“I wanted to leave a tip”
Review of 'Gusto-Osteria

'Gusto-Osteria
Ranked #2,737 of 12,951 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Reviewed 1 November 2013

As an american, it's difficult to get used to the idea that in Italy (or all of Europe), you only leave a tip if you are really impressed and 1 or 2 euro per person is the going rate. Our waiter was very cordial and pleasant to talk to. He got our jokes and even brought a few to the table himself. The food he brought was also excellent. Our friend who brought us was able to eat gluten free while I had the spinach ricotta ravioli and shared a cacio e pepe spaghetti. Wine, cheese, meats and dessert were all satisfying and although we paid a hefty price (~50 USD per person), I still wanted to leave a tip. Just to be clear, the osteria is on a smaller street on the backside of the building from the wine bar.

1  Thank Mycelium

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Stubbled across this place whilst my boyfriend were looking for somewhere to wmeat after a long days sightseeing. Looked pleasant enough from te outside and it wasnt too busy. As it was a nice evening, we decided to sit outside (table was quite small and not much leg room, but did the job). We werent overly hungry so just ordered mains of grilled swordfish and a side of green beans/black olives for me and my boyfriend had veal rolls with a side of roast potatoes. All of the food was delicious and surprisingly filling even though we didnt initially bmkqkwbdseen to have that much on our plates! :D For dessert, I had a panacotta with forest fruits and my bf had a ricotta and blackberry tartlet , again both delicious! Can not fault the food at all and definitely worth paying a little extra than usual for. They thing I could fault was that the local beer they served which wasn't particularly the best and service charge was a little high too at 15%.

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I cant say that I like those typical trattorias, 'gusto was a nice surprise!! Really nice decor inside & outside.. the food was fine, and the prices higher than other similar places but not to high. I m from Greece and the prices in most places like this one are the same, so i think its ok. We went there at about 5 on the afternoon and it was really quiet. The staff was also very kind.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is a nice looking place, what stars I give it are for the design. Food was not great, ordered pasta vongole, pasta part was just ok, but the clams had lots of grit all through them... when I mentioned it to the waiter he was pretty much like, yeah, yeah, yeah. House red wine good value at 4.50 for half-litre. Served with a dirty wineglass though. The worst part though, was looking up to see two waiters making mean jokes about my looks in Italian only a few feet away. What gives? Maybe the service is better for locals. 15% service charge added to bills.

1  Thank SoNeutral
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The first time I went there for lunch it was chock-a-block. Why it is always full while so many reviews regards the food and pricing are negative is a true mystery. The place has atmosphere and the area is pleasant, just near the Ara Pacis.

Let me first clarify that there are a number of Gusto Restaurants in this area, the restaurant, the osteria, the wine-bar. They are all within a minute distance. The Osteria is in a side alley and not easy to find. This time we went to the Osteria Gusto at about 5 pm and there was hardly anybody there but they were still open to serve us. We only ordered the Tonnarelli Cacio e Pepe (spaghetti type pasta with Roman sheep cheese and pepper) one of the most traditional dishes of the Lazio region. However, as many remarked, the waiter did immediately bring water and bread for which one is then charged about 4€. The coffee here is also very steep (2.75€) and there is a service charge.

However, the tonnarelli cacio e pepe were lovely, If one takes one's time and eats one course only (slowly), then this place is not bad. Price? Around 16€ per person for the tonnarelli, bread and water and service.