“Amazing Experience”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #60 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I had the opportunity to stay there for 2 nights and it was fabulous. Highly recommended to anyone traveling in the area. Friendly staff & great service A++

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Hubie79

Reviewed 4 October 2010

The hotel is amazing. It was our first trip to rom and we had a wonderful stay. the staff is very kind and friendly. The employees are very helpful and nice. We are so impressed from this hotel and the rooms. The rooms are new renovated big and cosy.The rooms are beautiful and have all the comfort which we need. We will come next year again.

Reviewed 29 September 2010

I’m very late getting this review in as we stayed at the Aldrovandi Palace for one week in early December 2008.

To put our remarks in perspective, we are surprised to read some of the negative reviews. Our experience was positive … even when things went a bit awry, such as when I locked my laptop in the room safe in such a way that it pressed against the safe door, preventing it from reopening (a hotel maintenance man soon solved the problem).

We were visiting Rome to attend our niece’s wedding. It was our first visit to Rome since 1968 (my wife had been there a couple days in the Summer of 1968 as a student, while I spent a month there also as a student, coincidentally at the same time although we did not meet until 5 years later).

As over the years our view of “roughing it” has become “staying at a 4 star hotel”, it was important that we select the right hotel. We had several alternatives lined up in case the Aldrovandi Palace did not turn out as advertised. We needn’t have bothered.

When we arrived, check-in was friendly and efficient. We were advised that our first choice of room was not available for the first night because the hotel was fully booked. The room we were given was much smaller than expected (but not small by the standards of many European hotels), but it was well appointed, clean and comfortable, and looked out over the rear courtyard where the pool is located [note: due to the season, we did not try the pool which is officially closed in the winter season, but a walk around the pool impressed me that it is a good place to enjoy a hot Roman Summer afternoon, and such nice pools are not especially common for many Rome hotels). To make up for the room, we were invited by the manager to have complementary drinks at the hotel’s charming little lobby bar. Those drinks led to a daily visit to the bar for the remainder of our stay. The bar staff were excellent and in the case of one, very inventive (if Simone Spimpolo is on duty when you visit the bar, ask him to make you a “Sofia”; it is very refreshing and delicious, as promised). Drinks are served with small snacks, olives, etc., so it is a very enjoyable experience. The desk staff also recommended an excellent restaurant for us that evening, as the hotel’s premier restaurant (very highly rated, but not inexpensive by anyone’s definition) was closed that night. [Note: There is a small grill room behind the lobby bar that offers a reduced and relatively inexpensive menu for evenings when the premier restaurant is closed, but we wanted to go out that night. As it turned out, we never ate dinner at the hotel, something I now regret.]

The next day we were advised that a better room would be available and that if we wished, our things would be transferred to the new room later in the day once it was made up for us. We agreed and went out for the day, informing the staff that when we returned, my wife’s sister and her husband would be joining us for a drink in the room.

When we returned that afternoon, our new room was ready and we found a tray of snacks and a chilled bottle of spumante awaiting us … and the snacks and spumante were again supplied with the complements of the manager. So far, the hotel was doing all it could to make us happy, and if anything we going well beyond the call of duty. The new room also looked over the rear courtyard, but from a different angle, and was easily twice the size of the previous room. Again, the room was very comfortable, well furnished and clean, and the staff had moved everything and placed it in closets and drawers just as it had been in the prior room. Nothing was not where it was expected. The bath was also much larger and well appointed, but I should note the shower was of capsule design that was a new experience for me and I imagine it could be a bit confining for very large-size guests (sumo wrestlers need not apply).

As reported by other guests, the breakfasts were very nice as was the breakfast service. My one criticism of the breakfasts would be that the offering did not vary throughout the week, although enough variety was offered each day so that for the week’s stay, it was not a problem. The pastries, fruits, meats, eggs, etc., and most importantly the coffee, were of excellent quality. One day we lingered over breakfast for about 90 minutes, and the staff were happy to keep bringing the cappuccinos.

As I thought the hotel had potential to host a small conference for professional associations with which I am associated, I requested a comprehensive tour of the hotel, which was gladly given. I came away thinking my initial assessment of its suitability for that purpose was confirmed.

Some guests have criticised the location. We were very happy with it. Unlike many hotels in Rome, the Aldrovandi Palace’s location is very quiet. We enjoyed walking through the Borghese Gardens the few times that we did so (it was Winter, and as the week developed there was rain which limited those excursions … the week after we departed the rains became more severe and parts Rome suffered significant flooding). I would not walk in the Borghese Gardens at night, nor does the hotel staff recommend so doing. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to and from the Spanish Steps which is very convenient, although it ceases perhaps a bit too early in the evening. Taxis to the hotel, when needed, were easy to come by and not expensive (except for one evening, when it seemed half of Rome was waiting in line). We also found the tram and bus lines that operate past the hotel very convenient; one tram takes you to the Vatican, while one of the buses took an interesting, round-about, route to the Coliseum which allowed us to see aspects of the city likely missed by most tourists. Many embassies are located nearby (I have found in other capital cities that embassy districts tend to have hotels upon which greater service and quality demands are made, and that such districts also tend to have some interesting small restaurant offerings … and such is the case for the Aldrovandi Palace). However, there are very few shops anywhere near the hotel, so if you are looking to purchase some chocolates or whatever nearby, you are largely out of luck.

The week’s stay continued to proceed well and the staff continued to be efficient and friendly. The stay was special in some respects because nothing really stood out. It all went smoothly and without a hitch other than what I have described.

I have recommended the hotel to others and will continue to do so. It is likely that we will return to Rome again soon and I believe we may use the Aldrovandi Palace again, especially if we are staying for more than a couple nights as in terms of price, it is a much better value offer than other 5 star hotels in Rome. Even if we are in Rome for only for a night or two and opt to stay in a more centrally located hotel, I believe I might stop by the Aldrovandi Palace to enjoy another Sofia in the lobby bar, if I can time my visit for when Simone is on duty.

The Aldrovandi Palace is a great boutique 5 star hotel. Perhaps you might not be so lucky when you stay there, but odds are you will enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AussieLawyer
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I made an 1000 euro mistake staying here. I planned my trip to Rome a year ago being a LHW club level member I originally booked a Grand Deluxe room at the Hassler Hotel . I watched TA every day and watched the ratings for the Hassler go down and the Alvorandi go up. I also booked the St. Regis bad location, and the Spledide Royal very bad reviews so two weeks prior I switched to the Alvorandi based on TA reviews. Well I learned my lesson take all reviews with a grain of salt...BIG Grain! The service at the Hotel was fine no problem there but the breakfast Buffet was lacking. The Hotel is far from everything, if not for the shuttle this hotel would be a ghost town. It is very quiet around the hotel especially at night which is a good thing . But do not stay in room 516 it is a one bedroom suite huge by European standards, but not luxury by any standard. for 1000 euros a night I just dont want a big room I wanted a room with a view of the Vactican and some Luxury. On top of that the hotel lobby had a smell of Old Peoples Powder..Opp. I noticed a lot of Brits as guests they must like that but my wife didnt like it and I was disappointed with the Buffett. So we took the shuttle to the Spanish steps and when we passed the Hassler Hotel from the outside my heart fell into my stomach. I made a big mistake! Later that day we went back to the Hassler snd checked out the hotel all I can say is Wow! This is what I wanted I whipped out my Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club Card and Roberto was able to secure me room 205 with a balcony and view overlooking the Spanish steps and the Dome of the Vatican. Resturants, shopping close to everything was there. We went back to the hotel checked out of the Alvonrandi after one night and explained to the front desk that we were moving to the Hassler. The Hassler was also cheaper the room was smaller but much better especially the bathroom. The look on the front desks persons face said it all when I told her we liked the Hassler better. Also at the Hassler there was no Opp....!

2  Thank Terrell H
Reviewed 21 September 2010

In making my travel plans...I discovered I was going to be "forced" to spend 4 days in Rome....... my first though was uggg Rome in August ... (I had been here a few times before staying in a private residence). So with the help of TripAdvisor I set out to find a hotel. As I had just spent a week in the mountains, 10 days by the sea I was not going to end this holiday on an unhappy note ..... the criteria for my search was .... somewhere off the park, and a swimming pool....... the result was the Alrovandi Villa Borghese ....

Thank you TripAdvisor ...what a wonder experience........ the location was great ... it is either a 15 minute walk through a beautiful park or a short (free) van ride to the Spanish Stairs... the Staff was wonderful ........... Professional, helpful and even good for some laughs. My room was clean and happy and I slept very well.....and normally I am a poor sleeper. The breakfast buffet was an endless table of food ..... everything from scrambled eggs to Mozzarella, tomato and basil. The Pool and surrounding were the perfect siesta to wandering the street of Rome in the morning. I did not eat at the hotel famed restaurant Baby ...but I did eat in the Grill Room ....the food was excellent...but the menu lacked imagination ...

This is a hotel for people who enjoy what is offered, so if you are on a budget, worried about money or who enjoy their holidays find faults.... you are best to go elsewhere

I did lie in my title...I have one regret...not staying here longer

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank rhintas
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Room was noisy - there is tram passing in front of the building. There was no shower gel in the room and I had to ask for it three times to get it (over the two-day period). Moreover, I also had to ask for laundry bags - they were also missing in my room.
Last but not least - strange waterish smell in the room.

Reviewed 10 September 2010

caught a shuttle from the airport for 35 Euro, looks good from the outside nice introduction and induction to sign in and shown ton room. this was below standard for a 5* room, we had to ask 3 times for pillows and 20min wait for ice. vanity kit was empty every day in the bathroom. no complimentary water in the room and no free wifi, but there is a free business center for 30mins. the bar man is very good but the hotel lacks stock, they don't have a lot or ingredients for drink and we asked for one that was on the menu and couldn't do it as well as a mojito.
on a brighter note the food is amazing from BABY (1 Michelin star) as well as the grill.
pool area is nice however not much privacy we did have to get our own sun bed mats and request towels, the guy seemed to only bring them over as an when he felt like.

i was over charged as we left i will check this with them soon.