“Aniversiary Trip”
Review of The Duke Hotel

The Duke Hotel
Ranked #150 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was a trip, three nights, to celebrate our 40th wedding aniversiary coming back to Rome which we visited on our honeymoon. The service from the staff was excellent and the hotel shuttle was a great help to get in to town but the drop-off point was still a good bit from the attractions of Rome. I had booked via Secret Escapes who had booked a 'superior room'. The reception confirmed this on arrival and although the room was quite good it looked nothing like the superior room on the hotel website! We were placed in a room on the fourth floor beside the lift which was quite noisy at times particularly around 7-00am so ensure you don't get room 427. Also the view from the room was non-existent looking on to the rear of apartments opposite and their balconies full of rubbish. This was visible from below the outside window shutter which was permanently down.
We had some trouble finding the hotel on arrival from the airport and we were exhausted when we reached the hotel and looking forward to a rest. Because of this I forgot to mention the complimentary afternoon tea and museum entrance which was part of our booking with Secret Escapes and as the receptionist keep our Secret Escapes confirmation I never gave it another thought. I would have expected the reception to mention this, which they did not, inclining me to think what was the reason for holding on to the confirmation. Overall the stay at the Duke was fairly good but it is a bit far out for the attractions and being 40 years older since our last
visit to Rome was at times very tiring in the 33 degree hit.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not located beside the lift. We were in 427 and I suspect any -27 would be the sam...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Duke Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Duke Hotel seems to have a systematic policy of overbooking, so do not spoil your stay in Rome by booking a room at the Duke. I was invited to a meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who recommended this hotel as it is not far from the Ministry. The reservation was made a month in advance and written confirmation was received. The day of my arrival I received a confirmation email for my 2 night stay. Upon arrival at the hotel at 19h30 I learned that, due to overbooking, I was being sent to another hotel on the other side of the city where there was only one night available instead of the two I required. Any thought that it was a simple accident or misunderstanding evaporated the next day when I learned that 6 other people attending the same meeting (on fraud and corruption!) had suffered from the Duke overbooking policy. Rome is full of nice hotels offering legendary Roman hospitality. Don't take the risk of suffering through this frequent practice of overbooking, just avoid the Duke Hotel!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank Philippe M
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at the Duke hotel in Rome for one night for business and was extremely happy with the service, attention to details and the food (which was better than many of the restaurants in Rome !) the breakfast had all homeade pastries and biological marmalades, better cappuccinos than the bars in Rome and a wide selection of meats, cheeses and eggs. The price, decor and luxury accommodations were up there with any other 5 star hotel in Rome and the location is away from the tourist crowds and noise. I think it is the best value for money (relationship between quality and price) than any other hotels I have stayed at in Rome on my past trips. .. i will book this hotel again and want to share this positive feedback with anyone looking for a small family boutique hotel in a lovely location (they have a free shuttle that takes you to Piazza del Popolo in 10minutes) very convenient!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel was really nice and clean. Staff was incredibly helpful especially the bar staff. Always made you feel welcomed and were eager to help. The room was very nice, although the wifi was incredibly complicated and I had to ask reception help more than once. The hotel is quite far away from the tourist attractions, although they do have a shuttle service you can book at reception. I had been to Rome a few times so it wasn't a huge issue for me, but if you have never been to Rome and are eager to see the sites I recommend you stay closer to town where the action is. Same if you are looking for nightlife as the hotel is in a very quite residential area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Having not had a nice experience at this hotel last year, we returned this year. The Duke Hotel - as we had paid for 3 nights and left on the first night this year The Duke Hotel honoured the 2 nights we missed. Albeit, we would not return again. This is not a welcoming hotel, should you wish to use the bar you have to find staff to serve you first. The happiest face and friendliest person is the doorman/transfer driver. We spent our next 3 nights at Leonardo Di Vinci Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Nice hotel, good bar, decent breakfast choices, good food. But the most uncomfortable bed I've ever layed in ... it was like lying on a concrete floor. Both my husband and I were actually sore upon awaking in the mornings. Also, not centrally located at all. It is in more of a residential area. A plus, however, was the shuttle that ran every 15 minutes to the Plaza de Poppula (sp?).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We loved this hotel. We booked through Secret Escapes and had a superior room, this was very comfortable and clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is not walking distance from the tourist attractions but the Shuttle bus from the hotel was really useful. it took you to the Piazza Del Popolo, from which you could walk to the Colosseum in about 45 minutes, depending on time of day and heat, and also how much shopping you did on the way! or catch the Metro to Vatican Museums. The hotel was fully booked on one night but never felt full at all.

We had a lovely relaxing time, the staff were great, the waiter in the restaurant and polo lounge was really great and looked after us well. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and hope that we will go back one day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple