“Rude and Rather Boring”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #63 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for my second trip to Rome; the hotel does not need introduction its one of the best in town indeed.
I found the decor is little bit boring for my taste however the quality and service are superior but you have to expect to pay a lot of money for everything you ask for, I have asked for breakfast in my room as I was leaving to Crotona in the early morning at 6:40am and I had to pay 33 Euros and + 12 Euros for room service and on top of that they told sorry we can’t offer eggs at this time as there is no chef in the kitchen!! so after this experience I was wondering what is the definition of WOLRD LEADING HOTEL does that mean you have to pay more?!?! Rip off?!! Or does it mean that the hotel will go out of this way to please you? Can somebody answer me please?
When I went to the pool I was never greeted by any of the staff and I had to go and ask him for towels and when I sat no body approached me to ask if I needed a drink or water, again I need a definition of the leading hotel of the world.
The hotel is far from the city however they do have a shuttle bus runs every half hour you just need to book it in advance in case if its full but I found it easy and available all times I have used it only 3 times the rest I ended up taking taxi’s which cost me around 10 Euros or so to Maxxi of Rome Museum and because if the hotel call the taxi for you the taxi charge extra 4 Euros! I didn’t mind as I had little time and wanted to see so many things.
One night I was tired and lazy to go out to hunt for dinner and their famous restaurant was already closed so I asked for chicken and vegetables in room service ended up cost me 55 Euros, can you believe that, it was nothing special – so I tell you be prepared.
Lunch at the pool one day cost me 52 + 9 for diet 7up.
I still love the hotel and its location in upscale neighbourhood away from the hustle and bustle of Roma however I found the hotel has a lack of gesture and character I found it rude and rather boring as they don’t offer me in the room free bottle of water or chocolate or thank you something, I had to pay 32 Euros for 1 bottle of water / 1 Chocolat / Chips they just expect you to pay and pay and pay and pay.
I stayed after that in Positano and Ravello in same quality hotels and found the real definition of the leading hotels of the world.
next time for sure I would stay in more charming hotel run by a family or perhaps in city centre.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank rayoflightcanada
Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The Aldrovani Villa Borghese is a beautiful gem in Rome. The hotel is well-known throughout Italy which we learned as we traveled throughout the country. The service was impecable and the staff was always there when we needed something.
The breakfast was the most amazing display we experienced.
Although the location is not the best, the hotel offers a shuttle with service to the Spanish Steps throughout the day and night, making all the sights of Rome within close reach.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel is quaint and lovely. The rooms were spacious and the breakfast, which was included, consisted of a large buffet selection.

The service overall was very nice, and the staff extremely responsive and accomodating.

Loved the European charm.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onthego2010_10
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We've just had 3 nights in this fantastic Rome hotel. The hotel is expensive but we decided to treat ourselves and by booking and paying well in advance with the Leading Hotels of the World Group we got rooms at a fraction of the rack rate. And the hotel is beatiful - very classy but not pretentious, great staff and service, great rooms and a lovely garden with a delightful swimming pool. The hotel is a liittle out of the centre which made it feel much more relaxed and a great place to return to after a hot day's sight-seeing. The hotel provides an excellent shuttle service to and from the Spanish Steps.

We were on a room rate which included breakfasts which we really enjoyed - good choice and top quality. Bar drinks and room service etc was extremely expensive so we avoided buying anything extra in the hotel. The restaurant looked wonderful but the prices were very high. We might have treated ourselves had we not been with the children. However the hotel recommended a nearby restaurant which proved to be perfect - the Pagaroma.

This hotel is expensive and at the top of the range but it is wonderful and made our stay in Rome an absolute delight.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room which was delightful although there was a little noise from the restaurant...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Wrecktor
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Fabulous hotel! Great break from the hustle and bustle of Rome. Pool is long enough to swim laps in, and empties out around 6:30p before it closes. Gym is sufficient and empty for a quick work out. Room service and breakfast are way overpriced. Staff is attentive, especially housekeeping, concierge and valet. Concierge found great restaurants. Bathrooms are beautiful. Great place for children. Right across the street from the park with the zoo. Shuttle runs back and forth to Spanish Steps every 15 minutes. Get Bruno with the Eternal City tours and you will be set!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank anengineeredtraveler
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This is indeed a gracious hotel in a lovely setting albeit outside the city core, but in fact within a short taxi ride to most locations. If reserved in advance, you can always get their shuttle service to Via Veneto or the Spanish Steps. The refreshingly quiet loacation and their wonderful oasis, a sumptuous garden with a large pool, make this hotel unique and definitely worth it during Rome's hot summer days.

The staff was 100% efficient and helpful. The breakfast buffet was ample. But the rooms, pretty as they were, are difficult to navigate with two people in the bedroom trying to move around. For us, this small inconvenience was outweighed by the other factors.

RG Canada

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden. They are quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights recently in June 2011.
We chose this hotel because we wanted luxury accommodation and an opportunity to relax at a pool.
We were not disappointed at all.
This is a wonderful hotel located on the outskirts of the tranquil Villa Borghese gardens. It is a short cab ride of a few minutes to any of the attractions in Rome.
Staff were friendly and helpful and particularly Mario at the front desk
Rooms are large and bright and the pool and gardens are a wonderful retreat after a day of hectic touring in the heat. The rooms and gardens are quiet and peaceful
Food prices are way way up there so we did not eat in the restaurant although it is apparently one of the finest in Rome. Breakfast was included and was excellent.
Would definitely stay here again particularly in the summer months.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple