“Roman Oasis”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #59 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Arrived at the Aldrovandi on Saturday 16th May for two nights and found the hotel wonderful. After a busy day of sightseeing the pool and garden area is just perfect to relax and unwind in - in response to the earlier comment about the pool not being open - are you sure? The weather was indeed glorious and the pool was open both saturday and sunday.
The room was spacious and looked fresh and overlooked the garden, the bed was comfortable and the room well equipped.
The staff are polite and friendly, especially the garden bar staff who enjoyed making conversation and engaging with customers rather than merely serving them.
The location is slightly outside of central Rome which ensures relaxation in peace and quiet but is near enough to walk to the major sites - it is around a 20-30 minute walk through the Borghese gardens to the Spanish steps - we also took advantage of the minibus - a taxi from Piazza Navano is around 10 euros.
Unfortuantely we didn't take advantage of the restaurant but again with it being in the garden it looks a wonderful place to have an early or late evening meal.
We will be returning to Rome at least once this year and will be staying again at the Aldrovandi.

1  Thank StevePike
Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed 18 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel in mid-May (room 425) and left unhappy with the experience. On the plus side we enjoyed a decent late meal from room service having arrived late on the first evening and we found the guy who served the food pleasant and welcoming.
On the minus side there were a number of things which left us disappointed (i) our room was damned small and in no way resembled the photos posted on the hotel's own website (our room was tired and old in comparison); (ii) small thing but annoying - our bed had only one thin pillow per person when we got there and I had to call housekeeping for extras - I really would not expect to have to do that in a 300 Euro+ a night hotel; (iii) the swimming pool (a big selling point when booking) was closed until June (why? - the weather was glorious); (iv) the costs of PPV films and Wifi are comically high (22 Euros to watch a film, 17 Euros for 24 hours of wifi access - ludicrous both); and (v) the staff at the front desk and the door were consistently unwelcoming (particularly the older guy on the front desk who could barely manage to speak to us). At no point did we feel like we were getting the sort of service we had paid for.
To me the guest directory best summed up the experience - there isn't room for a section entitled "housekeeping" or a number to call for such issues but there is a detailed section informing you of the hotel's dresscode for the various public areas. I have stayed in a good number of hotels over the years which are, like this, branded as 5 star and in the main have had a great time - this is a sad exception and I would not recommend a stay.

1  Thank CCHLondon
Reviewed 6 May 2009

In this hotel everything seems to be perfect - very clean - very kind staff - very good breakfast (breakfast waiters are are kind and helpful)

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank rtwtraveller10
Reviewed 5 May 2009

First the plus: Great front desk and portier and bar staffs, nice and big suites (Suite 416 is great for its quietness)

But numerous strong minus:
1) I still don"t get why I had to pay 35c/min for the use of Internet in the biz center + 35cts for every page printed,
2) Room service: I paid 40€ for one piece of veal + fries for my 2-year old daughter (including 15€. for the fries instead of the regular vegetables). As they don't have any child menus, you have to choose from the adults plates with no chopped steak + fries for the children
3) Room service again: One of the smallest choices I got from a 5-star hotel and don't try to ask for the Michelin-star Baby restaurant menu, they will say "No Sir no room service for this cuisine"... Totally snobish
4) When I order for some 100s of €uros, I really hate it when someone asks me if I kept a spoon, like"Are you a thief or what?"
5) The shuttle which is supposed to come and go to the Piazza di Spagna. Fully booked often or just not working until 6.25PM on week-ends. Alright, the hotel is aware of that so they offer you to ask a receipt from the cab and that will taken into account in your bill. But still, it [---]!
Not very strong minus indeed but enough to make me wonder why I spent my money in a place where I had not much consideration.

Finally the location: well, plus and minus. Far from the noise but also far from all of the interesting parts.

Sorry, but next time I will definitely stay at the Hassler or the Inn at the Roman Forum

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank florent
aldrovandipalace, Executive Director at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2009

Dear Mrs. Florence

Let me first of all express my apologies for not being able to fulfill your expectation.

We are seriously taking into consideration your comment and be really assured that every effort will be made to continuously improve our services.

