“A treat!”
Review of The Duke Hotel

The Duke Hotel
Ranked #150 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Quite in Rome's confusion, yet perfectly central with good shuttle service. The breakfast is a feast and the food in the main restaurant "vaut le voyage". The chef is young so we can keep going back for a long while. Comfortable suites.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bioarc
There are newer reviews for The Duke Hotel

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I am sometimes put off by a hotel being located away from the sites, but the hotel's web site made it look an appealing base. The shuttle which takes guests to and from the Flamini/Popolo area needs to be booked in advance, but had room each time we wanted it which was 4 times a day - morning there, afternoon back, then out for the evening. It was never late either.

At the hotel, the staff were helpful and although reception was busy, they were never rude or disinterested.

The Polo Lounge is a comfortable and aesthetically pleasing room in which to take an aperitif or digestif either side of a meal taken in the hotel. The menu was of modest variety, but that is usually a sign that each dish will be properly prepared, as it was for us. The service was excellent, despite some guests being provocatively disinterested in the actual food, distracted as they were by tablets and phones. I felt it was somewhat disrespectful, but it seems that almost no dining experience in Rome was free of mobile devices, so it was not a comment.
The breakfast was excellent - always better to accept the bespoke coffee offered than help yourself to the more average standing coffee. The buffet included a good range of fruit, cereals, hot and cold meat, bread, pastries, cakes and even prosecco.

The Superior room (Secret Escapes upgrade) was spacious with a good-sized bathroom and walk-in wardrobe/dressing room with a solid room-safe and chest of drawers. We didn't use the TV, but it looked fairly new.
The second floor balcony view was onto a residential street as they all would be, but gave fresh air had we needed it.
The bed was good and the linen appeared to be changed daily, as it felt fresh.
I think there is a spa facility, but we did not use it.
Wi-fi was accessed by getting a text of the code each day and there was a desktop computer with printer available, if needed.

Overall, there was very little to fault and we would go back with no qualms.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lewis H
TheDukeHotel, Proprietario at The Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Mr. Lewis,
I would like to thank you on behalf of all the staff of The Duke Hotel for the beautiful and rewarding review.
The Duke Hotel tries every time to satisfy every client's needs in order to guarantee an excellent service and unforgettable holiday in Rome to every Guest.
With great pleasure I’d like to inform you that the hotel provides different Spa treatments in next door Wellness and Health centre – Rigenesi as well as professional sport activities in nearby Aquaniene Sport Club, which has also Olympic swimming pool.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel, I would like to send you my best greetings for Happy New Year. OK

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Late comment for 2010 travel.
The entire experience at this hotel was excellent. My only other comment is the same as with many hotels : more consideration should be given to the choice to couch, or lounge, in the room. After a long day, everyone feels the need to rest their body, and tub chairs are not entirely adequate.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank dendyp

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comment and for your stay at The Duke Hotel.
I appreciate your kind suggestions and I'll certainly take them in great consideration for the next implementation.

My best greetings for Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 November 2013

My wife and I flew to Rome for a long weekend to celebrate her birthday. Our flight from Heathrow was delayed by one hour and our arrival at Rome was equally late. This looked like being a problem because we had made a private arrangement to be met by transport for the move to the city. Once we were united with our driver we arrived at the Duke Hotel, where we had never stayed before, at 10 pm. Although this was very close to the advertised time the restaurant kitchen would close, we were made welcome and after settling into our 3rd floor room, we went down for something to eat. Despite the late hour, we were offered the full menu and were never under any pressure to eat and depart!
After an excellent buffet breakfast the following morning, Reception arranged a Vatican tour for us and made the Hotel shuttle bus available to take us to the pick-up point. We returned that evening and although we were originally planning to eat out, we had been so impressed by the range and quality (and price!) of the food in the restaurant, we dined in.
On Sunday we had another touristy day with excellent shuttle transport provided by the Hotel. We dined in once again and had an excellent dinner.
The following morning after the alarm call we had requested, we had another marvellous breakfast and then booked out before our move to the departure airport.
We had a memorable stay in this stylish and elegant Hotel. The Duke is well staffed by cheerful, helpful, efficient and friendly people. Our room was quiet and extremely comfortable with the sort of bathroom attached that one would expect in such an establishment. The only minor problem we encountered was that the external telephone, and thus the internet, was not always available because of an external fault - this was not for want of the Hotel staff trying to have repairs effected.
We both thoroughly recommend this Hotel to anyone wishing to visit Rome for a long or short stay.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be quiet and easily accessible with two lifts available
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JohnP22GR
TheDukeHotel, Proprietario at The Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Sir,
In particular, I’d like thank you for your appreciation towards our kitchen and our breakfast, two very important aspects for us and which we cure with particular attention to guarantee our Guests the unforgivable memories. Our rich and various buffet breakfast together with “à la carte” menu creations with authentic Italian and Mediterranean cuisine and home-made desserts make Guests feel like at home.

Last but not least, I would like to thank you for your patience and comprehension shown regarding the inconvenience not caused by our will.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel, I would like to send you my best greetings for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just to say the hotel is not that great but the breakfast very good, plenty of choice for everyone. We had a few problems as when arrived our safe was not working as no new battery, it tooknearly all day for the staff to provide a new battery. Also during our 4 night stay 2 days there was no hot water. WI fi did not work and the telephones, we used one day internet via business centre they have in the hotel, but next day when I came back to use it there was no connection. Just to add the shuttle is ok but book it in advance as it is only 7 seater, we could not book when we were in center for the way back as the main tel num to hotel did not work and they did not provide the other number, we got that number after we arrived and took a taxi. BEacuse of all that we got bit of discount but not much just few teas for free and some stuff from mini bar. I think we should be paying much less beacuse of all the inconvienieces.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Principessauk

Dear Guest,
first of all, I would like to thank you for your compliments regarding our breakfast which we cure with particular attention and daily variety of homemade pastries to guarantee our Guests the best start of their day.
I'm sorry for the delay in replace the remote control battery and regarding other discomforts you told us, I’d like to let you know that they did not depended on our will, as they were caused by damage to the technical cabin of the area which resulted in the interruption of telephone lines, the WIFI and has damaged thermal plant – everything is witnessed by the official documents of the municipality.
I proceeded personally to communicate to all the hotel’s Guests this uncomfortable incident, taking care to provide them an alternate phone number in order to be able to communicate with the hotel. The installers, called urgently by us, have restored only a part of the damage received the same day while for the other repairs and we regret for that, the hotel, as many other customers in the area, had to wait for more specific and delicate intervention, as notified above, the incident did not depend on us.
Regarding our transfer service we inform all our kind Guests that the reservation is required in order to provide a quality and professional service to each Guest. I would like to let you know that out shuttle service is available all week long from 08.00 am till 11.15 pm.

I really hope that my responses were clear and they found your kind approval. I look forward to welcoming you again at The Duke Hotel.

My best greetings for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I booked 3 nights for our anniversary. The hotel was nice and clean. The customer services was disgusting. We had to leave early hours of the first night as my daughter was rushed to hospital for an emergency caesarean (6 weeks early). It was a very stressful time organising flights home. We were aware that is was very busy and the hotel was full. I requested whether we could book for another time and maybe receive a night for free. The reception staff member was rude, commented that the room could be let as everywhere was full, and had no intention of allowing us any kind of refund or free night if we re-booked. Rude and very incompassionate man

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ladybird737
TheDukeHotel, Direttore generale at The Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest,
I’m very sorry for answering you only now. I really apologize if the service has not fully satisfied you.
Could you be so kind to send directly to my email: mvisocchi@thedukehotel.com , the copy of documentation of the incident together with a copy of hotel’s reservation in order to verify and evaluate a sort of compensation.
Looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience, I’d like to send you my best regards and best wishes for Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The hotel in itself was a lovely hotel and looked very nice. We went to Rome for 4 nights and this was a great place to be staying. We went away without the kids and were after a nice hotel with good food and a good bar so after travelling all day we could enjoy a drink together. Unfortunately it was a beautiful hotel but not quite what we were after.

The positives were:
They helped us with a map find where we we're wanting to go and we're very happy to do so.
The breakfast was lovely and lots to offer including sausages, bacon and eggs which is a nice start to the day - good tea and coffee too!
It was very clean and well maintained.

