“overall a good choice”

Ranked #55 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Athens, Greece
“overall a good choice”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

we stayed in december 2011. our deluxe double room was medium sized (30 sq.m), had excellent 5 stars furniture/amenities/service, the location was not very convenient (20 minutes walk from the center / spanish steps, but u have to cross a huge park to get there, so you can walk only during daytime. there is a free shuttle every 30 minutes to the center until 22.30). breakfast was good though there were no prosciutti, salamis etc.

overall good value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kozantipi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We have stayed here a number of times and whilst there may be some rooms that are unmodernised we have never been given one. I guess it pays to be a regular. The staff are excellent and the concierge went to a lot of effort to make us a reservation at Dal Bolognese at the time we wanted to go by calling the manger directly. A nmber of reviewers have talked about the limited breakfast but may not have realised you can order anything that is not on the buffet without, if you have a breakfast inclusive arrangement, charge. I also like the fact that orange and grapefruit juice is squeezed to order, rather than having been squeezed hours earlier and become oxidised which is the case in many so called "luxury hotels". Even if the minibus is full taxis to the city centre are plentiful and quite cheap. I notice one of your reviewers complains about the lack of bottled water but tap water is safe all over Italy.

Room Tip: Best to overlook car park, which is free.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 19 November 2011

The location is a bit removed but they have a regular shuttle that goes to the Spanish Steps. It is a short walk to Villa Borghese and the Estruscan museum (very interesting). The lobby is pleasant but they need to tone down on the air fresheners. If you were sensitive you would be suffering. In general the visuals in the hotel are nice and we were given a pleasant room. It was too cool to use the pool but it was an attractive setting. The staff were excellent. Attentive and helpful. Breakfast was included and the buffet was generous. Not an inexpensive place to stay. We combined business with pleasure and the two additional nights added up to a hefty bill. Rome (even with the riots) was magic and the Aldrovandi is a very pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: We had room 518. It was a good size for two with a large bath on a high floor that faced out to a ni...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Singapore
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My partner and I were contemplating between a couple of hotels (good location, good reviews, etc) when we decided to revisit Rome a couple of weeks ago. In the end, we decided to go with this lovely hotel, Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, and the decision is right.

I would not say that this hotel is perfect in all senses but it has its merits and these merits overweighed its limitations. If the hotel could address these limitations, I'm sure they would get more excellent reviews.

First impression counts
The doorman, porter and staff at the reception were excellent. They were very polite and prompt with their service. All of them spoke good English and most happy to assist you when you needed help. Samantha, the front desk staff, who was attending to us during our check in, was very friendly and professional. She briefed us thoroughly on the hotel facilities such as gym and restaurant, the shuttle bus services (told us to book in advance because it's a 7 seater) and the complimentary services that came with our room package.

The lobby and room
It's rather strange to display three mannequins right in the centre of the hotel lobby. I guess it must be some arrangement the hotel had with some fashion retailer. I would have prefer to have a table and some floral arrangements rather than three mannequins dressed in some summer clothing (and it's winter season when I'm there). The hotel exudes a little old time charm, however, some areas look a bit old. At times, the look and feel is rather inconsistent (some areas have old time charm and the restaurant looks rather modern). We visited another Leading Hotel of the World in central Rome and this other hotel looks better and more contemporary, mainly because it's more consistent throughout the hotel.

The room (Room 531), which we were assigned to, looks dated too but it's clean. The front door faces the lift directly but we didn't mind it. The only thing that we didn't like it that much is that the centralised air conditioning was off (winter) and the individual heating system would only be turn on when requested. We would have preferred that each room has its own individual control. During the night, we had to open the window and draw the thick curtain so that the room temperature remained within a comfortable range yet allowing some fresh air to enter the room. The room needs to refurnish a little (it looks dated when compared with some of the pictures other reviewers have posted). I'm not sure whether the hotel is progressively updated the look of all its rooms.

