“it was a wonderful hotel to stay”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #62 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The hotel is situated 5min walk of the national gallery and the villa borghese park. The hotel offers free rides from the hotel to the Spanish steps every 30min. from early in the morning and comming back( the last bus leaves at 10.45pm.) One thing, make shure that you reserve a seat for this bus because it is small.
The pesonel is very friendly and helpful.
The restaurant situated in the hotel is nice but expensive, a glass of chardonnay was suggested (25,- euro's per glass). The diner was nice but not sooo nice.. that ofcourse depends on everyones own taste. A glass of coca cola is 9,-. Capuchino 6,-.The beds in the room where hard and I prefer softer beds. The breakfast is very good! The pool and garden is fantastic.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 419 and had an overview to the garden and swimming pool
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank likoholland
Write a ReviewReviews (1,399)

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We've visited this hotel for two nights in August 2011. As we had a very tough sightseeing to do (Rome in 2 days) we were searching for a kind of oasis in the middle of the city - and we've found it with this hotel!

We arrived at 09:00 in the morning. The entrance was blocked because of cleaning, so we needed to keep our car on the road. After quiet a waiting time, we could go already to our room - in the early morning - this was great after a long arrival trip!

The staff was very helpful, but also a kind of cold. The concierge was very useful in restaurant hints. The shuttle service to the Spanish Steps is great - but you need to book also for the RETURN transfer, or you will end - like we - walking through Borghese gardens at 23:00 in the night, because of a over-booked last shuttle.

Our room (regular double) was located in the main building. When we entered the room, there was a smell of smoke - not acceptable as we requested a non-smoking room! But the room size was quiet nice, and there was a big marble bathroom. The shower/bathtub was a kind of Italian-style-wannebe-renovated, but acceptable.

Room was clean, but with some issues, like stains on the wall, no-cleaning of garbage bins at turndown time, etc. All-in-all normal for Italy :-) We've liked very much that there was a plate of fresh fruits, a bottle of red wine, and a bottle of mineral water in our room as a present. Also, we've liked the Molton Brown bathroom stuff.

In general is everything, what you get from a hotel, very much (too) expensive, don't take anything from minibar. Instead of 20EUR WLAN in the room, we went to the free-of-charge businesscenter to check our e-mails. Also I would advise you to park a private car not in the hotel parking, but outside in the area. Very nice was a free-of-charge newspaper each morning to the room.

A huge PLUS for this hotel is the pool-area. Very clean, big, nice pool area - and this in the middle of Rome! There is a pool-boy-service, you will get towels and free-of-charge mineral water, what we've liked very much. Also you can find a pool bar (slow service, high prices).

We were not at the hotel restaurant, and not at the bar, but lobby & bar are very friendly and nice looking. But no live-music. Breakfast was very nice, huge buffet with everything you need, good quality, including spumante free of charge. Service is very fast, waiters are well-trained. Nice view from breakfast room to the pool area.

Concierge was very helpful in restaurant hints (good prices, no tourist-0815-stuff), tickets, city map assistance. etc.

All-in-all a very good, traditional hotel in Rome - ideal to stay a couple of nights to explore the city and to relax after a long day in the pool. We would come back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ZPZurich-Moscow
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese. The receptionist was lovely and helpful. The room (delux room) was spacious, luxurious and practical. The housekeeper tidied the room twice a day. A great and surprising touch with tv integrated in the mirror in the bathroom. Loved the Molton Brown toiletries.

Breakfast had a nice and well-assorted selection. Nothing extravagant but all you need. Very friendly and attentive waiters. Outdoors pool was a perfect cool-down in the warm summer weather in Rome.
Distance to Rome city centre is a 15 min walk through a lovely park. The shuttle service is also a practical and easy alternative. Just remember to book ahead for the last runs at night.
Be also aware that prices in mini-bar and restaurant are very high. Bottle of water in minibar comes at 8 euros!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ing27
Reviewed 12 August 2011

A lovely hotel with a fabulous pool and 2 Michelen stars in the restaurant. The setting is unique and one of the best pools in Rome city. There's a shuttle bus every half hour to the Spanish steps so you're on via Condotti in minutes. The rooms are very luxurious and comfortable. The only negative - the breakfast room doesn't do this hotel any favours and is out of keeping with the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NiamhfromIreland
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for my second trip to Rome; the hotel does not need introduction its one of the best in town indeed.
I found the decor is little bit boring for my taste however the quality and service are superior but you have to expect to pay a lot of money for everything you ask for, I have asked for breakfast in my room as I was leaving to Crotona in the early morning at 6:40am and I had to pay 33 Euros and + 12 Euros for room service and on top of that they told sorry we can’t offer eggs at this time as there is no chef in the kitchen!! so after this experience I was wondering what is the definition of WOLRD LEADING HOTEL does that mean you have to pay more?!?! Rip off?!! Or does it mean that the hotel will go out of this way to please you? Can somebody answer me please?
When I went to the pool I was never greeted by any of the staff and I had to go and ask him for towels and when I sat no body approached me to ask if I needed a drink or water, again I need a definition of the leading hotel of the world.
The hotel is far from the city however they do have a shuttle bus runs every half hour you just need to book it in advance in case if its full but I found it easy and available all times I have used it only 3 times the rest I ended up taking taxi’s which cost me around 10 Euros or so to Maxxi of Rome Museum and because if the hotel call the taxi for you the taxi charge extra 4 Euros! I didn’t mind as I had little time and wanted to see so many things.
One night I was tired and lazy to go out to hunt for dinner and their famous restaurant was already closed so I asked for chicken and vegetables in room service ended up cost me 55 Euros, can you believe that, it was nothing special – so I tell you be prepared.
Lunch at the pool one day cost me 52 + 9 for diet 7up.
I still love the hotel and its location in upscale neighbourhood away from the hustle and bustle of Roma however I found the hotel has a lack of gesture and character I found it rude and rather boring as they don’t offer me in the room free bottle of water or chocolate or thank you something, I had to pay 32 Euros for 1 bottle of water / 1 Chocolat / Chips they just expect you to pay and pay and pay and pay.
I stayed after that in Positano and Ravello in same quality hotels and found the real definition of the leading hotels of the world.
next time for sure I would stay in more charming hotel run by a family or perhaps in city centre.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank rayoflightcanada
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The Aldrovani Villa Borghese is a beautiful gem in Rome. The hotel is well-known throughout Italy which we learned as we traveled throughout the country. The service was impecable and the staff was always there when we needed something.
The breakfast was the most amazing display we experienced.
Although the location is not the best, the hotel offers a shuttle with service to the Spanish Steps throughout the day and night, making all the sights of Rome within close reach.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel is quaint and lovely. The rooms were spacious and the breakfast, which was included, consisted of a large buffet selection.

The service overall was very nice, and the staff extremely responsive and accomodating.

Loved the European charm.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple