutual comprehension has been succesfull. I would have suggested to refrain from using Tripadvisor like an unconventional weapon, however I respect your
initiative.

I look forward to receiving on my company email the needed documentation in order to hopefully meet your expectations.

Yours sincerely,