“Nice older hotel- great location!”

FH Grand Hotel Palatino
Ranked #282 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel met all expectations. The room was clean with a nice bathroom. The breakfast was good in a pleasant dining room. The hotel was close to transportation and very close to the Colleseum. Unless one is expecting large rooms and extravagance, this is a very good place to stop.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cellosoo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,741)

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Had this hotel booked by tour operator and was pleasantly surprised. this hotel is literally about 500 yards from the Colosseum, Palatine Hill and the Roman Forum. the central location allowed an easy visit to each of these landmarks, as well as the art museum just up the street from the forum. We were on top floor, but had no view except as to local houses/apartments. Rooms were clean (no carpets) with tiled floors and adequate for sleeping and showering (don't pull the little rope in the shower thinking it turns on the heated towel racks as its an emergency alarm to front desk if you have fallen down !).

Didn't go into bar, and only to restaurant for included buffet breakfast which was excellent with juices, coffee, champagne, wine and the assorted fruits, meats and eggs. Made for a great start to the day. Around the hotel, to the back down stairs next to the entrance, is a nice little street with food vendors, bars and was quite the happening place after dark. Would recommend on location alone, but staff was pleasant, helpful and spoke more than decent english.

Room Tip: Room location a coin toss from what i saw. to the front of the hotel, you get road noise, to the ba...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Let me preface this review by stating that I'm not real picky about lodging as I'm in and out and it's about what's going on outside the hotel.

I checked in with aches and pains from a dreadful flight from the U.S. The bed was so comfortable that I did not have one ache the rest of my trip, it was therapeutic! The public areas of the hotel that I encountered were clean and nicely decorated. The complementary breakfast was amazing; amazing in the number of people the staff had to serve and the amount of food that was available.

How many times does one get to stay 2 blocks from an iconic symbol of the ancient world? As has been stated in previous reviews...the location is conducive to sightseeing, dining, shopping, and the requisite gelatorias. I was particularly interested in the mini-marts within 2 blocks of the hotel so I could browse through an abundance of Italian food products.

So, yes I would stay again.

5  Thank Mustangs81
Reviewed 7 January 2014

While the lobby décor is a bit outdated, the rooms are modern and comfortable; the beds are two very hard twin mattresses pushed together to make a full, which is standard in Italian hotels. The rooms were a decent size and despite being an older building the sound proofing seemed better than most in Italy. The service at the bar/lounge is spotty at best even if you're the only couple in there, so if you see the server/bartender, order everything you need right then because you won't see them again for 20 minutes. The location is ideal for seeing ancient Rome; in easy walking distance to the Roman Forum, the Colosseum, and other ruins.

1  Thank b2b0813
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for two nights prior to a cruise. We upgraded to the balcony rooms so I don't know what a standard room was like but our balcony room was great. Again, the room was not large but that is the norm in Europe. The bathroom, however, was huge! Big bathtub And even had heated towel racks and slippers The decor throughout was very nice , the amenities were wonderful. The balcony added such a nice touch
looking out over Rome. There was a fridge and a safe and a great big closet. The breakfast which was included, was more than adequate. Much to choose from, very good quality.
I must say that the rooms and hallways were very hot- much too warm. We had to sleep with our balcony door wide open. Something else that could be improved upon are the pillows. They were so flat; I' d need 4 to be comfortable- but these were only minor. The location was quite nice. We walked across the street to a church we hadn't heard about except from other reviews And were amazed at the statue of Moses and the
chains referenced in scripture. We also took other reviewers advice- took a right out of the main entrance, down the stairs and had a good dinner at a local restaurant. - cambio de Roma We found them a bit pricey but the quality was good. Is been told not to tip, as it's always included, but the staff insisted tip was not included. I'd do a bit more research next time and have a bit more Italian mastered.
The reason I did not rate this 5 star is because of the staff. Other reviewers did not exaggerate. It was awful!! From the front desk to the bellman to the wait staff at breakfast, just
short, abrupt and rude. Giuseppe was the only friendly face out of all. For example, they tell you there is free wifi in the lobby- you have to ask for sign on info, it's still hard to figure out and they don't want to help you. Giuseppe was the exception, he took my phone and showed me. He was there out first day, but never saw him again. Too bad!! When I was checking out , I wasn't sure if I had pd my upgrade in advance or this was the charge on my bill and I had the nerve to ask! Alessandro treated me like I was so ignorant for asking and then
proceeded to speak poorly about me in Italian to his colleague. He shouldn't have assumed I understood no Italian.
We were some of the only guests to tip the breakfast staff, but even that didn't get us a smile or a hello. They obviously dislike tour groups but I don't act
rudely and expect to be treated courteously. This is a big downside to this property.

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank rrbh
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel was very good. The service was good, the breakfast was excellent and we had wifi in our room. It was clean, modern and a comfortable bed. The Palatino was right at the Coleseum and near to many things to see and do.

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at the hotel as part of a 'luxury' coach tour. The location to the Colloseum is fantastic- literally a stone"a throw away.
The hotel itself has very little to offer- unhelpful day reception staff, very basic rooms with poor facilities- the heating is pre set and cannot be altered- felt like I spent time in a furnace, the pillows were rock hard and the reception forgot to give the early morning call! Breakfast merely filled a space! Even the concierge's suggestion to a restaurant was dismal.

• Stayed: December 2013