“DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Savoy

Hotel Savoy
Ranked #169 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Istanbul
“DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

We've got food poisoning from the breakfast, then spent some time in the hospital. My wife also got sick after we left the hospital. her condition was better than me, because she had a little piece from the sousage I had that the doctors believe was the reason. It was rotten. When we got back to the hotel and rested a little bit, I fell down because of my blood presure and called for help from the reception. The person came to our room said “I called the ambulance but if they don’t come, you will have to go on your own to the hospital”. I could not belive what I heard even in that condition; had a broken tooth, wounded nose and lips, beleeding so badly, some scracthes on my body and etc.., it realy helped me woke up and start thinking fast and logic, and I told him “ I can not walk, I can not get up”. He was more panic then us, which was not helping the situation at all. This is no way to behave in a situation like this, especially if you are some one in charge who should take some kind of resposibility.

The ambulance came and and they did the first aid while I was lying on the bad. They decided to take me to a hospital. They put me on a stretcher and took me into the ambulance from the room, and this is the sadest part of the whole thing is; noone from Savoy Hotel was around, some housekeepers just looked at me and walked away while the ambulance man was trying to get me in to the elevator. The receptionist was dissappered, and noone was helping us. I can not understand how any of the Savoy staff could be insensitive, careless, disinterested to what was going on, and why there was no Savoy authority like hotel manager dealing with the situation.

As soon as I was relased from the hospital, we decided to leave Rome and go back home, because I was not feeling well. When we were leving the hotel, the hotel staff just look at us and said “ARRIVEDERCI”. The porter carried our staff and did look at the 2€ tip my wife gave him with such discuss, like it was not good-enough for him. I am trying very hard not to think they there were happy we left.

As a result of several unexpected incidents went back to each other, starting with a single sausage, caused us the trip, money, time and morality. I am writing this because eventhough the hotel has some nice things, in case you need help; YOU ARE ALONE. NO ONE WILL EVEN BOTHER TO COME AROUND YOU TO SEE WHAT'S GOING ON. This is not acceptable from the name SAVOY.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Savoy_Manager, Manager at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 10 June 2010
Dear Guest,
we would like to first of all regret for the inconvenient happened to you during your stay in our Hotel.

Our Hotel hosts more than 7000 clients a year with an average of three days of stay and our staff is consequently trained for emergencies; we do put great emphasis on safety and health of our guests and of our staff accordingly with rules and prescription of the Italian law.

Our records show that on May 30th at 15.45 pm your wife called the reception desk from your room saying that her husband had fallen. The reception clerk promptly raised in the room and after checking the situation called the ICE number 118. At the same time some ice was provided to stop your haemorrhage. Although the reception clerk proposed himself to drive you to the hospital to be helpful also with the foreign translation, this was unnecessary as the ambulance with an English speaking doctor came and you were brought to the hospital.

With regard to your former incident at the Vatican during the morning we are very sorry but no one at the hotel was aware of it and I acknowledged of it only receiving your email yesterday. Maybe our staff or myself could have been more comprehensive if we were promptly informed about some food matter at the breakfast or your sickness at the Vatican or your weakness once back at the Hotel.

Please kindly consider that up today none of our guest reported any claim about the breakfast or suffered any illness on May 30th although the hotel was fully booked for the high season weekend.

I feel very sorry for all the negative matters suffered during your stay in Rome and wish I could be aware of those in order to investigate and clarify any possible inconvenience caused by us; and also being at the Hotel on Sunday, my day off, taking care of you.

I mean to express my personal excuses remaining at your disposal for any further need you might have.
Best regards

Hotel Savoy
The Hotel Manager
M. Rastelli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ellsworth, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed there for 4 nights two couples in two rooms. The hotel is in a great location near the spanish steps. It is a refurbished hotel so that it is clean and presents well but he rooms are original with added bathrooms. Thus they are very small and the walls a thin. The couple next door must have been on their honey moon because they had a lot of fun in the room several times over. Seriously at least 1 hour of continuous extasy for her. IT was entertainling the first time but got bothersome soon their after. The rooftop bar is great but the food is not up to par for Rome far better places around the corner toward the old Roman gate. The breakfast in the hotel is great. The best of our 17 day trip. The staff was nto very knowledgeable For instance the Hetrtz palce was a 10 minute walk but theshe did nto know how to tell me to get their Her directions were correct to the location except the Hertz was underground ( we could see it) in a large garage and the entrance to the garage was two blocks away with not easy way to get to where we end up up by her instructions. BUt a good palc eto stay for te money if you are there to see rome and do not plan to be in the hotel much.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edsalldw
Brisbane Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

I chose this hotel based on the face it was very close to via veneto which is a beautiful street with plenty of restaurants and elegance with 5 star hotels. The hotel has a really nice lobby and the view of Rome from the rooftop restaurant was to die for although we didn't eat there because it was so expensive. The staff were very pleasent to us and handed us all sorts of brochures and maps of Rome. Our room was spacious and we had a nice view out on to the street. Even though it was not hot or even warm when we were in Rome, the air conditioning was not working which meant we had to sleep with our window open. That didn't bother us until early in the mornings we were woken to the garbage truck emptying the bins right outside out window. We ended up sleeping with the windows shut after that which kept the noise out. The only aesthetic down side to this hotel is the horrible grey carpet on the walls of the elevator which I had read in other reviews but it has to be seen to be believed, its so ugly and makes you feel like your in a 2 star hotel, not 4 stars! Breakfast was good with a large variety. I am happy we chose this hotel and if I return to Rome I probably would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Savoy_Manager, Direttore generale at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, 11 January 2015
Dear Guest, 5

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Savoy Hotel Rome and thank you very much for the positive review of our hotel.

We are sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in near future.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

My boyfriend took me here for a birthday treat in March. We were really excited about staying here as it was a good location and looked very promising on the website. Firstly, we were put in a twin room when we had specifically asked for a double. No problem, we thought, we'll ask nicely to be moved room. So the guy at front desk explained they were very sorry but they were fully booked that evening, however if we returned with our luggage the next morning we would be moved right away. (Bearing in mind we were only staying 3 nights) We agreed this would be ok. So the next day we did just that, only for him to accuse us of lying and that he did not tell us he would change our room! He said he had infact, told us they would push the two beds together and the maid would make the sheets into a double bed. If he had said that the night before we really wouldn't have kicked up any fuss, but anyone dare accuse us of lying and it's a different story! He obviously realised he couldn't move us so changed his story. To be honest, it was too short a trip to start complaining to management etc... i didn't want it to ruin our weekend, but it did make us very angry. I understand that's an isolated case, so here's what else is wrong with the hotel;
VERY noisy- we were woken every night by the bin men in the street and other hotel guets. In fact one evening we could hear the lady in the next room's entire phone conversation! The walls are really thin.
Breakfast was awful. We thought we got a good deal with it included, but we never went back after the first morning. We waited 10 minutes for a table, and the food consisted of mainly bagels, croissants and breads. Not much choice at all.
The safe in our room was broken, so we had to leave our valuables in a safe at reception, a bit of an inconvenience when you want to have access to them frequently and you're room is on the 3rd floor!

Beware of the bars and restaurants at the end of the road- they are extremely expensive and we paid 30 euros(!!!) for 2 vodka and lemonades on our first night! Everywhere is expensive but that was just a rip-off! I'd recommend Gusto or the Recafe to have dinner- a 10/15 minute walk from the Savoy.

Overall, if you get a very good cheap rate for this hotel then it's fine as a place to get (a bit) of sleep. The location is great and it's also very clean. However, if i ever return to Rome i would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2010

I have been to Rome twice and travelled all over Italy.
The Hotel Savoy is a typical Italian four star hotel and the top end of four star for Rome. My friend was celebrating her 40th birthday and we were upgraded to room 115 a suite. The hotel has typical Italian, ostentacious styling, big mirrors and bold furnishings etc - see photos which was exactly what we wanted. Our room had twin beds with thick, black velvet bedspreads, a flat screen large tv, a double wardrobe with a safe, a mini bar, thick curtains in black and gold, gold wallpaper, a large ensuite bathroom with a huge mirror and the usual Italian plumbing - the red tap was the cold tap, the blue tap the hot tap! The shower leaked on the floor. This is not unusual for Italian plumbing.
However, the room was so quiet we had a dreamy sleep which you rarely get in Italian hotels when you are in a city full of youths on vespas and refuse collectors who work all night. Many people left their 'do not disturb' door signs on and fellow guests were extremely respectful and we were never woken by other guests.
The breakfast was great and please always ask for coffee to be made for you by the person behind the breakfast bar at the large coffee machine - if you ask for coffee they
will send you to the small tourist coffee machine. Ask for a particular coffee and you will get the best coffee in the world. Ask for an 'espresso' - a small shot of strong coffee or a 'cappucino' for those of you who want a more ordinary coffee - don't just ask for coffee. The hotel is in a good location right nexgt to the historic Harry's Bar where the bellini cocktail was invented and the Cafe de Paris, where Hollywoods finest once dined - see the great photos outside.
Rome is very walkable for the fit as long as you get some sturdy walking shoes as there are cobbles, but yes, Italians park where the hell they like which means crossings are blocked and you have to be on your guard all the time. Moving a suitcase about can also be grim, pavements are tatty, there are few dropped kerbs, but if you are mean like me, I walked to the railway station to return to the airport as the taxi fare was €25 for a five minute trip from the railway station to the hotel.
The hotel restaurant is very Italian and very nice. It is on the sixth floor and there are two lifts servicing the hotel, not one.
One is larger, but both have the grey carpet lining them, which is probably for sound proofing. We could not understand other travellers obsession with the lift decor.It is a lift. The lift is slow, but we are in Italy, not the Best Western in Vegas. Everything in Italy is slow apart from the drivers.
We ate in the hotel on the first night and two courses each,one bottle of wine, an espresso and a water came to €110. This is average in Rome for a 'proper' restaurant. The food and service were fantastic and you can buy cigars (including Monte Christo) from the restuarant. We also ate in the hotel on two other ocassions on a deal with our tour operator which was excellent value. The hotel restaurant also has a roof terrace with amazing views over the city. Enjoy an Amaretto on the roof after dinner or take some photos in the day.
Rome is expensive and honeymoon couples should always go five-star in Rome as four -star may not live up to expectations.
Here are some prices in the city to demonstrate the costs, a can of coke is €2.50, a small bottle of water can cost €2.50, a bottle of beer in an ordinary cafe €5, a panini €3.50 from shops.
We sat down in a low budget cafe in a park and paid €23 for one can of coke, two cappucinos, a plate of chips and a small panini.
In London this would cost you about €10.
In a mid range restuarant in the city a meal will cost the following: starter €18/20, main course €20/30, bottle of red wine €20 minimum, bottle of beer €5, €3.50 espresso.
There are tourist menus in some cafes which are ok, and offer a pizza or pasta plate, a salad and perhaps a beer for a total of €15/20. These menus are advertised on boards outside cafes with the waiters trying to get you in. They are a good deal but not top end dining. Try around the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish steps.
Try small shops used by Italians to buy water at 60 cents and carry it with you. The hop on hop off tourist buses will sell you a 24-hour ticket for €19, the train to and from the airport is €11 each way.
The hotel is happy to hold your luggage on your last day and you could walk to the nearby Santa Maria Della Immacolata Concezione Del Cappuccini Church on the Via Veneto just off Piazza Barberini. It does not look much on the outisde, but go up the steps and look for the door which says crematoria....you will see 4,000 bones decorating rooms. There is a skeleton of a small child on the roof arranged as the grim repaer. It's odd but you can't help but be amazed. We also walked the extremely long trek to the Catacombs of Priscilla. The guide was extremely helpful, a young German lady studying for her PHD in the history or art in Rome with perfect English who also knows much about Rome itself.
Another tip, if you visit the Colosseum, miss the long ticket queue by jumping to the audioguide queue which has few people in it. You can buy your €12 Euro ticket entrance to the Colosseum in this queue by renting a €4 audio guide. You will need to leave ID behind to rent the audio guide. Take your passport or driving licence along. The audio guide is ok and at least you miss the 45 minute queue for ordinary tickets. The Colosseum ticket also gets you into the Roman Forum nearby so hold onto it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pressgirl
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

It is fantastic to read that you had a wonderful stay at the Hotel and found the staff to be courteous and helpful. It is always wonderful to hear such positive feedback, which serves as a great motivator to my team. It shows them that their passion and efforts to provide exceptional service are appreciated by those who receive it.

malvern uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

Having read some reviews on this site, I became sceptical about staying at the Hotel Savoy, Rome.
I can only wish that more expensive Hotels in the world would adopt their standards.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest

It is a great pleasure to hear that you had a first class stay with us! We are really pleased to know that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay and would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here on TripAdvisor! this is the best present a Guest can bring us.

All the staff at the reception has been informed about your comments and we all look forward welcoming you in the near future!

clark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

It was my first time in Rome .I loved everything about this city .Beautiful architecture,museums,food .A little pricey.But all worth it. Savoy Hotel is beautiful .Rooms a little small.Hotel is really clean .Service is great. Loved the location and will visit again
Great place for shopping.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.