“a satisfied customer and would definitely consider this place for my next stay”
Review of Hotel Lunetta

Hotel Lunetta
Ranked #32 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Booked directly with the hotel and got their 'free use of spa/water facilities' promo, which is very worthwhile. One of the evenings, it was just my husband and I and another gentleman. Another night, even though I was told that there would be room, the place was basically taken over by 2 lovey-dovey couples who way overstayed their allotted time and were making me uncomfortable. (A word about this - based on other reviews, I understood that if you tell the hotel that you are reserving the water facilities from e.g..5-6 pm, that means there would either not be anyone else or maybe another couple (the facilities are small and don't lend themselves to having more than 4 people there - 6 would really be pushing it). On the second day, I asked about availability, the receptionist checked with the spa and said that the spa was reserved 4-5, but after 5 I could come at any time, but when I came down at about 5:20, I was told that there were 4-5 people there and I needed to come back 30 min later. Well, that did not work with my plans so I stayed - and good thing I did , because the aforementioned lovebirds were all still there kissing and doing god knows what else, and acting like they owned the spa, until 6, when I gave up and left.
The glass elevator is a nice feature, as are indoor/outdoor sitting spaces. Didn't check out the roof terrace (was too cold).

The room was very small, but clean and modern.
The safe was a nice feature, as was the minibar - not that well stocked, but with enough room to store some of our stuff).
Unfortunately, wi-fi doesn't work with iOS 6 in the rooms (but works in the lobby). I was able to work on my computer (not Apple) from the room some of the times, but not others (maybe the network only has a limited number of connection points and all were being used at that particular time).
Sound insulation is not good (we could hear people outside the room coming/going, talking, etc.O. For some unknown reason the first night of our stay the window was left open (we didn't open it and didn't realize it was open), which obviously exacerbated the noise issue.

The bathroom was large and nice (limited amenities, though). The tub was very deep and I used it a few times during the stay.
It was nice to have the "one level up" room - the wooden beams really added to the ambiance and the slanted ceilings -to the airy feeling.
The bed was a bit hard, not particularly comfortable.
The breakfast, included in the rate, was nice.
A good selection of cereal, breakfast breads, coldcuts/jams, fruit, and yogurt, as well as hard boiled and hot cooked eggs and hot meats. There's also a "wine and cheese" free tasting every afternoon that we didn't make it to, and hot drinks in the evening (which we took to the room - tea/hot water with lemon) were free.
Airport transfers were well organized and arrived on time.
Concierges were helpful with restaurant suggestions and airport check-in. Very good location.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Israel
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect with a walking distance from all major atrractions.
Many good resturants just outside the hotel.
Breakfast ws good and the staff was nice and friendly.
There was a problem with the heating , it was too hot inside the room and even with the open windows it was hot.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I'd love to give this hotel a much better rating but it had one major drawback for us. Our room was incredibly hot and made it difficult to sleep at night. We mentioned this several times to Reception and they kept telling us they'd switched the heating off but it never got any cooler. We didn't expect to have both windows open all the time in the middle of January (especially as we then got woken up by the noise outside)!! Our friends had the same problem with their room, as did another couple we spoke to at breakfast.

Apart from that, it was a lovely hotel. Great location, nice rooms, nice breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Luca R, Direttore at Hotel Lunetta, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Mark U.

First of all thank you for your time in writing the comment on your stay here at the Hotel Lunetta Roma.

We are very happy to read you enjoyed the Lunetta location, the Buffet Breakfast and friendly Staff and, of course, our well-appointed rooms.

We always think that the feedback from our guests is a very important tool to improve the level of service we provide to our valued guests as we deeply regret that you feel you have not received the first class service which Hotel Lunetta prides itself on.

For that we would like to explain that during those days you spent here, our maintenance was carrying out a lifetime upgrade to the main refrigerator unit, therefore you might have suffered from cold air limitation due to the work in progress.
Now everything is well solved and our electronic air conditioning system is back and performing very well.

We can only offer our most sincere apologies for that and assure you that for your future visit you will not suffer from any and that you will be amazed by the customer service and hospitality always offered here at Hotel Lunetta Roma.

With kindest regards.

Luca Rombi
Manager
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 21 January 2013

....what more could a girl ask?!

I just spent three nights here and it was truly a home from home in the pouring rain and miserable cold of Rome in January. The hotel is in an historic building which goes back to the days of ancient Rome, but which has been all gussied up on the inside and turned into the trendiest boutique hotel you can imagine. I was totally delighted with my room, which had a window in both the bedroom and the bathroom, looking out over an ancient, cobbled square. The decoration was up to the minute, from the (real) parquet floor in the bedroom to the beautiful white marble in the bathroom. An enormous tub welcomed for a hot soak, although it probably would've taken me all night to fill it to the top. Gorgeous, fluffy towels were on hand, and a couple of lovely robes. In fact the room had every amenity you could imagine, including Sky TV, a safe, minibar and even Champagne glasses for those of us who like to have a little fizz before a night on the tiles. I would say more five star than four star.

The breakfast was fantastic too. A great mixture of hot and cold, from cold cuts, to delicious cherry tomatoes in olive oil, to wonderful scambled egg and bacon. There were even some heavy duty toasters which made probably the best and crunchiest toast in the world. And then, if all that wasn't enough, a big plate of cake! You are certainly not going to be hungry after this breakfast!

There is a spa in the basement with all kinds of treatments which we didn't try, but it is worth going down there just to look at the remains of the ancient Roman theatre which used to be on the site. It's allegedly the place where Julius Caesar was stabbed by Brutus and with the low spa lighting and the dampness which seems to envelop you when you get out of the lift, you can almost imagine you are back in the dim and distant past. Truly fascinating and not just limited to the hotel - several restaurants in the block have remains of the same theatre in their basements too.

I had a couple of teensy niggles from my stay, although they didn't alter my five star rating. One is that the temperature in the room was set at 23 degrees C, which although is marvellous when coming in from the cold initially, is way too hot to sleep in. I mentioned this to the desk and the chap said he would alter it to 20 degrees from his control panel....and then didn't. So we suffered another two nights in boiling heat.

The second tiny niggle was that the bath had no shower curtain, so every time I had a shower, and despite my best intentions, the floor ended up flooded and took about three towels to soak it all up. If you are staying longer than three nights, this could get old.

However, so many other wonderful things more than made up for these niggles. The fact that there are little outside areas on each floor for people to go out and smoke on, the lovely bar with friendly bar staff and delicious cocktails and the roof terrace, which seemed to be closed while we were there. I most definitely intend to go back to try that out.

And finally, the gorgeous, helpful man on reception who offered me train and bus advice on the phone before I even arrived and was charming and delightful for all of the stay. Worth going back for him alone!

Top notch!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Olten, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Our family (two adults and a teenage son) had a three night’s stay at this lovely boutique hotel amidst Rome’s old town. It’s just off Campo dei Fiori, a bustling square, but on a quiet corner. The hotel is centrally located so that you can reach all points of interest by foot, we only needed a taxi for the trip to the airport. The Lunetta has 30 rooms which have been recently remodelled. We had the Family Suite with two adjoining rooms. The master room was large, had a very comfortable king size bed and an additional (pull-out) sofa. Its bathroom was spacious, with a double sink, a tub and a shower. The second room had a queen size bed and was conveniently sized with an adequate bathroom. We were very much in favour of this suite, also there was no noise from the exterior (double-glazed windows) and the air-con was near to silent. The rooms were tastefully decorated and immaculately cleaned. Breakfast was included in the room rate and was served in a cramped room. There was a buffet with a nice selection, especially the pastries were very good. Overall, breakfast was okay but nothing to write home about. There was also a roof top bar which was quite nice and a spa, which we didn’t use so we can’t comment on it. By the way, the hotel was built on the remains of the walls of the Theatre of Pompeius, which the staff are pleased to show you. The employees were friendly and helpful and were always wearing a smile. In conclusion, a conveniently located boutique hotel with generously sized renovated rooms with welcoming staff, very much recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This was a new, modern hotel in the heart of ancient Roma. It is a block away from Campo Fiori and about a 15 minute walk from both the Colosseum and the Vatican. It is also near great local restaurants for dinners out.

Our room was on the small side but what you would expect in a city hotel and the bed was a full king. We were in the "deluxe" room, which was 1 level up from their cheapest rooms, so I'm not sure what they would be like, although I think the "deluxe" of our room was being on the top floor with a vaulted ceiling, so I imagine the regular rooms were similar, without those 2 features. Everything was very clean and new. The bathroom was huge. Breakfast was fresh and delicious- yogurts, cereal, pastries, bread, cheese, coffee, tea and juice. The staff was accommodating and happy to give tips on dinner reservations. They do also arrange tours. Our package included free use of the hot tub and sauna, which was in the basement- check out the pictures on the website, the basement is actually the ruins of the ancient Pompeii theater. You have to schedule a time to use the facilities, which is nice because you get the hot tub to yourself rather than sharing with others. They also have massages and other services. The roof top bar area is also nice, although as we were there in November it was not in full operation but the weather was nice enough to bring back our afternoon gelato and hang out for a little while.

I would definitely return to this hotel and highly recommend it to active couples who want to see most of Rome by walking, which is who most of the guests were. There were also 1 or 2 families there. It is a small, unique, excellent boutique hotel that gives you the cultural feeling of being in Italy without taking away the comforts of home.

Room Tip: The deluxe room gave us a few extras like being on the top floor. Check out other reviews to see wh...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cindy1115
New York, NY
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Lunetta with my husband and our 12 year old son for one night when we stopped off in Rome on our way back to NYC. We had the family suite, which consists of a queen sized bed with en suite bathroom and also a pull-out sofa room with its own en suite bathroom. There is also a lovely terrace with contemporary wicker furniture. The room was very comfortable for one night, however we could not have spent a whole week there. It would have been too cramped. The design of the hotel is a very nice combination of the old (such as the wood beams on the ceiling) and the contemporary (such as the glass elevator). There is a spa in the basement, which includes treatment rooms along with a sauna, a steam room and even a whirlpool bath. So bring a bathing suit. The breakfast was quite good. The staff was very friendly and nice. That area just off the Campo dei Fiori is a fun place to be.

Room Tip: The penthouse family suite would make an amazing honeymoon suite. Not really big enough, though, fo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family