“Great Base for Visiting Rome”

Ranked #171 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Base for Visiting Rome”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

A great base for a visit to Rome with family. The view from the pool to the Colosseum is pretty spectacular! Lots of public transport options nearby and walking was easy.

The hotel building is not particularly attractive however a visit to the pool is very welcome after those hot days sightseeing. The rooms whilst small were spotless, the beds comfortable and the bath/rooms nicely furnished. Bottles of water were replaced everyday and wifi worked well.
We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but they were plenty of bars nearby, as well as good dining options. Also a laundry service!

The staff on reception whilst always busy were always accommodating, professional and friendly.

Would definitely recommend

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SCT S
Giuseppe F, Room Division Manager at Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review about your stay with us.

I am really glad you enjoyed the location and ha a chance to appreciate our Terrace. I am grateful for the kind words of appreciation towards our staff, they really work very hard to give every Guest a special stay.

I look forward to welcoming you again at the Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre.

Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greater Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This is a hop skip and a jump to the Collosuem, literally just down the road.

It has to be perfectly located for this attraction. Location wise to the CBD and other attractions... Not so much.
You can of course go over to the Forum, and some other significant and amazing ancient structures.
But take comfy shoes as you will need t walk a little bit to reach the CBD, or further again if you want to see St Peters, Trevi etc.

Personally, it was somewhat of a trek, but as Rome is one of my most loved places on earth to visit... It doesn't bother me.

I do always make a point now of staying as close as possible to the centre so I am able to get good walking distance to the various attractions.

The hotel offers small rooms, good pricing generally, the food menu is good, but isn't as extensive as one would like.
The rooftop area with pool is good and affords very nice views... Great to have a cold drink up there in summer whilst soaking up Rome from the rooftop.

The staff are efficient and good... but you will need to remember that you get what you pay for.

I would recommend this to others for sure.
But you will need to think about paying more t be closer to other attractions.

Overall, very good.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review about your stay with us.

I agree with you that the hotel is perfectly located and am really glad you enjoyed your room and our Terrace. I thank you for your comments on our bar menu, I am glad to inform you that we arranged a completely new bar offer based on our Guest’s feedback lately, and it really seems to meet everyone expectations.

I am grateful for your word of appreciation towards our staff, they really work hard to give every Guest an unforgettable experience.

I look forward to welcoming you again at the Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The staff at mercure are good and efficient. They speak good English. Check in was very good and easy. Without asking we got upgraded to a colosseum view room. A nice gesture. I wasn't bothered about view though.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk from colosseum so it is good for sightseeing. Also very close to the metro station!
I mainly booked this hotel as I like Mercures and it has a rooftop pool. This was great as a nice escape from the summer city heat. It's not a big pool. Very small actually. But it gives the opportunity for people to relax/ sunbath a little in a busy city!
Only downside is I think breakfast is quite expensive. 16 euros for full breakfast Buffett or 8 euros for a pastry and coffee.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kitty8704
Giuseppe F, Room Division Manger at Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review about your stay at the Mercure Roma Centro Colosseo.

I am very glad you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our pool. I am also grateful for the kind words of appreciation referred to our staff.

Our Buffet breakfast has a very good value considering the wide offer of products included. The Express breakfast represents a convenient alternative that on a buffet basis offers any hot drink, a selection of croissant and pastries, yogurt and fruit juices.

I thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you in our hotel in the future.

Mercure Roma Centro Colosseo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2014

All hail TripAdvisor's "filter by amenity" feature! Without it I might never have discovered this hen's-tooth of a Rome hotel. My spouse is a daily lap swimmer and doing this in Rome is not easy, especially if you are looking for a hotel with a pool. Most of your options are well away from the center, or very expensive (sometimes both). Here's a modern hotel within an easy (10 minute) walk from the Colosseum (where there is a Line B Metro station), on a busy street with tram and bus stops right outside, next to a charming neighborhood of apartments and small restaurants -- and, as we discovered, one of Rome's lesser-known but definitely must-see-able churches, San Clemente (St. Giovanni in Laterano, one of Rome's four basilicas, is also within walking distance, along the charming, narrow street of the same name). Oh yeah, the hotel: small (but not tiny) rooftop pool, small but well-equipped rooms, friendly reception and service, and a quite bountiful breakfast buffet (including prosecco for Mimosa drinkers) offered in a sunny ground-floor dining room. Our snug air-conditioned double room suggested a stateroom on a cruise ship, an impression strengthened by one of the windows being shaped like a porthole. On top of all this the place is affordable! I can't see why anyone who likes the convenience of an in-house swimming pool would stay anyplace else in Rome.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Via Labicana, the main street might be noisy, but our room was in the rear. Overal...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MikeHoulahan5832
Giuseppe F, Quality Relais at Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Mercure Roma Centro Colosseo.

I am very glad you enjoyed the location and our pool, it is indeed a real asset to our hotel. I am also happy you liked Our breakfast choice and I thank you for the nice word about our staff.

I really look forward welcoming you again in our hotel.

Sara Fiorenza
Quality Relais
Mercure Roma Centro Colosseo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

So me and my wife stayed here for a romantic weekend! We really enjoyed the trip and the hotel! Exellent and really friendly service. The rooftop with bar and pool is awesome, especially the view over rom! If you are looking for a nice hotel at the heart of rom this is the right location!

Dear Guest,

Thank your for sharing your experience at the Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre.

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our beautiful terrace.

I look forward to welcoming you again for your next trip to Rome.

portsmouth
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is a short walk from the coliseum, all the other sites are within walking distance. The rooms are fairly small but are functional with most of the things you need such as hair dryer, kettle, tv etc. The shallow rooftop pool is a bonus with views of the coliseum. The only criticism I would make is the cost of the breakfast and drinks. You can go to any number of local cafes to get a breakfast of coffee and pastry for half the cost of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank your for writing this review about your stay at the Mercure Rome Colosseum Centre.

I am really glad you had enjoyable experience and appreciated the location.

I look forward to welcoming you again for your next trip to Rome.