“Excellent location and accomodations”

Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese
Ranked #86 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Celebration, Florida
“Excellent location and accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

So our plane was delayed getting into Rome and we ended up arriving at the hotel at about 12am. To my surprise I was told that they were completely booked and did not have a room for us. I was obviously besides myself especially since my room was prepaid months before. The manager on duty was extremely apologetic, gave us a complimentary dinner, hailed and paid for a cab to the Marriott down the street and the next day gave us an upgraded room to stay in. Throughout the rest of our stay there, the staff made it a point to make sure we were comfortable and were enjoying our time there. That said, I must admit, I would definitely return to the Sofitel whenever I'm in Rome. They simply turned a bad situation, into a very positive experience. Bravo!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

I like Sofitels as a chain and the Rome version is a good example. Well-situated (not far from the Villa Borghese and the Spanish Steps) the rooms are tastefully decorated with a hint of old world charm. Unfortunately half the rooms centre on an inner courtyard, but this is not uncommon in European cities.

We stayed in a luxury room, which seemed to be twice as large as the standard rooms. It was extremely spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. Free LAN Internet. Wi-Fi free for 24 hours. Beautiful marble bathroom.

There was a problem with our room service order, but when reported it to the front desk, the order was quickly comped. There were a couple of small problems during the stay, but the staff promptly solved those that arose. The concierge was helpful in making dinner reservations (difficult in Rome in August!)

The view from the lounge/bar (La Terasse) is excellent. The food is also good in La Terasse, we lunched there on our last day.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

I booked a one-night stay for our family of three. We'd already stayed four days at Hotel Campo Di'Fiore (which we loved) and gone on a 7-day cruise before returning for a last night in Rome. From the outside, the hotel looks like an elegant palazzo. Inside, it's a blandly elegant hotel that could be in any mid- to large-size city.

The positive: Our room was vast, beautiful, and quiet with an adjacent sitting room containing a daybed for our daughter. We even had a small balcony. The bathroom was luxurious and supplied with Hermes toiletries. The bed was decadently soft with pillows you'll want to smuggle home. And if you're a fan of muscular, American-style air conditioning, you'll be thrilled. Nowhere else in Rome did I feel that familiar blast of "at the mall" cold.

The concierges were unfailingly polite and helpful.

The negative: Let's talk about location. The neighborhood is quiet but it's quiet in a deserted kind of way. I got the feeling I was in a business area as there wasn't much in the way of food shops or even stores and restaurants. It's an easy walk to the Spanish Steps, Via Veneto, and the Corso but as I soon discovered, these are my least favorite parts of Rome. If congregating with throngs of your fellow tourists is your thing and posing with someone in a gladiator costume makes your day, you'll love the Spanish Steps. And if you can't wait to compare Rome's Hard Rock Cafe with the one back home, there's one on Via Veneto. On the Corso, you can even cruise all the same designer shops you know and love and discover that the exchange rate makes their prices even that much more expensive. Soak it all in over a "tourist menu" lunch at any one of the interchangeable cafes. Me? I'll be over in the Ghetto or Trastevere with the Romans.

The breakfast buffet looked lovely but at 30E per person (that's $45 each), I wasn't buying. Drinks on the roof terrace were lovely but similarly priced. My daughter's pineapple juice was 8E ($12). At least was it fresh.

Finally, when you want help from the concierge be prepared to wait, in person. During our visit, there was always a small crowd in front of the desk. If I called from our room, I got continuous busy signals.

Summary: If you want charm, character, and an authentic immersion in Rome, stay elsewhere. (I recommend Hotel Campo Di'Fiore.) If you want your creature comforts and easy access to Prada, you could do worse than Sofitel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank prettymongoose
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Really a nice hotel, the only minus was some noise to the room from the corridor when the cleaners started in the morning .
Thank you for a nice stay in beautiful Rome................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. thanks

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

The Sofitel Villa Borgese is a really good hotel. The staff were always helpful and considerate. The room was small but perfectly adequate with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel; it was clean, well tended and the turn down service was nice. The location was OK - it was a little walk from the major sites such as the Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't mostly uphill. There are a number of restaurants near the hotel, although be aware that those on Via Veneto are very expensive, even for Rome.
Given this, I would still recommend this hotel, the room and the service were both great and it made for a very good stay in Rome.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in July. I often use Sofitel hotels and am rarely disappointed but this time I was. The best part was the breakfast quality and the friendliness of the staff there. The worst parts are the location, the room decoration which needs to be refreshed and the noise in the room. The room doors are far to be soundproof and I woke up early every morning with the noise of staff or guests talking in the corridor. From my room, I could also hear the nearby disco in the park of Villa Borghese (thursdays, fridays and saturdays!). Won't return.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband and I wanted to stay near the Spanish Steps, and the Sofitel was a wonderful choice for relaxing after busy days of shopping and sightseeing . We enjoyed the relative quietness of the immediate area, while all the shopping and tourist sites were a short walk away. The staff was consistently warm and professional during our four day stay. The breakfast offered by the hotel was amazing, fresh squeezed juices and pressed coffees for starters, while the breakfast room staff were very accomodating and the service was perfect. We tried the brand new roof top restaurant/lounge for drinks in the evening, and the service was fine, a bit slow, but the views were spectacular. Loved our time there, and hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet, on the fourth floor, looking towards the park.