“Close to Colosseum”
Review of Chocolat Inn

Chocolat Inn
Ranked #794 of 3,710 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This was a last minute booking and not my first choice, but the hotel was in a great location within walking distance of the Colosseum and Forum. Actually, we walked to everything from this hotel. The room was adequate, with A/C, but somewhat noisy. The bathroom was small and the shower stall door not working very well. The owner, Roberta, met us initially, but we never saw her again in 5 days. Christina, who put out the breakfast rolls and coffee and cleaned the rooms, was there each day until early afternoon. Although Christina was friendly and helpful, she had been living there only about a year (from Romania), and it would have been nice to have seen Roberta there a little more than once during our stay. A good thing was the little grocery right outside the door....we could buy some drinks and other items fairly inexpensively. Breakfast was on the "not much" scale (unappetizing rolls and a few pastries), but likely similar to what Italians offer at many small hotels. We thought this was expensive for the room, but we couldn't be picky since it was last minute.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike B
There are newer reviews for Chocolat Inn

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I had a wonderful time at Chocolate inn, thanks to Christina , my hostess while Roberta took some days off. The room and bathroom was clean and just what I wanted.centrally located , close enough to everything that you can walk to all the sights. The breakfast was what I heard of before I booked....and it did not disappoint ....wonderfully warm baked pastries every morning with good coffee. Thank you, I will be back

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street , those can be noisy
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hennie K
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We had 6 people (all women) traveling in our party. Roberta (Owner) was kind enough to offer to book us a Shuttle from Rome airport to the Chocolat Inn for 60euros. I wish I had taken her up on it, as it cost us 90Euro for a van to transport us from the airport to the B&B. Lesson learned!

Upon arrival Roberta was there to greet us, our rooms were not ready but she allowed us to use a room to change and leave our bags to go exploring the city of Rome. She offered us expresso and provided us a map with bus information, as well as local restaurants to eat at. Both she and her assistant were very accomodating. Her restaurant recommendations were exceptional!

Our rooms where very clean, we booked the quad room and a double. The quad does face the street, and if you sleep with the windows open, can be noisy. But with the windows closed and the AC on, the noise disappeared.

In the evening we were invited to use the kitchen as if our own. My family and I sat at the table and drank wine and played games. It was a wonderful way to relax after a long day on a flight and touring Rome.

Breakfast was wonderful. Homemade Jams, fresh Pastries and delicous Americano coffee.

After breakfast, we asked to store our bags so we could go exploring once more before our train trip to Lucca, Italy. Again very accomodating and Roberta was happy to oblige.

Wifi was a bit spotty, worked well in the lobby and sometimes while in the room. But I didn't go to Italy to surf the net.

There is a Lift, however, we did not use. We were able to carry our bags up the stairs. Property is close to the Termini and Ancient Rome. There is a store right next door for water or snacks (and groceries,if needed).

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Booked this on account of finding a good deal for Rome at the last minute, not easy as Rome is an expensive place. This was the perfect stopover for a couple of nights, more like a chilled out home environment. Roberta's assistant Cristina was on duty as I arrived, who was thoroughly helpful, going through all the major sites on a map, and recommended local (ie. not touristy) restaurants and cafes. Everything was just easy, which I can't stress enough how important that is when you are on a flying visit. Rooms are clean, beds are big and comfortable, and the breakfast the next morning huge and delicious, the usual (fabulous) coffee and juices and a selection of wonderful home-made pastries, as has been mentioned elsewhere. Nothing disappointed. met Roberta on the final morning, who was lively, friendly and helpful. It just felt cosy :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank roberciku
Reviewed 24 May 2013

OK, I don't want to be over critical but I feel that other peoples experience ,if honest, can help readers avoid over rated comments which I was taken in by.
So we arrived though late because the place is so hard to find wet from the rain to find that our room was not available, excuse given shower head broken, needs replacing and will be done for you to move into the next morning, however I will give you a larger room but the toilet seat is broken but will be fixed this afternoon, was it NO.
We moved the next morning, well not really as the room needed cleaning apparently, appeared to have been occupied, so we were asked to leave our cases in the room and they would be moved for us.
After a long day arrived back to the room, Shower head not fixed, room was clean, TV crap unless you are a fluent in Italian, i.e. not even BBC world news/Euro news.
Breakfast was very average, no cereals/toast and no juice the second morning.
Meet the owner once on arrival and that was it.
Would I stay there again !No! price way to high for what was on offer. Location was very good is all the best I can say. Oh yes and finally watch out for the prices of a cappuccino around Rome they vary from 1-7+euros

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The place itself is well located (Near Termini, Coilseum and other spots) and bedroom was very clean, but Roberta (the owner) wasn´t there when I arrived (a friend of hers gave me key), so no information about anything available. Roberta is very nice and gave some good tips, but it would´ve been better if she was there on the first day. For people who likes some attention, like me, it was a little disappointing. Nevertheless, if you don´t have this kind of concern, I would recomend the place: location, location, location!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Location: On main road joining Termini and Colosseum
Hotel: Small 5-6 room B&B, internet in lobby, breakfast served in the kitchen area
Room: Big with 3 beds, facing main road, therefore a bit noisy, no ventilation in bathroom
Positives: Close to Termini but far enough to appear residential; lift/elevator in building, great hostess, laundromat downstairs (very good customer service)
Negatives: Rooms need a bit of work, bad ventilation in bathroom, wifi only in main lobby

Chocolat Inn is run by a wonderful lady who is chasing her dream. Roberta is very sweet and helpful and if I had to rate the B&B's owner then I would give it a 5 star. However, even she acknowledged that the place is work-in-progress and a few things do need fixing.

Located along Via Cavour on the 3rd level of a building with an elevator, Chocolat Inn has 5-6 rooms of different sizes. There is a laundromat in the building with very helpful Asians running the place (you can leave your bag with them, tell them which clothes you want dried on hanger which ones to iron and they'll have it ready in a few hours). There are several good restaurants within 1km and Colosseum is a stop away by the train. You can walk down from Termini (downward sloping road) but if you are carrying heavy luggage back up, may be a problem.

However, when we reached, we were given a smaller room than we had booked due to some overbooking issues. Roberta wasn't around and the lady who let us in couldn't communicate in English, so we had to let it pass. Roberta explained the next morning that she would shift us into the appropriate room. The new room was spacious, had 3 beds, however, the a/c was directly above the bathroom door and hence a problem. However, we wish that they changed linen and bedsheets more often.

The breakfast that we were served was very good compared to the ones that we ate in most other hotels/B&B. Roberta was very helpful in all ways. We enjoyed our stay here and most likely will return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple