“Helpful staff”

Ranked #93 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Newport-on-Tay
“Helpful staff”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel is in a good location with both attractions and restaurants nearby, and a shortish walk from the railway station. The hotel is tastfully decorated although our bedroom was very small with only space to hang clothes with no drawers (but they do find space for a mini bar). The breakfast room isn't big but the food on offer was nice. The biggest plus for this familyrun hotel is the staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, even recommending a nearby restaurant and calling them to ensure we arrived ok!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelAmalfiRoma, Direttore at Amalfi Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest

We are happy to know you had a good time wih us!

Thanks for enjoying our service and the breakfast !

Looking forward to host you again the future!

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

First class family run hotel. Rooms were excellent, cleanliness excellent. Facilities in bathrooms were also excellent. The lady who looked after breakfast was a really treasure. The owners were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble, they were always smiling. We would return with no hesitation.

Room Tip: We asked if we could have a large room when we booked.
1 Thank MHarper2014
Dear Guest,

We're glad that you liked our family Hotel!

We hope to see you again in the future!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our first time in Rome was made all the more enjoyable because of the friendly welcome we received upon our arrival. The hotel is a family run hotel & the staff could not do enough for us.
My wife & I were given a smaller room than we had anticipated on arrival & when I asked if it would be possible to have a larger room it was done the same day with a fantastic view over looking the city. I forgot my adaptors & again I only had to enquire once & I was given 2 adaptors to use during our stay . lBreakfast was good & service again a high standard. The Hotel has been run for the last 30 years by the same family & we can fully recommend it .

1 Thank Roger D
Dear Guest,

Thankyou very much for sharing such a beautiful review with TA users!

We do hope to host you again in the future!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during our honeymoon. We arrived and the man working the front desk was very nice and helpful with places to go and eat. Our room was fine but it did smell strongly of cigarette smoke which I didn't like. We were staying in a non-smoking room. I took a shower, grabbed a bath towel, and the towel smelled of cigarettes too. After the room was cleaned once it was fine and the smell went away but not great to initially walk into. Breakfast was alright, nothing great but not bad either. Overall it was a fine hotel to stay at.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelAmalfiRoma, Direttore at Amalfi Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thankyou very much for reviewing us!

We're happy you had a nice stay with us.

We're sorry for the smell you had in the room the first night.

The Amalfi Hotel is a non-smoking hotel and in every room there is a no smoking sign.

Unfortunately, some people do not respect it and smoke in the room :(

Probably the cleaning lady has not been able to completely eliminate the smell of smoke.

If you had warned us we would have immediately changed the room.

Remember always to speak with us for any problem you have!

We hope to see you again very soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel in April 2014. The hotel has a lot of old world charm and was clean and neat. The people at the front desk were very very helpful and pleasant and there is a wonderful woman that handles the breakfast service (she is so sweet and will keep you smiling all morning). We found our room to be quite small especially the bathroom. The hotel is in an ok location, very close to the subway and you need to use the subway to get to most places. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sherry E
Dear Guest,

We wish to thankyou for your feedback.

We're happy you had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel Amalfi.

We hope to see you in the next future!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We've just come back from four nights in Rome, staying at the Amalfi. We'd chosen the hotel having read other travellers' recommendations and weren't disappointed. We were made very welcome and although the room was tiny we only slept in it (and slept well). All the staff were friendly and helpful and it was nice to be able to practise my Italian with people who didn't reply in English! Breakfast was good and plenty of it too and if you want a drink in the room they'll provide a kettle and cups at no cost. The location was very good, easy to find from the station, easy to get to the main attractions and only a ten minute train ride to the Vatican. A few recommendations, if you haven't booked in advance, don't queue up at the Colosseum for your tickets, we went to the Roman Forum entrance for around 9am and the queue was pretty much non existent (although we should have pre-booked the tour of the dungeons), also book a tour guide for the Vatican but the audio guide for the Colosseum as this was much easier to understand and hear. Buona vacanza!

1 Thank Kathy O
Dear Guest,

Thankyou very much for your review!

We're really happy you had a nice stay with us.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Adelaide
Reviewed 1 May 2014

After staying in a different hotel for my first two nights in Rome I was excited to get to Amalfi Hotel after reading such great reviews however my expectations were not quite as expected.

The staff were friendly however hotel appearances are old and certainly in need of updating. My room was very small, just a single bed with a bedside table - no room to store my bag as such. Bed was very hard also. My first nights sleep was terrible due to people making noise in the hotel until very late in the evening - this is probably due to very thin walls which I have read about in previous reviews.

Breakfast was fine - nothing exciting but ok. The coffee however was...unusual. I had a black coffee 'americano' on my first morning and it tasted and smelled like a cleaning product - not sure what happened there but I couldnt drink more than a sip.

Wifi was fine with no issues.

Location wise, it is in an unusual spot, fairly close to the Colloseum and only a few minutes from Termini 1 but a good 20 minute walk from the city centre.

Value wise, I was quite shocked at the price. I paid considerably more for this hotel than I did for another which was in a far better location and much better value. I almost feel like I was charged for a room which I didnt receive and had I stayed for more than 2 nights I would have said something.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Caroline P
HotelAmalfiRoma, Direttore at Amalfi Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Caroline,

Thankyou very much for reviewing us!

Firstly, let me say that i'm sad we did not manage to meet your expectation.

As i read from your words you're an expert traveller and i'm surprised that you didn't ask us to change the room! We're always at disposal of our guests! If you have any problem just tell us and we will try to solve it! :)

a) I’m glad that you like our staff.

b) I don’t agree that the hotel appears old. Some people prefer ultra modern hotels built 5 years ago but the Amalfi Hotel is a hotel in a historical building from the beginning of the 900.I think this old-fashioned style is a pro, not a con. Anyway, it's just my opinion and I do not pretend that all people can think and feel the same.

c) Your room was a normal single room for a 3 star hotel that respect all standards. For sure some rooms are larger than others. You could ask at the reception for another room!

d) I’m sorry that the first night you couldn’t sleep. I don’t think the problem is the (thin) wall cause your room was not near other rooms and was on the back side of the Hotel. Sure if people make noise on the corridor can be a problem. You could notify the problem to the front desk so we could advise customers not to make noise

e) We’re sorry for the coffee that you didn’t like. This is very unusual as you can read from all the other reviewers that like our breakfast and our Natasha! Why you didn’t ask for another coffee? Natasha would be more than pleased to prepare you another one!

f) “Value wise, I was quite shocked at the price”. Well, I have checked your reservation (25-26 April, booked 10 days before) and in that two days you were paying the lowest rate of the hotel!!! Maybe you didn’t know but in that two days there was one of the biggest event of the history! Pope Francis, with Retired Pope, Canonizes Saints John and John Paul! There were million tourists in Rome and hotel prices were very high (not only ours) for that weekend! People that wanted a good rate made the booking also one year before!

g) Please accept one advise even if you are an expert traveller. If you book directly through the Hotel website and not through a third part you could save between 15% and 25%. That is the commission that you pay and that is not going to the Hotel ;)

h) About the location. We’re in front of the magnificent Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore that you can see from our windows. A short walk from Termini Station and a short walk from the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. It’s not this the city center? The 96% of our reviewers think yes.

I do not understand why you didn’t give us the possibility to help you and find a solution.

Now is too late and we can't do anything!

I really hope you can give us a second chance to change your mind about our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and feel free to contact me for any further info.