However,
The location is not amazing but there are a few quick places to eat around the bottom of the hill but nothing decent like a good few restaurants. The hotels food was not for me and my partner and a little over priced so we tried to look for food elsewhere. The best place we found was outside the Spanish steps and the price was a fraction compared to the hotel - we got engaged there! Very nice place!
The staff were a bit grumpy and weren't very chatty. They didn't mind helping you but it was straight to the point when talking to you. At breakfast they would show you a table and that was that.
There were no tea making facilities in the rooms which my partner and I would of liked as 2 days out of 4 we were up and out early for trips and travelling so a tea to start or even a little breakfast to take Would have been nice.
There was a power cut the one evening and we had no sorry, complimentary drinks, explanation...nothing! Considering we couldn't go to our room or have a shower ...or even see anything as it was so dark...a little sorry and a drink would of been nice whilst waiting for them to come back on.
There were no channels in English on the tv ...only 2 which were the news.
On check out they didn't say thank you, safe journey or good bye. Just checkout us out and that was that.

I'm a chatty person and enjoy a good positive experience. As I said, it was a nice place but just wished the prices inside were a bit cheaper and they were happier.

Personally if I was to go again (which were hoping to maybe get married somewhere like here) we'd go more central and pay the extra. There are lots more shops, restaurants and English speaking waiters, the Spanish steps would be a good place to stay!!

ROME IN ITSELF IS OUSTANDING!!
COLOSSEUM - amazing!
VATICAN - mind blowing
TREVI FOUNTAIN - unbelievable beautiful piece
SPANISH STEPS - lovely and romantic ...hence engagement :)
POMPEI TRIP - surreal and out of this world. We are a young couple and went to all of these without tours and did it as and when we please which was fabulous. We had a tour (Green Line Tours) for Pompeii and we were a little disappointed as it took 14 hours and the trip itself could have been done in 9 or 10. It took 6 hours to get there with all the stops and breaks which as a couple in their twenties felt we didn't need. The place is worth seeing so if you are good and confident on the metro and trains ...we recommend going out there yourself and going round with the information guide the give you in a little recorder which explains everything to you.

Hope this helps you :)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjowens1

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your kind review and I would like to apologize if the service has not fully satisfied you.
The Duke is an elegant 4* boutique hotel with its unique charming atmosphere, a homely well-stocked bar and “à la carte” menu with authentic Italian and Mediterranean cuisine and home-made desserts that make Guests feel like at home.

Unfortunately, during your stay the hotel hosted a very important and large business meeting with high number of participant together with the confusion of their talks and other, which may have caused you a wrong impression of the hotel. For this reason I kindly ask you to write to my personal email: mvisocchi@thedukehotel.com, with all information you can give in order to improve our quality standards.

Regarding our location, in one of the most elegant and quiet district of Rome – so close to the historic centre e so far away from its noise and between Villa Borghese and Villa Glori gardens, makes The Duke Hotel the ideal place for relax, safety and pleasant walk to nearby museums, such as: Galleria Borghese, Galleria d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea, Museo Villa Giulia and to cultural and sport attractions such as: Auditorium-Parco della Musica, Stadio Olimpico e Stadio Flaminio.

The area is also well connected with public transportations. Within few minutes walk from the hotel, in Piazza Euclide there is a train-metro station to Piazza del Popolo (city centre – Via del Corso), a bus stop to Termini train station, Via Veneto, Olympic Stadium and San Giovanni Cathedral.
The Duke Hotel is happy to provide, free of charge, a Mercedes shuttle to and from Piazza del Popolo (red line metro A) every day from 08.00 am till 11.15 pm.
The hotel’s area also boasts many delicious and not touristic restaurants, some are walking distance from the hotel and some others are located 20 minutes walk. The restaurants, such as: Il Caminetto, Molto, Dukes, Gli Ulivi, Gallura, Ai Piani, Tale Quale, are very appreciated by the Italian and offer an excellent Roman and Italian cuisine. Reception have a detailed list of walking distance restaurants with all information regarding a type of restaurant, costs and service. The Duke Hotel will be pleased to make a reservation for you and to provides you with the directions together with the map or booking you a taxi service.
The area, 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel, is great for shopping with good prices and plenty of famous brands and much more quite than Rome’s historic centre.

I look forward to welcoming you again at The Duke Hotel.
My best greetings for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.