Some points you have highlighted will be immediately revised whilst others will require actions to be planned in order to evaluate alternative solutions.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future

Please contact me personally for your next coming to Rome, I will make sure to have you as our preferred guest here at the Aldrovandi Palace.

Sincere Regards

Reviewed 4 May 2009

Some months ago I was planning to make a romantic trip with my wife in Rome. A friend of mine suggested my wife to organize our second honeymoon at Aldrovandi Palace. I must say that he was right. Incredible hospitality, wonderfull service, lovely room, friendly staff, fantastic atmosphere......what else !
If you're looking for the best. Aldrovandi Palace is simply the best !

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
aldrovandipalace, Executive Director at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2009

Dear Sir

Thank you for choosing the Aldrovandi Palace Villa Borghese for the romantic get away with your wife!

I am glad that our Team was able to make Your stay a memorable and I truly wish to thank you for your kind review.

Please contact me personally on your next visit to the Eternal City and I will make sure you will enjoy even more your stay with us!

Reviewed 3 May 2009

We, my sister and I have travelled to Rome for about ten times till now and this is the first hotel that we really really liked. From the reception on our arrival till our departured we were pampered by every single member of the staff of Aldrovandi. But gentleman Giancarlo really went out of his way to help us.
We also adored the garden and the breakfast room overlooking the garden. The only downside was that the rooms are not soundproof. We will definitely go back.

Nicky den Boer, Amsterdam

• Stayed: April 2009
aldrovandipalace, Executive Director at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2009

Dear Mr Den Boer

Greetings from the Aldrovandi Palace Villa Borghese!

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, our day could not start in a better way!

I will immediately share your appreciation with the entire Team!

Please contact me directly for your next visit, I will personally make sure you will enjoy even more your stay with us!

Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed in room 428 from april 4th till april 11th 2009. The hotel is excellent and the staff is very professional and courteous. The disadvantage for some because of the location somewhat away from the places of interest, was an advantage for us, since the hotel is located in a very residential, calm and safe neighbourhood. The free shuttle bus makes up for this disadvantage, although 7.25 pm as the latest return to the hotel from the Piazza di Spagna is too early. The Villa Borghese and the beautiful Galleria Borghese with magnificent sculptures of Bernini ( let the concierge of the hotel make the necessary reservations for a visit to the Galleria) are nearby and the park is lovely for a walk on a sunny day.
So the hotel is perfect for a visit to Rome, without having to undergo the never ending hustle and bustle of a metropole. When you come back to the hotel after a busy day of sightseeing, with sore feet, you arrive in an oasis of peace and quiet.
Our room was a nice refurbished room. Not too big, but big enough for 2. The house keeping staff did a perfect job, with turndown service in the evening.
The view from the room was less. We looked out on the parking lot of the hotel, and, granted, on the very beautiful embassy of the Netherlands.
One tip for people who like authentic Italian cuisine: ristorante Pararoma, 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Excellent cuisine, very reasonably priced. Certainly not a tourist trap. For those who like japanese food (even when in Italy) like us, Hamasei, not far from the Piazza di Spagna.
Some points of criticism:
we stayed for 7 nights in the hotel. The buffet breakfast was fine, but was the same every morning with no variation. Not everything from the warm buffet, was warm. The pastry that was on the buffet, also was the same kind every day.
The cost of internet (25 EUR. for 24 hours) was too expensive. Hotels like this should offer this complimentary to their guests.
And finally, when we made the reservation, we informed the hotel that it was a special trip since we celebrated our 25th marriage anniversary and we became both 50 years of age. The hotel replied that they would take that into consideration, but apparently they forgot, what shouldn' happen to a hotel belonging to the "Leading Hotels of the World".
All things considered, a top hotel in a lovely city. Worth recommending.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mat.
aldrovandipalace, Executive Director at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2009

Dear Sir, Dear Madame

Thank you for choosing the Aldrovandi Palace Villa Borghese for your stay in the Eternal City!

We are happy to learn that you found the hotel excellent and the staff very professional.

I do agree with you when you say that the hotel is an elegant oasis of peace and quietness.

I also reviewed your comments regarding the shuttle service, breakfast and internet in order to evaluate alternative solutions.

Once again, thank you for the comments which will help us in our ongoing efforts to provide a unique guest experience.