“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #166 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Melbourne, Australia
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

At 2AM there was a banging on our hotel room door, sounded like a pole or a bat, we called reception to assist up because we were scared out of our wits but they refuse to come up and help. would never go back there even if they paid us to. What normal person would not come to assist another person in trouble and asking for help. we packed up and got out of there quick smart

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jay W
Savoy_Manager, Direttore at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Dear Guest,
please accept my apologizes for the scaring adventure you experienced during your stay in our Hotel. Being knocked on the door with violence in the middle of the night I'm sure is not nice at all. What I can suppose is that it was some kind of rude remonstration against the noise, maybe done by the same person that had protested at you the night before, as you declared. I've been working in the hospitality since many years and I beg you to believe that people from all over the world have their own habits and education; it's not always easy to comprehend their reactions. I'm very sorry.

However what I regret more is that you're now saying that you didn't receive any help from the hotel staff; instead you perfectly know that both the night concierge and the porter came upstairs twice when you called for help. Moreover one of them remained in your room with you while preparing your luggage once you decided to immediately leave the hotel, despite of our offer to change room and floor.

Of course we respected your decision to leave, we are still wondering what it might have happend. Still I find your review unfair.
Sincerely yours

Mario Rastelli
Hotel Savoy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Savoy Hotel in Rome, Italy. My wife and I had just been married two days before in New York. The Savoy is located on via Ludovisi, just off the via Veneto. The location is convenient to most sights such as the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. There is a metro stop within walking distance. There is also a supermarket within three blocks of the hotel. I mention this because traveling in Rome is expensive. I also recommend purchasing a Roma Pass which is valid for three days and provides for unlimited transportation on Rome's extensive bus and train system. The hotel staff was always helpful and informative. The room was comfortable and very clean. Beware the in room refrigerator. Remember the supermarket three blocks away. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant just about everyday. It's buffet style and provides for everyone's taste. Add the breakfast to your hotel stay. We had dinner one time on the hotels rooftop restaurant. Again the service staff was attentive and the food was great. The rooftop restaurant is open air and offers spectacular views of Rome.
We would definitely stay again at the Savoy.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank blacklion1
Savoy_Manager, Direttore generale at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 11 January 2015
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

It is fantastic to read that you had a wonderful stay at the Hotel and found the staff to be courteous and helpful. It is always wonderful to hear such positive feedback, which serves as a great motivator to my team. It shows them that their passion and efforts to provide exceptional service are appreciated by those who receive it.

Warmest regards

Roberto Necci
Hotel Savoy Rome
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This was a nice hotel and great view from the roof terrace where you could enjoy a lovely relaxing drink after your busy day viewing all the sights.Had a very good breakfast bar with all you could want to start your day.And the bus stops were not far from the entrance.And great shopping around the corner.The rooms i found were a little dark.Otherwise ok.All had a great time.We went in APRIL 2010.If you want to see Rome you will be ok here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PlymouthAngela
Somerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Hotel staff took my passport copy and directed me to the only atm outside of their lobby in which to use my credit card to get Euro's (went back to the hotel sick from work had the Flu). That night my id and card number was used with forged signatures at the Paris Piano Bar, which advertises itself as advertising and IT services to the card companies. Clearly a scam. The bar even gave whoever a nice 210 Euro tip, charged 700 euros on my card for a bottle of champagne (1000 us dollars), 120 dollars for fruit, 200 for some misc item, and 15 states consumption (what else did they consume, I don't know). Someone on the staff is a theif.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Savoy_Manager, Direttore at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Regarding your e-mail sent on 15th August 2011, I would like first of all to apologize for my delay in reply. I was unable to do it before since I was on holiday.
I would like to express my concern as a result of your observations. It will be very appreciated if you could reply to some questions, just to clarify the situation.

In order to observe the Italian laws, upon guest arrival we ask for the passport and we have to send this information to the central police dpt. Please note this process happens in real time, directly with the guest at the reception desk. We never make any photocopies of document, it is not our procedure.
In addition, we recommend to our customers, who need cash, to use ATMs of banks that are nearby (4 banks) and I believe it is the best and secure way to get money all over the world. So that we are not responsible of anything should be happen with ATM machine.

