“nice hotel with easy access to all sights”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Savoy

Hotel Savoy
Ranked #173 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“nice hotel with easy access to all sights”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

This was a nice hotel and great view from the roof terrace where you could enjoy a lovely relaxing drink after your busy day viewing all the sights.Had a very good breakfast bar with all you could want to start your day.And the bus stops were not far from the entrance.And great shopping around the corner.The rooms i found were a little dark.Otherwise ok.All had a great time.We went in APRIL 2010.If you want to see Rome you will be ok here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PlymouthAngela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Somerville, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Hotel staff took my passport copy and directed me to the only atm outside of their lobby in which to use my credit card to get Euro's (went back to the hotel sick from work had the Flu). That night my id and card number was used with forged signatures at the Paris Piano Bar, which advertises itself as advertising and IT services to the card companies. Clearly a scam. The bar even gave whoever a nice 210 Euro tip, charged 700 euros on my card for a bottle of champagne (1000 us dollars), 120 dollars for fruit, 200 for some misc item, and 15 states consumption (what else did they consume, I don't know). Someone on the staff is a theif.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Savoy_Manager, Direttore at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Regarding your e-mail sent on 15th August 2011, I would like first of all to apologize for my delay in reply. I was unable to do it before since I was on holiday.
I would like to express my concern as a result of your observations. It will be very appreciated if you could reply to some questions, just to clarify the situation.

In order to observe the Italian laws, upon guest arrival we ask for the passport and we have to send this information to the central police dpt. Please note this process happens in real time, directly with the guest at the reception desk. We never make any photocopies of document, it is not our procedure.
In addition, we recommend to our customers, who need cash, to use ATMs of banks that are nearby (4 banks) and I believe it is the best and secure way to get money all over the world. So that we are not responsible of anything should be happen with ATM machine.

During my thirty years of experience in tourism activity sometimes we have received such of complaint and always the client discovered that the problem was not with the hotel but with Night club, strange sightseeing internet company, internet rent a car company etc.
My questions:
1) Did you make any booking with such mentioned company?
2) Did you shown the passport to other companies, except the hotel?

In conclusion, I suggest you to contact someone else to solve this problem and we will do everything to defend our integrity and fairness.

This letter would be as a warning of further action that may harm us.

Best regards.
Mario Rastelli
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed here as the frist hotel on a small tour of this part of Italy. We had two rooms on the third floor facing the street.

The rooms were not large but then this is the centre of Rome. The location of the hotel is pretty much unbeatable; it is walking distance to all the major attractions and an area that feels very safe at night.

On our first night the air conditioning was broken and so we had to sleep with the windows open in order to try to cool down - this was very noisy and we didn't get a lot of sleep.

On the second day the lift was broken which wasn't a problem for us but it was for those moving luggage etc.

During our second night the air conditioning was mended but fire alarm went off - or at least it went off everywhere except the 3rd floor where we were staying. We only realised there was a fire when my daughter (whose room was near the stairs) heard lots of people going downstairs. By the time we get downstairs the firemen had already arrived and were in the basement. (I don't think it was much of a fire.)

Breakfast was ok but not great.

I think this was probably once a very plush hotel and could be again with a bit of TLC and investment in maintenance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank nikki2007England
gALWAY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

My family and I recently had the pleasure of enjoying a 5 night stay in the extremely elegant, ambient and fantastically located Hotel Savoy on Via Ludovisi, Roma.

My sister was getting married in Rome (San Silvestro) and she choose the hotel for her and her husband and also for extended family members travelling over for the wedding.
My Husband, my 6 six year old son an my 3 year old son were given a family room.
I must admit I was a little apprehensive before checking in as some of the reviews on this site rate the Hotel badly, however I am delighted to reprot that these reveiws are completely unfounded.
Our room was extremely comfortable, fully air conditioned, luxurious bathroom with plenty of towels, etc and it was impecably cleaned each day. Now,onto the breakfast which was a real treat each morning..Hotel Savoy has a fantastic selection plenty of cereals (coco pops which my kids were thrilled with!!), huge selection of scones and bread rolls, jams, toast, bacon, eggs, croissants, danish, coffe, latte, cappaucino, espresso, breakfast tea, earl grey you name it they had!!
The staff in the hotel were extremely helpful and so warm and welcoming to my sister and her new husband upon arrival as they knew they were in Rome to get married.
The hotel has an amazing rooftop bar & restaurant which we drank in every night the staff were so attentive and prompt and also they give delicious little snacks with the drinks.
I have to give special mention to restaurant manager Aldo, he literally could not have been more helpful and went to great lenghts to ensure the wedding day meal was a deliciously spectacular affair. The food in the restaurant is out of this world especially the little warm chocolate fondant type dessert...magic!!! Also the views from the rooftop are breathtaking it is so well located and feels very safe even late at night as a mother of two i thoroughly recomend Hotel Savoy, Rome for families.

We had a lovely time in Rome,each day was filled with life long happy memories and it was lovely to return to such a relaxing and luxurious hotel each evening to unwind and of course a few cosmopoloitans on the rooftop bar!!

Hotel Savoy is on the pricier side of life, but for a special occasion like a weddin or romantic trip it's well worth it and thte staff all had very good english and were very good giving us directions for day trips, taxis, etc.
I would be more than happy to return to Savoy Hotel again....in fact i'd go again in the morning if i got a chance!!

Thank-you Hotel Savoy!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MMK96
Savoy_Manager, Direttore generale at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 11 January 2015
Dear Guest

It is a great pleasure to hear that you had a first class stay with us! We are really pleased to know that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay and would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here on TripAdvisor! this is the best present a Guest can bring us.

All the staff at the reception has been informed about your comments and we all look forward welcoming you in the near future!

Warmest regards

Roberto Necci
Hotel Savoy Rome
Launceston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

When we arrived, there was confusion regarding our booking. The hotel outside I felt didn't represent the interior. It gave the impression of something much grander.
The rooftop terrace gives fabulous views over Rome - not to be missed.
The majority of the staff were helpful and friendly. The room was large, but rather old fashioned or perhaps a 'traditional' feel.
The hotel is in a good central location.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jet34
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed at the Savoy because of its location. Walking distance to everything... Breakfast for what you pay was good..fulling..It was a little stuffy in the breakfast area maybe because it was in the basement. As for the rooms..they were small and beds need to be replaced and bathroom was small also...I am a petite woman and had problems in the tub because of the way the plumbing was attached to the wall.We had to complain to the front desk a few times because they were in the ceiling fixing either the Ac or electrical stuff at 700 am and one of the workers were smoking up there and it was coming thru the vent..The front desk listened and fixed the situation..all was well. Staff was friendly and we found it pretty clean..There was no view from our window but like I said in the beginning we were there for its location..Would we stay there again? Probably..

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VegasGirl27
los angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

