“Disappointing”
Review of Hotel Gioberti

Hotel Gioberti
Ranked #709 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 May 2013

First off they are dishonest. They booked me an extra night in error and said they would credit my card for their error and never did, even after vowing via email they had submitted the credit to my bank. This is a 3rd rate hotel which markets themselves as an upscale hotel but offers none of the amenities of an upscale hotel. WI-FI is not included, there is no restaurant or room service in the hotel. The rooms are shoddy and cheap. My bed broke and collapsed with me in it and I am a moderate man who weighs 185 pounds. The standup showers are too small and you cannot manuever in them unless you are a midget. They do offer a buffet breakfast but it is limited and unimpressive. The front desk staff was nice and very helpful but overall this was a very unpleasant stay and experience. It is a Days Inn hotel with a Ritz Carlton price.

Room Tip: Mercure Hotels
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank simmonr
Hotel_Gioberti, Revenue Manager at Hotel Gioberti, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear Mr Simmons,
We are really surprised about your comment! We are sorry about your unpleasant stay (we do our best to offer the best service!) but we can’t accept been called dishonest: the reservation you made through our web site was made for the nights you choose to stay at our Hotel with a prepaid not refundable solution (conditions accepted at the time of confirmation: Payment and Cancellation Policy for Advance Purchase Rate: Full payment in advance is required for this reservation. Reservations are final and require full prepayment for the entire stay. Credit card is charged at time of booking. No refunds if cancelled or changed). After a few days we received a mail from you admitting your mistake of dates of stay and asked to have the last night refunded. We agreed with the refund (advising you about how slow this could be!) even thought the nature of the reservation could have allowed us to tell you that nothing was due as reservation was made from you. The hotel staff started the procedure of refund but credit cards circuits are not so fast. We would like you to check your mail box, we sent to you the documentation stating that we acted with the credit card circuit immediately and that from January your refund was made on 14th May. Please call your credit card and check this matter as on our side the refund kindly agreed from us was made. We are sure that you will write back publicly here that no mistakes about extra night was made on our side and that we were really kind on giving to you back the amount that we could have kept due to the nature of the reservation.
The following morning you had your bed collapsed the hotel staff immediately fixed the problem out even though no information was given from you. Usually guests should refer to the reception so that the hotel can immediately act with a new room or fixing the problem out. Likely our staff realized itself and did it independently from your information.
Regarding wi-fi service is free of charge for guests with direct reservations, if you had requested you would have had it for free as you made the reservation from our website (no charges of wi-fi were made under your name!!). The hotel does not have restaurant and nowhere is differently stated. Breakfast room service is available on request with an extra supplement.
We are sure you will agree with us that after all, even if your did not like the hotel, we demonstrated flexibility on giving to you back the money that we would have had the right to keep.
We are looking forward to reading a review from you about our honesty and care of guests. Best regards.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Gioberti

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Very good location - proximity to downtown sites and the main "Termini" station. But the area around Termini is very seedy with panhandlers et al. It makes you want to leave the city. Not kidding. This is a 3 star hotel that somehow won a 4-star rating. Oh well, suck it up to save money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rjw420
Reviewed 25 April 2013

First the positive - it is located in a very good place - right next to the Rome main train terminal. This makes it incredibly convenient to rail, bus and metro travel. It is very easy to get around from this location. The included breakfast was very good as well.

Now, the total picture. The location is a disadvantage, also. Lots of unsavory characters were hanging around the streets near the train terminal. It is a den of thieves. So watch yourself and your valuables in this area. I did not venture out of the hotel past 8p, and I strongly suggest that you do likewise. The room was average, at best. The carpet was worn, the bathroom was outdated, and the rooms did not have air conditioning. I had a room on the 5th floor which made it very uncomfortable when coming back in the late afternoon. The front desk was of little help, even for very simple questions. Their only answer was to offer a local "guide" at a very high fee. Conclusion. One would expect much more for the money they charge. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mike K
Hotel_Gioberti, Revenue Manager at Hotel Gioberti, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for your spontanious comment.

We are sorry you had the perception that Hotel Gioberti does not have air conditioning as the system is for both heating and cooling. The system was in winter mode in March (during your stay!) due to the temperature changes that can't be forecasted in Rome!

Rooms do not have carpets and we guess you ment corridor's carpets that have not been all changed yet.

Our main goal is to offer a good service and we have taken in to serious consideration all the points you have stated in your comment that is really important to us.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

The Hotel Gioberti is located a half block from the Roma Termini train station. We were able to walk to every location we wanted to see. We walked from the Hotel to the Coliseum, the Trevi Fountain (15 - 20 min walks) It is only 1/2 hr. walk to the Vatican or the Spanish steps. The Hotel has a great breakfast and is very clean. TV has an option that allows some channel to change to English audio. The only minuses are the tiny shower stall and the very hard beds. Note that Wi-Fi is not free.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your comment! We are very pleased you had a nice stay and that you appreciated our service!
We hope to host you again!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Hotel Gioberti was awesome. It was extremely clean, the staff was very friendly, the breakfast was great. It is an excellent location for touring Rome - walking distance to Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour, train terminal, and underground. Restaurants are right around the corner.

Room Tip: This is an excellent budget hotel for touring.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SueCedarPark_Tx
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The location is near the train station which was nice. The rooms were a nice size and the bathroom actually had a door and not just a partition which I liked. I did find the mattress to be particularly hard and uncomfortable and one night the tv did not work, not sure if the cable was out. The breakfast was great and I found the staff to be very friendly and pleasant, I would recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel_Gioberti, Revenue Manager at Hotel Gioberti, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear Guest,
we really appreciate your positive comment about our hotel! We are looking forward to hosting you again to give to you best customere service!!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

This IS not my first time to Rome or staying around the termini station. Other hotels which are more costly did not offer everything this hotel had to offer that is only a block from the terminal. The staff was very helpful, my room had plenty of room to walk around in and kept super clean by the staff,I had a room with a view but the thick walls and the double glassed windows kept the noise out when I wanted to sleep. The pictures they put in their advertisement is exactly what you get, which I can't say for other hotels in the area. Breakfast was great and there are plenty of other eateries if I wanted to skip breakfast and get something else. There are plenty of places to shop for souvenirs too and if you ask, the staff will suggest where the best deals are which to me was very helpful since I wanted a few high end things for my daughter in law. Someone complained about the internet charges, it's about the same at every hotel in the area, but then again I don't use it since I love to go to the cyber cafes to do all my logging on and calling home. Someone said they felt the area unsafe. Unsafe? I love going out at night and hopped in at 2 in the am or later and didn't feel the area was unsafe at all. This is going to be my favorite place to stay from now on.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Victoria A
Hotel_Gioberti, Revenue Manager at Hotel Gioberti, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear Guest,
we are delighted to read about your appreciation. Our aim is to offer the best service always! The entire staff would like to thank you for leaving such a comment and we are all waiting for you to be back at Hotel Gioberti!