During my thirty years of experience in tourism activity sometimes we have received such of complaint and always the client discovered that the problem was not with the hotel but with Night club, strange sightseeing internet company, internet rent a car company etc.
My questions:
1) Did you make any booking with such mentioned company?
2) Did you shown the passport to other companies, except the hotel?

In conclusion, I suggest you to contact someone else to solve this problem and we will do everything to defend our integrity and fairness.

This letter would be as a warning of further action that may harm us.

Best regards.
Mario Rastelli
England
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed here as the frist hotel on a small tour of this part of Italy. We had two rooms on the third floor facing the street.

The rooms were not large but then this is the centre of Rome. The location of the hotel is pretty much unbeatable; it is walking distance to all the major attractions and an area that feels very safe at night.

On our first night the air conditioning was broken and so we had to sleep with the windows open in order to try to cool down - this was very noisy and we didn't get a lot of sleep.

On the second day the lift was broken which wasn't a problem for us but it was for those moving luggage etc.

During our second night the air conditioning was mended but fire alarm went off - or at least it went off everywhere except the 3rd floor where we were staying. We only realised there was a fire when my daughter (whose room was near the stairs) heard lots of people going downstairs. By the time we get downstairs the firemen had already arrived and were in the basement. (I don't think it was much of a fire.)

Breakfast was ok but not great.

I think this was probably once a very plush hotel and could be again with a bit of TLC and investment in maintenance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank nikki2007England
gALWAY
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My family and I recently had the pleasure of enjoying a 5 night stay in the extremely elegant, ambient and fantastically located Hotel Savoy on Via Ludovisi, Roma.

My sister was getting married in Rome (San Silvestro) and she choose the hotel for her and her husband and also for extended family members travelling over for the wedding.
My Husband, my 6 six year old son an my 3 year old son were given a family room.
I must admit I was a little apprehensive before checking in as some of the reviews on this site rate the Hotel badly, however I am delighted to reprot that these reveiws are completely unfounded.
Our room was extremely comfortable, fully air conditioned, luxurious bathroom with plenty of towels, etc and it was impecably cleaned each day. Now,onto the breakfast which was a real treat each morning..Hotel Savoy has a fantastic selection plenty of cereals (coco pops which my kids were thrilled with!!), huge selection of scones and bread rolls, jams, toast, bacon, eggs, croissants, danish, coffe, latte, cappaucino, espresso, breakfast tea, earl grey you name it they had!!
The staff in the hotel were extremely helpful and so warm and welcoming to my sister and her new husband upon arrival as they knew they were in Rome to get married.
The hotel has an amazing rooftop bar & restaurant which we drank in every night the staff were so attentive and prompt and also they give delicious little snacks with the drinks.
I have to give special mention to restaurant manager Aldo, he literally could not have been more helpful and went to great lenghts to ensure the wedding day meal was a deliciously spectacular affair. The food in the restaurant is out of this world especially the little warm chocolate fondant type dessert...magic!!! Also the views from the rooftop are breathtaking it is so well located and feels very safe even late at night as a mother of two i thoroughly recomend Hotel Savoy, Rome for families.

We had a lovely time in Rome,each day was filled with life long happy memories and it was lovely to return to such a relaxing and luxurious hotel each evening to unwind and of course a few cosmopoloitans on the rooftop bar!!

Hotel Savoy is on the pricier side of life, but for a special occasion like a weddin or romantic trip it's well worth it and thte staff all had very good english and were very good giving us directions for day trips, taxis, etc.
I would be more than happy to return to Savoy Hotel again....in fact i'd go again in the morning if i got a chance!!

Thank-you Hotel Savoy!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MMK96
Dear Guest

It is a great pleasure to hear that you had a first class stay with us! We are really pleased to know that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay and would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here on TripAdvisor! this is the best present a Guest can bring us.

All the staff at the reception has been informed about your comments and we all look forward welcoming you in the near future!

Warmest regards

Roberto Necci
Hotel Savoy Rome
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2011

When we arrived, there was confusion regarding our booking. The hotel outside I felt didn't represent the interior. It gave the impression of something much grander.
The rooftop terrace gives fabulous views over Rome - not to be missed.
The majority of the staff were helpful and friendly. The room was large, but rather old fashioned or perhaps a 'traditional' feel.
The hotel is in a good central location.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple