“Average, but not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ripa Roma

Hotel Ripa Roma
Ranked #380 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
“Average, but not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I saw pics thru booking website, I booked it right away cuz' it's reasonable price and hotel look great. When I arrived, I was disappointed. Hotel was older than it showed on website. The rest was ok. I wish I looked around more before decided.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Upland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We booked this hotel through a deal on Travelzoo and our experience was wonderful. First, the hotel is a little tricky to find. If coming from the airport, take the train to Trastevere (8 Euros). When you come out of the station you can either take the tram towards Argentina Square. (It's about 3 stops - get off at Piazza Bernardino da Felte) or you can walk. It's about 15-20 mins. (a bit further than stated on the hotel’s directions with your booking confirmation.) Go right, when you come out of the train station, following the tram tracks, until you get to Bernardinoo da Felte (it's a small square with a lot of parked cars on the right). Turn right here, and the hotel is on the left down a side alley.

Front desk - everyone was very helpful. They provided a map, food recommendations, which buses/trams to get to the sights, and sold bus tickets. Everyone spoke good English.

Room - large for Europe, modern and minimalist. Ours had a balcony and these amazing electronic shutters that blocked out all sound and light. It was extremely quiet and very clean. The only minus was that the bed was not that comfortable. We could feel the springs and our double was two mattresses put together but we found this everywhere in Italy.

Breakfast - Wow! Room is huge, light and airy. Huge selection including eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, breads, pastries, juices, coffee, water etc. Much more than we expected for Europe.

Location – We personally loved the Trastevere area. It is about 50/50 tourists/local Italians. We liked getting away from the high tourist areas. We used the bus/tram to get to the main sights. We could have walked but wanted to save our energy for walking around the actual sights! Public transport is cheap and frequent and just steps away from the hotel on the main road. We walked into Trastevere every evening for dinner (about a 10 min walk). We found the restaurants to be good value and quality compared to the other areas we visited in Italy. Our favorite was Ivo’s on Via San Francesco a Ripa (closed on Tuesdays). Order the cacio e pepe, (a local Roman dish) and all the pizzas were good. (We went there twice) We also enjoyed dinners at Popi Popi (also on Via San Francesco a Ripa) and Casetta Del Trastevere in Piazza de’Renzi (very traditional Roman food).

Overall, we found the Ripa Hotel to be tremendous value, in great location and we would recommend it to friends and return next time we are in Rome. I would highly recommend staying in the Trastevere area if you want to see today’s real Rome, and easily get tired of the high tourist areas with their low quality food and high prices.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor, overlooking an empty apartment building on the side of the hotel. Eve...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank twoAmericantourists
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was traveling to Rome on a business trip and as it happens sometimes, my client who was in charge of arranging my accommodation, didn't do such a great job. As a result, I arrived in Rome with nowhere to stay... because of a misunderstanding with my original booking. I was practically stranded after arriving from the airport and supposed to conduct an orchestra the morning after! I remembered that a friend of mine once mentioned the Ripa Hotel and I managed to find the number and call. I was blessed to hear that they had one room left for that very night!

I arrived there with my luggage and was helped right away in a very courteous manner by the staff. I was pleased to notice the beautiful decor and the attention to details in the lobby's design.

I was lead to my room on the third floor and I couldn't have been happier. The style was somewhat minimal and elegant at the same time, without compromising comfort.
The bathroom was very well designed and as soon as I saw the bathtub I couldn't help using it right away.. with great pleasure.

I would highly recommend this nice hotel to anybody who's looking to stay away from big anonymous chains hotels and at the same receive a great service. If you wish to have a wonderful experience in one of the most beautiful cities in the world you might want to consider this hotel.

I went to work the next day with a smile on my face and felt lucky to have found this pearl, so unexpectedly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank sgiuliani
brighton,uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husbands 40th birthday. After reading loads of tripadvisor reviews I chose Ripa for his location and style. I definitely made the right choice. We found our way from Fumicino airport with no problems-a train to Trastevere station and tram (8euros each). Trastevere has lots of lovely bars and restaurants which you just stumble on and all seem fairly good value. Its an easy walk to the coloseum and other attractions too. the hotel itself is tucked away down a side street so was not noisy. We were happy with our room that was large and stylish with a balcony. the staff had remembered the prosecco I ordered so that was chilling for us. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the breakfast buffet was great! I loved the dining room which was white and airy and had an attractive funky feel. the food was plentiful and nice-fresh fruits, yogurts, eggs, ham,mushrooms and toast etc. Staff were polite and helpful and spoke english. I can't really think of one bad aspect of this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sarah d
ariannaroscioli, General Manager at Hotel Ripa Roma, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Ripa experience with the TripAdvisor community.
Your words are a gift for us.

I really appreciate your understanding of our style and service.

Kind Regards,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I wanted to propose to my wife in Rome, so I suggested we have a vacation right after Christmas. We picked the Ripa hotel based on the location and reviews, this is definitely a 4 star hotel with comfortable and stylish rooms but the best part of our stay was the staff. The day before I wanted to propose I was getting nervous and I was still undecided on how to do it, so I decided to ask an advice to the concierge. Sabina and Patricio were superb! Sabina brought us breakfast the following morning, on the tray there was a basket of rose petals with the ring inside. My (now) wife said yes and I became the happiest man in the word! Patricio, thanks again for your advice, whenever you want to visit San Francisco, a ticket to see the 49ers will be on me!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear 49rs 1972,

my entire staff and I are delighted to read your comments.

Sabina And Patrizio say HI, they remember you very well,and we all will be happy to meet again her at the Ripa Hotel.
You made our day so special so thank you,
The Ripa Family loves Romance in Rome <3

kindest regards

Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My colleague and I wanted a hotel within walking distance to The American School in Rome as we were attending/presenting at a conference there. We chose Hotel Ripa based on information found on the internet. Upon arrival, the desk staff were very friendly and helpful (and bilingual). Our room was very accommodating, but nothing fancy. There were two instances that were not met with satisfaction from us during our stay. First, our room was cleaned during the day while were were away from the hotel. Once we returned to find a long black hair in the sink and one in the bidet (which we never used and would not belong to either of us). This same night, we found cigarette butts on the balcony floor and in our trash can. On another night, after returning from dinner, we found our balcony door open. Not unlocked, but unlocked and open (about a foot wide). We were startled to walk into a dark room, turn the lights on, and see this! We are two women traveling abroad alone, so this did not settle well at all! After searching the room over, we went downstairs to report this. The hair and cigarette incident seemed insignificant compared to the door, but we reported both. Hotel management was conerned and did say they would address the problem with the appropriate staff member. On another night, I wanted to purchase wi-fi minutes so I could Skype home, so I went to the desk and asked to purchase the minutes. The male clerk, Patrizio, took my money and gave me change and the coupon and password needed to sign on. I had a question with the exchange as I paid in dollars (as we had done 3 night previously) but their cost was calculated in Euros. When I proposed my question to Patrizio, he was obviously insulted (for some reason), raised his voice, and loudly exclaimed, "It is VERY EASY, Madame! You gave me this... I gave you that... It IS correct!" I was quite taken aback by his abrupt answer and retreated to my room, all the while, mumbling under my voice. The more I thought about it, the more frustrated I became as I recounted my change and still didn't agree nor understand his calculations. So I returned down to the desk and approached him again by saying, "I am still confused about this transaction. I just don't understand how my change is this amount. I am not stupid, I just don't understand. Can you please explain this to me again?" He left the desk area, went to a calculator, pushed some series of buttons, tore off the tape, and placed the paper in front of me, again exclaiming, "Madame, this is VERY EASY! You see, the total is there (as he points to the paper)." So I just politely told him "I am obviously American. In America, customers can ask others questions without being yelled at. It's my money, I'm spending it here with you. I have just said I don't understand the transaction and have just asked for assistance with it. Nothing more. What I don't expect is to be yelled at by you. It's not what I'm paying for." He quickly rebuked and said, "No.. Madame, Madame... you misunderstood me. I"m so sorry you misunderstood me." I quickly interjected, "there's no misunderstanding the fact that you were rude and you are rude." I asked him for the name of his manager and he gave me a blank piece of paper and placed a pen on top of the paper. He then spoke the name of his manager. So I wrote it down and assured him I would be in touch with her. I did follow up with the manager and she was apologetic, but assured me there must have been some sort of communication barrier. I say NO WAY! People can talk with their bodies, actions, jestures, eyes, etc... regardless of the language barrier. This guy was either having a bad day, didn't like Americans (or blondes), didn't like being questioned. As a customer, I feel I have the right to question any charge. I hope some things have changed there. Don't think I'd be recommending this hotel to anyone. It's a shame to say as I'm sure all of Rome is not the same.

Room Tip: Sorry, wish I had one!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank laryan0616
ariannaroscioli, Direttore generale at Hotel Ripa Roma, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Madam ,

I personally undertook accurate investigation regarding all the issues described on your trip advisor comment. I was astonished to find out that all of the above had already been discusses and seemingly had been sorted during your stay and before your departure. After you left the Ripa hotel, our lovely and very professional Front Desk manager exchanged with you several nice emails and you always closed it with friendly words and good wishes for the Hotel and the staff. Regarding Patrizio, he is not English mother tongue and as the manager explained to you, we find hard to believe what happened. He's always extremely polite but on that particular occasion he might not have chosen the right word to explain himself and as it often mistakenly happen, people believe that the use of an higher tone of voice help the understanding, therefore he might have been louder than necessary but certainly not yelling rudely and aggressively. Being you a teacher you may understand these communication gaps.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review more than 3 months after your departure.
You're comments are a gift to us and you're teaching to all the Ripa hotel and maybe to the worldwide hotel industry that even if a guest leaves the hotel with a smile, you never know what may happen next... thank you again for your valuable help and suggestion.

Ripa Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Well a quirky/retro hotel tucked away in Trastervere, with funky seating & an even funkier dining room but in a nice smiley way, if you know what I mean. The room was large & very comfortable, though a few draws wouldn't go a miss, there was an excellent choice at breakfast but the best thing about the Hotel was the helpful staff, who assisted us at every turn & answered all our trivial tourist questions, giving directions etc, even booking our visit to Villa Bourgeses & arranging a Mercedes Limo transfer to the airport, after we were let down by our transfer company Resorthoppa. The Hotel is ideally placed for good reasonably price restaurants & a fabulous Coffee shop called Bar Quadrant at the road end, cross the road & walk left 100yards, we went every day sometimes twice, you'll understand if you go,also Hostaria Del Moro (known as Tony's) was very good, there were plenty of nice cheap (10 Euro) menu's of 3 or 4 courses for tourists & if you tire of Italian an excellent Chinese off Piazza Santa Teressa, however give Pucci's a miss, very expensive & not very inviting. I won't tell you were to go, it's all there laid out before you & if your reasonably fit you can walk it all, we did. btw the Hotel is undergoing a facelift so there's some noise during the day but it didn't disturb us & the place is in need of a little lick of paint etc.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple