“Perfect and low profile”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #59 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at Aldrovandi 4 nights (July 27th -July 30th 2014). It was my first time. I've already stayed in excellent hotel around the world. Aldrovandi was the best experience in terms of location, room, service, food and low profile guests. On the contrary of the other hotels I saw in Rome it's a family hotel. The only thing they may look into is the wifi which is the may improve.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Everything is superb. The hall, the gardens, the pool. A true feeling of Roman vacations while on a business trip. The staff is very kind and willing to help.
The rooms, however are not up to the same standard, and that is where the problems start. I had to get somebody to reconnect the television, the old-fashioned phone had problems, and I never managed to have a correct wi-fi connection. First, I had no conection. After concierge kindly helped and called, I had a weak and slow signal.
The Aldrovandi is perfectly located right by the Villa Borghese.
If it wants to attract business clients, it needs to look at what today's equipment standards are.

Room Tip: don't accept 202: you will end up in a handicapped room where the use of the shower is very comp...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The service is Good and tries to make your stay enjoyable. The pool is Good for a city hotel.

The rooms are fine. Somewhat outdated but nothing to really bother you.

The Reception is friendly and sprake Good English.

All in all It's probably One of the best hotels in town.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Debu2010
Reviewed 3 August 2014

When arriving , you become totally happy in a second. Beautiful lobby and a very serene, nice scent.
Staff is very friendly ,And the guests at this hotel are incredibly relaxed.
Breakfast is superb, lunch amazing.
Nice room, very comfy bed and pillows.
The shuttle is a very nice extra, and runs on time, just book in advance. Takes 7 min to go to the Spanish steps.
Pool feels like you are in a private garden. The spa was great, had it all to myself, just go there, even the changing room is amazing.
For my son and me it was a wonderful stay, luxury in a very friendly way !!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014

...but the rooms could be better. Hard beds and not very nice sheets. Very good service at the hotel.
Nice pool outside, the bar is quite nice too. Wifi a bit slow.
The hotel provides a free shuttle that transports you to the Spanish steps, but remember to book first.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We are currently staying here, and while I never review things, I felt the need to post a review of this hotel asap.

We’ve stayed in 5 star (and higher) hotels all over the world. This is a nice place and most of the staff is nice enough, but it seems they gouge you everywhere they can. I’ve never felt so overcharged and taken advantage of as I have here. It’s not located very close to restaurants, cafes or anything else, so unless you are gone for the whole day, you don’t have much choice but to pay the exorbitant prices. And the service or quality of the food and drinks do not come close to trying to justify the costs.

We went to the pool and it took 10 min for someone to come take our order, not a huge deal, but then it took 25 min for our 4 basic drinks to arrive - with a $75 bill!! And 2 of them were virgin drinks! I was shocked.

We then go back to the room to order room service for dinner and find that they charge 10 euros per person just to deliver to the room! I’ve never seen such a ridiculous charge in all my travels. An 18% service fee would have been cheaper!

We had also paid for the breakfast buffet as part of our stay, and one morning my husband wasn’t feeling well, so I asked the staff if I could bring him something back. They said sure no problem, we’ll bring it to you in the room. And they sure did, 1 omelette, a coffee and an orange juice, with a 35 euro bill! Had I known that I certainly wouldn’t have asked for it.

At a 5 star hotel I expect the prices to be high, but this has been ridiculous.

If you will only be here to sleep, fine, it’s a nice quiet place with comfortable rooms, but for anything beyond that you may be quite disappointed.

Room Tip: Our rooms overlooking the pool/garden were quiet, I think quieter than on the other side which is ov...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank globetrottingfor4
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Ok, I will start by explaining the title, this applies to the hotel's concierge Mario who made our brief stay amazing,nothing was too much trouble from organising to have my husband's new shoes soled, the shoes were taken from our room whilst we were out,taking in Rome's sights and returned before us,in their dust bag with the finest of soles applied,no doubt by a master cobbler, they got VIP treatment!! Then we needed a car to take us to Umbria with just a few hours notice, Mario arranged for a gleaming black Mercedes,it was hired, delivered to the door, with the agreement made it would be collected from Pisa airport in 5 days time.This kicked off our Italian adventure in the spectacular eternal city of Rome before heading off to Umbria for a wedding and then on to explore Tuscany.
The Alrovandi hotel is beautiful,a tranquil oasis surrounded by the glorious Borghese gardens, what a treat to have such a wonderful pool, with 5 star service so close to the city and nothing beats a swim after a long days sightseeing.
Our deluxe room was so comfortable, king size bed, wonderful expensive linen, enormous bathroom with tons of penhaligon toiletries, Blenheim bouquet,which is my favourite, although puzzling they didn't choose an Italian brand.
We slept so well, so quiet, you wouldn't believe you were in a city, then on to breakfast which is simply a banquet, an enormous table laden with a buffet groaning with everything anyone could ask for and huge ice buckets filled with bottles of fizz!
The Spa looked amazing, unfortunately we didn't have enough time this trip to have treatments but with definitely next time we stay.
The lobby with its magnificent floral displays is a sight to behold, gorgeous white hydrangeas everywhere,it is beautiful, this makes the creepy mannequins very unnecessary.
Also the only negative comment is the same as a previous reviewer mentioned, check in, we were told this would be at 2pm, after several visits to reception we finally got our key at 4.45!!! This is unacceptable and the third time this year it has happened to me at other hotels that are members of leading hotels of the world. This needs to be addressed.Moan over.
Other than that it was a wonderful brief encounter, waved off on our next adventure by Mario!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are very comfortable and spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple