“A brilliant hotel in Classic Rome Style”
Review of Hotel Savoy

Hotel Savoy
Ranked #170 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Savoy & i have to say that it exceeded our expectations.

I had read reviews on TA stating that the decor was dated and that the staff were rude but I did not experiance this.

We stayed in one of the suites which was stunning, huge rooms with a fresh fruit basket & a lovely big bathroom.

We eat dinner on the roof top terrace & the food/wine was out of this world!

The reception staff were very helpful & knew the aswer to every question! I would deffo recommend this hotel to my friends/family

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Savoy_Manager, Direttore generale at Hotel Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2015

Dear Guest, 5

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Savoy Hotel Rome and thank you very much for the positive review of our hotel.

We are sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

The hotel was in a great location. We could walk to the Spanish steps in about 15 mins.

The amenities are basic, but it is clean and pleasant to stay at.

Beware, they dont have irons due to health and safety reasons and the only english tv channels are the news channels. But that doesn't matter as you should be exploring the wonderful city. :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PB_Reviewer
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I would stay at the Savoy Hotel on a return trip. The staff was extremely helpful booking attractions and restaurants. The breakfast is much more than the typical breads, fruit and strong coffee. The 5th avenue type shops of Via Veneto are just around the corner.
Walking distance to the Spanish Steps, Villa Borghese Park and other popular sites. The roof top bar offers a fantastic view of Rome and especially St Peter's Dome.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danza711

Dear Guest,

Reviewed 13 June 2010

The Savoy Hotel is situation on the hill above the Spanish Steps and very close to Palazzo Barbarinni. If you like walking, it is within walking distance of all the main tourist attractions ( important for us as we love to walk to get to know a city), although if you have small children or are less inclined to walk, a taxi rank is very close to the hotel,
All the staff were really courteous, friendly and helpful which makes such a difference in any hotel and most of them spoke excellent English.
We had what was called a 'twin room plus - non smoking' which was large, spacious, clean and very comfortable with two queen/king size beds (large, not sure which size exactly). The beds were fairly hard yet comfortable and the room was decorated in what I would call faded, slightly jaded opulence. The room was wonderfully quiet and peaceful for fairly central Rome, which I find so important. The only negative with the room was that we had a problem with our shower which leaked all over the floor in the en suite, however carefully one showered, it was totally unavoidable and was not corrected on request whilst we were there for 4 nights (Room 419 I think).
The breakfast was buffet and perfectly adequate although not a highlight of the stay.
The hotel had elements of grandeur but i would say needs an injection of cash to bring it up to scatch.
However, all in all it was perfect for a four night stay of busy sightseeing and I would definately return and recommend it to friends who are not expecting the luxury of a five star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank OceanRoamer10

Reviewed 8 June 2010

We've got food poisoning from the breakfast, then spent some time in the hospital. My wife also got sick after we left the hospital. her condition was better than me, because she had a little piece from the sousage I had that the doctors believe was the reason. It was rotten. When we got back to the hotel and rested a little bit, I fell down because of my blood presure and called for help from the reception. The person came to our room said “I called the ambulance but if they don’t come, you will have to go on your own to the hospital”. I could not belive what I heard even in that condition; had a broken tooth, wounded nose and lips, beleeding so badly, some scracthes on my body and etc.., it realy helped me woke up and start thinking fast and logic, and I told him “ I can not walk, I can not get up”. He was more panic then us, which was not helping the situation at all. This is no way to behave in a situation like this, especially if you are some one in charge who should take some kind of resposibility.

The ambulance came and and they did the first aid while I was lying on the bad. They decided to take me to a hospital. They put me on a stretcher and took me into the ambulance from the room, and this is the sadest part of the whole thing is; noone from Savoy Hotel was around, some housekeepers just looked at me and walked away while the ambulance man was trying to get me in to the elevator. The receptionist was dissappered, and noone was helping us. I can not understand how any of the Savoy staff could be insensitive, careless, disinterested to what was going on, and why there was no Savoy authority like hotel manager dealing with the situation.

As soon as I was relased from the hospital, we decided to leave Rome and go back home, because I was not feeling well. When we were leving the hotel, the hotel staff just look at us and said “ARRIVEDERCI”. The porter carried our staff and did look at the 2€ tip my wife gave him with such discuss, like it was not good-enough for him. I am trying very hard not to think they there were happy we left.

As a result of several unexpected incidents went back to each other, starting with a single sausage, caused us the trip, money, time and morality. I am writing this because eventhough the hotel has some nice things, in case you need help; YOU ARE ALONE. NO ONE WILL EVEN BOTHER TO COME AROUND YOU TO SEE WHAT'S GOING ON. This is not acceptable from the name SAVOY.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Savoy_Manager, Manager at Hotel Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2010

Dear Guest,
we would like to first of all regret for the inconvenient happened to you during your stay in our Hotel.

Our Hotel hosts more than 7000 clients a year with an average of three days of stay and our staff is consequently trained for emergencies; we do put great emphasis on safety and health of our guests and of our staff accordingly with rules and prescription of the Italian law.

Our records show that on May 30th at 15.45 pm your wife called the reception desk from your room saying that her husband had fallen. The reception clerk promptly raised in the room and after checking the situation called the ICE number 118. At the same time some ice was provided to stop your haemorrhage. Although the reception clerk proposed himself to drive you to the hospital to be helpful also with the foreign translation, this was unnecessary as the ambulance with an English speaking doctor came and you were brought to the hospital.

With regard to your former incident at the Vatican during the morning we are very sorry but no one at the hotel was aware of it and I acknowledged of it only receiving your email yesterday. Maybe our staff or myself could have been more comprehensive if we were promptly informed about some food matter at the breakfast or your sickness at the Vatican or your weakness once back at the Hotel.

Please kindly consider that up today none of our guest reported any claim about the breakfast or suffered any illness on May 30th although the hotel was fully booked for the high season weekend.

I feel very sorry for all the negative matters suffered during your stay in Rome and wish I could be aware of those in order to investigate and clarify any possible inconvenience caused by us; and also being at the Hotel on Sunday, my day off, taking care of you.

I mean to express my personal excuses remaining at your disposal for any further need you might have.
Best regards

Hotel Savoy
The Hotel Manager
M. Rastelli

Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed there for 4 nights two couples in two rooms. The hotel is in a great location near the spanish steps. It is a refurbished hotel so that it is clean and presents well but he rooms are original with added bathrooms. Thus they are very small and the walls a thin. The couple next door must have been on their honey moon because they had a lot of fun in the room several times over. Seriously at least 1 hour of continuous extasy for her. IT was entertainling the first time but got bothersome soon their after. The rooftop bar is great but the food is not up to par for Rome far better places around the corner toward the old Roman gate. The breakfast in the hotel is great. The best of our 17 day trip. The staff was nto very knowledgeable For instance the Hetrtz palce was a 10 minute walk but theshe did nto know how to tell me to get their Her directions were correct to the location except the Hertz was underground ( we could see it) in a large garage and the entrance to the garage was two blocks away with not easy way to get to where we end up up by her instructions. BUt a good palc eto stay for te money if you are there to see rome and do not plan to be in the hotel much.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edsalldw
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I chose this hotel based on the face it was very close to via veneto which is a beautiful street with plenty of restaurants and elegance with 5 star hotels. The hotel has a really nice lobby and the view of Rome from the rooftop restaurant was to die for although we didn't eat there because it was so expensive. The staff were very pleasent to us and handed us all sorts of brochures and maps of Rome. Our room was spacious and we had a nice view out on to the street. Even though it was not hot or even warm when we were in Rome, the air conditioning was not working which meant we had to sleep with our window open. That didn't bother us until early in the mornings we were woken to the garbage truck emptying the bins right outside out window. We ended up sleeping with the windows shut after that which kept the noise out. The only aesthetic down side to this hotel is the horrible grey carpet on the walls of the elevator which I had read in other reviews but it has to be seen to be believed, its so ugly and makes you feel like your in a 2 star hotel, not 4 stars! Breakfast was good with a large variety. I am happy we chose this hotel and if I return to Rome I probably would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple