“Best service, worst sleep”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #43 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“Best service, worst sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

You have to decide what is most important to you, when considering staying here. They have exceptional service, at every level: doorman, driver, concierge, pool wait staff to put out towels and water, wait staff at the pool, service staff at the restaurant and generous breakfast buffet. The pool area and grounds are excellent and the location is out of the core but a five minute cab ride from the Spanish steps, 10 euros, so not an issue at all.

The negative, which for us was a big one, was the ability and quality of sleep. The walls between rooms and to the hallway, are THIN. You can hear EVERYTHING going on in the next room: talking, laughing, clicking of light switches, opening and closing of the wardrobe....everything. We had young kids in the room next to us and at times it was unbearable. The front desk did ask the family in the room to ensure their kids were quiet but you can hear just normal talking. There are a lot of kids at this hotel so we could have moved rooms but who knows what else we would have heard through the walls....i decided hearing kids was the lesser of two evils as I was with my teenagers!

In addition, the beds are hard and you can feel the springs....did you ever wonder what happened to the bad university mattress that you slept on....well it is at the aldrovandi in rome! The beds have lovely sheets, the pillows are fine but this is nice dressing on an awful matress. We found most beds in Italy to be hard but only at this hotel could we actually feel the springs!!!

You should also know that while the rooms are well appointed, they are small; there is no room for a cot so they truly suit only two people. The bathrooms however are large and well done with nice towels, slippers and robes.

So, exceptional service vs. ability to sleep....you decide what is most important to you before booking.

Room Tip: Book your room and the one on each side, to avoid sounds between the paper thin walls.
3 Thank SusanABC
AldrovandiVBorghese, General Manager at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your comment regarding your stay at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese. I am extremely grateful for your kind words regarding the excellent level of our service, I appreciate the fact that you so kindly mentioned the dedication and serious professionalism of your team, again thank you for your thoughtful words.

On the other hand I feel extremely sorry for the bad quality of your sleep during your stay, please accept my sincere apologies for this unacceptable event, I perfectly agree that a good quality of sleep is definitely part of what we may name ‘A perfect holiday’. I take into serious consideration all the aspects highlighted in your comment and concrete measures will be immediately taken with reference to the quality of the mattress and all those in need will be changed, moreover a thorough check about the quality of all our pillows will be also scheduled again in order to ensure they may be replaced when and where necessary.

Furthermore I am in the process of scheduling a technical inspection of the rooms where might be a soundproof issue in order to determine the level of it and restore a perfect soundproof system.

Again thank you for your comment, and apologies for the inconveniences experienced, I would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcoming you again to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese in the near future and have the chance to also assist you on the allocation of your room possibly assigning you and your family a more spacious accommodation.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on the occasion of your next trip to Rome, I will be honoured to assist you again.

Ugo Ossani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I wanted to treat my 19 and 20-year-old daughters to a dream holiday in Rome. This hotel matched all our expectations and exceeded them.
What was very impressive was the attitude of the staff who really focused on us as their guests
the room was lovely the pool was a delight particularly when temperatures hit 37°C the views from the breakfast bar were stunning in both directions and there was such a wide choice of food.
As you might expect in Rome prices were high for food at the restaurant
It is a hotel I shall definitely return to

Room Tip: Our room overlooks the side of the hotel but the views of the Villas all around are so attractive th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
AldrovandiVBorghese, General Manager at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your amazing comment about your stay at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese. I am truly grateful to learn that our hotel and the excellence of our service did exceed your expectations, particularly in such occasion when travelling with your daughters and wishing to treat them with something really unforgettable.

I am therefore glad our team rised to this occasion and made you feel cared and looked after properly.

I would be delighted to have the privilege to welcoming you again soon to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese and confirm your positive experience once again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly shoul you plan a trip to Rome in the near future, I would be delighted to be at your disposal.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Honestly we were expecting more from this hotel. I will start with the good.
1) The pool is beautiful and just what you need to relax and soak after the long walks and rondesvoux in the city
2) Location wise is great as it is situated in villa borghese, which is private and next to the beautiful gardens. It is also only a ten min drive from the city and the hotel provides free shuttle services to the spanish steps

What it can improve on:
1) The rooms and hotel needs to be upgraded. It does not have that extra class to it for the price you are paying
2) Breakfast is beautifully presented but the food is average and is the same selection of buffet for the whole 4 days we stayed there
3) Service needs a major improvement as only one staff went out of his way to give recommendations whilst the others only did the minimal they were required to and were not very welcoming but rather forced to service the guests.