I regret that I have not listen to one Tripadvisor terrible review "don't be deceived by the lobby photos". Well, normally I would book a room in advance but I waited till about 2 weeks before, because I was not sure of my plans in Rome. Most hotels for triple rooms were sold out. I figured Savoy was near Spanish Steps and my car rental so I took a chance and I booked the hotel for 3 nights (2 nights too many) at $330 per night. The booking process was simple and quite good. The hotel was located just off the Via Veneto and lobby looked nice. We were informed that we were getting 1/2 an hour complimentary internet and breakfast. We went to our room and our excitement ball dropped. The room was dark, depressing, narrow window facing the outside of the other wall and of course to keep the spirit up I said "at least we will get a good night sleep, since we have no street noise." I was wrong again. Our a/c started to make strange clicking sounds, we called the front desk and bell man came to tell us that this noise is a normal thing. The beds were very uncomfortable, the blanket reminded me of military brown blankets one uses while camping out, very harsh, irritating my skin, and looking old, also the comforters looked dingy. The pillow was about 5 kg - heavy, felt like someone stuffed them with pieces of fabric, dark navy blue carpets. This room looked dirty and the only thing that made us happy was to leave the room. Even the safe was inside the refrigerator which someone could pick up and walk out with it. The walls were thin, at 2 am we were awaken by some guys running trough the hallways screaming. By then we were up and heard every conversation people had outside the hallway. Breakfast was in the basement and it was nothing special. Again, did not feel clean, the room had no natural light. Going from one depressing room to another. We grabbed a roll and never went back to breakfast again in 3 night stay. On our second day my husband went to get his 1/2 free internet and the front desk said that "our room did not come with this perk" and he called the girl who checked us in and she said that she never offered us the 1/2 hour. So I went down stairs and caused some commotion, ready to check out that minute, the receptionist gave me 24 hours free. I do not understand their mentality, really. The next day (Sunday) we asked the front desk which seemed to be concierge also where to go for a good lunch not touristy near this hotel. Same girl who checked us in with the 1/2 internet offer sent us to Pomodoro Pizzeria. Well, this restaurant was closed on Sundays, we found this out from the Marriott Hotel concierge across the street who recommended another pizzeria ( we were seeking a room, but they were fully booked) . Two hours later we told her that she send us to a closed restaurant and we asked for a nearest Supermarket, she send us again to an underground Supermarket which was closed also. This was very frustrating. Don't you think the hotel stuff should know the hours of operation. Also, every time I was at the front desk there was a hotel guest complaining about something or having issues. We were so miserable at this hotel that when we left and said to my family "oh shoot, I forgot to take the picture of the room to post on the Tripadvisor" my 8 year said "Mom, why would you want to take a photo of that terrible place, it is best not to remember." I guess she was right. Grand Hotel Continental in Siena cured our wounds. I would not go back to Savoy ever again, the lobby is deceiving and the location is not important when you get nothing for your bucks.

Room Tip: I would stay some where else. They seem to have rooms available even in high season.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank savvygirlLosAngeles
Savoy_Manager, Direttore at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear Madame,
reading such a bad review regarding my Hotel and my staff I really don’t know where to start from for my apologizes and regrets.
Everything really went wrong for you at the Savoy and, while some items are so personal i.e. the taste for colours or the disappointment for a quite internal room (which in a historical palazzo like ours could mean no direct light from the outside), I really feel responsible for the inappropriate words and answers you received from my staff. Shouldn’t I??

Still, I wonder why in your long and descriptive review you forgot some details. I wonder why you said “normally I would book a room in advance but I waited till about 2 weeks before, because I was not sure of my plans in Rome” NOT mentioning that you formerly reserved through our website a promotional rate including in the price a package gourmet AND ½ hour wifi internet and this happened more than ONE month before the arrival date.
Also I wonder why you didn’t mention that you cancelled that reservation ONLY and soon AFTER we had confirmed you a different booking you made by direct email requesting a Travel Agent not commissionable special deal. Being a Travel Agent I suppose you know that to obtain a travel agent discounted rate during the peak season in the centre of Rome is not so bad and is not for everybody.. also cannot include other benefits, as the free wifi is in my Hotel.
Unfortunately the girl at the reception felt in confusion with your former reservation and of course you’re right, it was her fault; unless it was you to keep in mind the gratuity in the gourmet package, we’ll never know. I apologize in any case, and the same made the person giving you the 24hours free; to apologize! Hope you now understand the mentality.

The restaurant you asked for, Pomodoro, was not a concierge suggestion: you wanted to go there and asked the girl the address, not saying when you intended to go. I agree with you that she could have verified whether Pomodoro was open or not during your entire stay in Rome, offering you more and not requested help: once again I apologize for this. Also I hope that is not our fault if the only supermarket in this expensive area of the city is underground!!! At least this Madame..

Thanks to your suggestion and to the ones of other clients we’re checking all the pillows and renewing the hardest ones; we already know that during the sunny season it is a pity to serve breakfast in a downstairs hall, but this is our ancient Rome building and we offer a wonderful breathtaking view terrace to have lunch and dinner, I’m very sorry you did not mention the beauty of our Roof Garden Bar & Restaurant.

Please accept my excuses for all the disappointment we caused you on behalf of all my staff too.
Regards