“A Calm Oasis”

Ranked #51 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
London
“A Calm Oasis”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

The previous positive reviews are pretty accurate in my opinion.
The property is a beautiful former villa, located in a quiet Diplomatic area of Rome.
In addition to the points made earlier about proximity to the sights of Rome, it's worth pointing out that the hotel is directly on the tram route, where you can buy a 75 minute travel ticket for 1 euro.
There are also some local bars, cafes, restaurants and shops within less that 10 minutes stroll. We ate at one of these and had a lovely evening.
The hotels restaurant "Baby" was superb. We had a package which included dinner. We both opted for the tasting menu, which was marvellous.
Wine was reasonably priced, but cocktails appeared less so.
We found that we were able to make a deal with the cab driver when returning to FCO airport, for 50 Euros, which works out the same as a cab to the Termini and then 2 tickets for the train. A cab all the way, was far more comfortable.
Good communication from the front desk regarding our lost luggage and a late check out was no problem.
Thoroughly enjoyable stay with a definate intention to return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
aldrovandipalace, Executive Director at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 14 July 2009
Dear Sir, Dear Madame

Thank You for nice review of your recent stay in the Eternal City.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the quietness and elegance of the Aldrovandi Palace Villa Borghese.

Thank You also for your comments regarding the baby restaurant which is certainly a unique gastronomic experience.

We are also glad that we were able to resolve the issue with your luggage.

Please contact me personally for your next visit of the Eternal City as we would like you to enjoy even more your stay with us.

Sincerely

Massimo Mainella
Executive Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We stayed there with my boyfriend for 2 nights, but even in such short period this place impressed us really a lot. First of all it has perfect location - just in the heart of Villa Borghese - in a peaceful zone, but very close to the center, just 10 min walking and you are in Piazza Spagna.
The room was VERY spacious, perfectly equipped, clean, with new furniture and modern technics. We had both shower and bath, that is really comfortable.
Breakfast was also included to the price and I can say that is one on the most rich breakfast I've ever seen - all food was really fresh, especially pastry and of course noone can re,ain hungry after such breakfast.
For the guests of the hotel there was provided a shuttle bus that takes you every 30 min to the city center and then in evening brings you back.
Probably the only thing that I would change in that hotel - is the Internet - it has a supplementary fee, but at the same time for Rome this thing is more than normal.

2 Thank superubi
london
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I stayed at the Aldrovandi Palace last weekend and i have to say we had a fantastic time. The hotel was beautiful; set in the tranquil villa borghese gardens it really was an oasis from the hectic and noisy city center of Rome, yet we still managed to walk everywhere- a brisk walk to the Vatican or the Colosseum took just over 45 mins, the hotel has a shuttle to the centre of Rome every hour which puts you in the centre of Rome if your not up for the walking. The hotel pool was beautiful and while it was not officially open the hotel was more than happy for us to use it and provided towels, sun loungers and even waiter service as the weather was amazing. The buffet breakfast had everything you needed and kept us filled up till dinner. Id certainly recommend it anyone especially those looking to enjoy the hetic buzz of Rome whilst staying in a peaceful luxury hotel. ill look forward to staying at the Aldrovandi Palace again.

my only bone of contention is the very pricey internet- i really dont undestand how they can change so much for 24 hours of internet!

2 Thank drjohn01
Zurich
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Arrived at the Aldrovandi on Saturday 16th May for two nights and found the hotel wonderful. After a busy day of sightseeing the pool and garden area is just perfect to relax and unwind in - in response to the earlier comment about the pool not being open - are you sure? The weather was indeed glorious and the pool was open both saturday and sunday.
The room was spacious and looked fresh and overlooked the garden, the bed was comfortable and the room well equipped.
The staff are polite and friendly, especially the garden bar staff who enjoyed making conversation and engaging with customers rather than merely serving them.
The location is slightly outside of central Rome which ensures relaxation in peace and quiet but is near enough to walk to the major sites - it is around a 20-30 minute walk through the Borghese gardens to the Spanish steps - we also took advantage of the minibus - a taxi from Piazza Navano is around 10 euros.
Unfortuantely we didn't take advantage of the restaurant but again with it being in the garden it looks a wonderful place to have an early or late evening meal.
We will be returning to Rome at least once this year and will be staying again at the Aldrovandi.

1 Thank StevePike
London
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel in mid-May (room 425) and left unhappy with the experience. On the plus side we enjoyed a decent late meal from room service having arrived late on the first evening and we found the guy who served the food pleasant and welcoming.
On the minus side there were a number of things which left us disappointed (i) our room was damned small and in no way resembled the photos posted on the hotel's own website (our room was tired and old in comparison); (ii) small thing but annoying - our bed had only one thin pillow per person when we got there and I had to call housekeeping for extras - I really would not expect to have to do that in a 300 Euro+ a night hotel; (iii) the swimming pool (a big selling point when booking) was closed until June (why? - the weather was glorious); (iv) the costs of PPV films and Wifi are comically high (22 Euros to watch a film, 17 Euros for 24 hours of wifi access - ludicrous both); and (v) the staff at the front desk and the door were consistently unwelcoming (particularly the older guy on the front desk who could barely manage to speak to us). At no point did we feel like we were getting the sort of service we had paid for.
To me the guest directory best summed up the experience - there isn't room for a section entitled "housekeeping" or a number to call for such issues but there is a detailed section informing you of the hotel's dresscode for the various public areas. I have stayed in a good number of hotels over the years which are, like this, branded as 5 star and in the main have had a great time - this is a sad exception and I would not recommend a stay.

1 Thank CCHLondon
Varese, Italy
Reviewed 6 May 2009

In this hotel everything seems to be perfect - very clean - very kind staff - very good breakfast (breakfast waiters are are kind and helpful)

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank rtwtraveller10
Le Vesinet, France
Reviewed 5 May 2009

First the plus: Great front desk and portier and bar staffs, nice and big suites (Suite 416 is great for its quietness)

But numerous strong minus:
1) I still don"t get why I had to pay 35c/min for the use of Internet in the biz center + 35cts for every page printed,
2) Room service: I paid 40€ for one piece of veal + fries for my 2-year old daughter (including 15€. for the fries instead of the regular vegetables). As they don't have any child menus, you have to choose from the adults plates with no chopped steak + fries for the children
3) Room service again: One of the smallest choices I got from a 5-star hotel and don't try to ask for the Michelin-star Baby restaurant menu, they will say "No Sir no room service for this cuisine"... Totally snobish
4) When I order for some 100s of €uros, I really hate it when someone asks me if I kept a spoon, like"Are you a thief or what?"
5) The shuttle which is supposed to come and go to the Piazza di Spagna. Fully booked often or just not working until 6.25PM on week-ends. Alright, the hotel is aware of that so they offer you to ask a receipt from the cab and that will taken into account in your bill. But still, it [---]!
Not very strong minus indeed but enough to make me wonder why I spent my money in a place where I had not much consideration.

Finally the location: well, plus and minus. Far from the noise but also far from all of the interesting parts.

Sorry, but next time I will definitely stay at the Hassler or the Inn at the Roman Forum

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank florent
aldrovandipalace, Executive Director at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 7 May 2009
Dear Mrs. Florence

Let me first of all express my apologies for not being able to fulfill your expectation.

We are seriously taking into consideration your comment and be really assured that every effort will be made to continuously improve our services.

Some points you have highlighted will be immediately revised whilst others will require actions to be planned in order to evaluate alternative solutions.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future

Please contact me personally for your next coming to Rome, I will make sure to have you as our preferred guest here at the Aldrovandi Palace.

Sincere Regards