However, we are very pleased with the Molton Brown toiletries. They are good and the housekeeping staff replenished them during the turn down service as well.

Turn down service
The turn down service could be improved further. Yes, the housekeeping staff replenished the toiletries and prepared the bed. However, they did not offer any complimentary bottles of water. We do not require huge bottles of water but two small bottles would be nice (for each side of the bed). It's tough to go hunting for water in the night especially when there's nothing much within the vicinity (you do not want to take from the bar because of the price).

Breakfast Service
The thing that stood out about the breakfast service is that the staff is extremely attentive and friendly. I must compliment the restaurant manager, Aldo. Aldo saw me taking pictures in the restaurant. He quickly helped me to "enhance" my photos such as topping up the ice in the champagne bucket and ensuring the table has all the cutleries. Either he knew that I was going to write a review or that he just wanted my pictures to look nice. Aldo also educated me on the origin of the sparkling wine that they served during breakfast (yes, they serve sparkling wine at breakfast). On a separate note, Aldo heard the clicking of my camera when I left the restaurant. He was very proactive to show me the vintage lift in the hotel. Once again, he told me about the heritage of the lift. Thank you very much, Aldo. I have some great pictures :)

There are not that many items at the breakfast service (about 4 different pastries, another 4 types of bread, 2 types of cakes, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, yogurt, juices and a couple more items). Though the selection is limited, it is compensated by the excellent service provided by the restaurant staff. I reckon the way to enjoy the breakfast is to sip some Italian sparkling wine after the main course and be intoxicated by the elegance of the dining room (no pun intended).

Gym and pool
We did not use the gym or the pool. The pool was closed as it was not heated during winter. As for the gym, it has all the basic equipments.

Shuttle Bus service
During our stay at the hotel, we had no problems boarding the shuttle bus (even on occasions when we did not book in advance). However, I wouldn't recommend you do that. This is because it can get rather crowded during peak hours such as 545pm and 615pm (on the return leg from Spanish Steps to the hotel). Bear in mind that this is a 7-seater mini bus. But the bus is very well maintained and looks very new. The driver was very friendly too.

Michelin Star Chef
We did not try the restaurant. But the restaurant does look very contemporary. On one occasion when we visited the restaurant, it was about 70-80% filled. I guess it must be good, otherwise, it would not be patronised by the locals.

We will definitely return but we hope to see some improvements at the hotel so that the experience could be better.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QCInspector
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Stayed with my wife for a long weekend at end of October 2011. First night we were situated in a roadside room which was very noisy, but following my complaint, we were moved to a much quieter and very comfortable room. The staff, especially the concierge, were outstanding and the location for breakfast and the food itself were top notch. The shuttle service was most efficient. Overall we were very impressed with this hotel.

Room Tip: Do ask for a room that is not roadside.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Yes the pool area is nice - albeit with v poor and slow service. The hotel is dated, and the worst Leading Hotels i have ever stayed at. Our room was roadside and v noisy. Cleanliness not top of agenda. Carpets old and manky.Concierge helpful. Aircon iffy and bed linen smelt of old peoples home.

Room Tip: Not road side.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loftie10
Reviewed 11 November 2011

During 2011 I stayed at the Aldrovandi Palace on 4 separate ocassions. Mainly for business and each time I had a wonderful experience. The staff are extremely helpful and welcoming, and each time I came back I felt like I was coming home. The rooms are large and spacious, great bathrooms (with separate shower), nice pool (perfect to cool off in on a hot summer day). I tried the starred restaurant on one stay (which lived up to its reputation as one of the best in Rome), but frequently ordered room service (portions on the small side, but delicious). Breakfast is top notch. All in all, this is a great hotel with a staff that goes out of its way to make your stay a memorable one. I also like the fact that the hotel is in a quiet area and next to the Villa Borghese - would walk through the park to get to where I had to go (great way to start the day).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business