I have stayed in many boutique hotels and this just does not meet up to par for the price you are paying. The only advantage I would say is the pool and location but no charm whatsoever that I can find or remember about the hotel experience

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

we came again to this hotel as it is nicely located next to Borghese gardens, offers excellent service and is one of the few hotels in Rome with beautiful pool which is enjoyable during Summer
very good service and concierge, great breakfast and affordable LHW property
shuttle service available to bring you the spanish steps otherwise taxi very affordable 10 euros
also complimentary bikes are available

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Valued Guest

I am delighted to apprehend that you preferred the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese again, thank you for choosing us once again and for the positive comments about your recent experience with us.
I truly wish to have the privilege to welcoming you again also in the near future, please consider the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese your ‘home away from home’ and feel free to contact me directly on the occasion of your next trip to Rome, I will be glad to assist you.

Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We have just recently stayed at the Aldrovandi for 4 nights on the 1st August 2013. it was a truly wonderful stay.
Upon arrival into the beautiful foyer, we had a warm and friendly greeting well informed of the facilities available. Informed about the area and the places to see, which tram or buses to use if required. Although arrived early, we only had to wait half an hour and our room was ready.
We were shown to our room, which was overlooking the pool, which was a good size and a lovely bathroom. It was nice and quiet we had no disturbances at all during our stay. The room was kept spotless daily once in the morning then again in the evening with sliippers awaiting and bottled water.
Breakfast was superb with a good choice and quality products. Again staff were friendly and helpful. 'Vincenzo' and the lady (sorry could not remember name) were excellent and even bought us little cakes with candles for my birthday and champagne!
The pool area was delightful and peaceful and a godsend in that heat (there was a couple of children but luckily not too badly behaved! but then that would of not been the hotels fault!) . You would be greeted by the pool boys who would provide you towels and water.
We never used the restaurant as we ate in the town.
The location of the hotel, we felt was excellent as you could walk through the gardens which were lovely and took about 15mins to town or you could pre book there own car service to take you down or pick you up, which was excellent. We only had one problem the first time we used this service. As we were told we would be collected at the Spanish steps. However we were waiting in the wrong place! We called the hotel and they resolved the problem and let us catch a taxi! The latest you could be picked up was about 22.30pm, which was plenty of time to have a nice meal and a wander around. We found some lovely restaurants which were quite reasonably priced.
Overall our stay was perfect and would highly recommend this Hotel for superb facilities and staff and service! I cannot understand how anyone could give a bad review, we never had no communication problems what so ever. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff.
Thankyou for our lovely stay and hope to visit you again!
Kind Regards Mr and Mrs Brook

Room Tip: upgrade your room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 69Brooksy
Valued Guest

I would like to heartily thank you for taking your time to write about your Aldrovandi experience, I am delighted you had such a wonderful stay with us and that our hotel, the room assigned along with the excellence of our service did meet your expectations.

I am always extremely glad to apprehend that our guests truly appreciated our dedication and efforts to always deliver a high standard of service, I will definitely share your kind words with all the members of our team which definitely made the difference and contributed to make your stay unforgettable.

I look forward to welcoming you to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese in the near future, it would be an absolute privilege for me to have the opportunity to assist you again as our valuable guest.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. The location of this hotel concerned me. On one night the hotel shuttle did not pick us up. We tried to get on the previous shuttle back to the hotel which was full. We did book for the last shuttle and the driver confirmed he would be back to pick us up - so we waited but the driver never came back. After waiting for 45 mins we caught a taxi to the hotel. The breakfast was very good. The hotel assistance was very helpful and pleasant. Wonderful sitting around the pool.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, I am glad you appreciated the level of our service.

I am terribly sorry to apprehend about the inconvenience occurred with our courtesy car, please accept my sincere apologies about this event. I will personally investigate further the reasons of this disruption and measures will be certainly taken in order to definitely avoid this kind of events in the future.

I would be glad to welcoming you again to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese and have the unique opportunity to deliver a better service to you, please feel free to contact me directly on that occasion, I will be glad to assist you.

Stourbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed here for two nights in early July before going onto Florence for a wedding.
The hotel has the feel of proper Italian luxury, with a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
From the moment of arrival and being welcomed into the beautiful reception area we felt totally spoilt. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast from the splendid dining room, served by friendly waiting staff and poolside drinks and lunch. Nothing was too much trouble, we were given lovely restaurant recomendations and help with arranging train tickets. Overall a truly wonderful hotel in a lovely part of Rome, would certainly return and definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K G
Dear Guest

I am glad to read your kind words about your pleasant experience at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese. Sincerely, thank you for your feedback and kind words of appreciation which I will share with the rest of our team.

As for your wish, I sincerely look forward to welcoming your again soon to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese. Please feel free to contact me directly on the occasion of your next trip to Rome I would be delighted to offer my assistance to your kind requests.