“Hotel With Class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Sydney, Australia
“Hotel With Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 days. The hotel is in a quiet area near Villa Borghese and the Spanish Steps. It has a nice roof top restaurant and bar with a fabulous view over Rome. The rooms are very spacious and clean with double glass windows. Hence no noise, The bed was very comfortable and the staff are all on the ball and service is of a high level. Overall I would recommend you consider this hotel when staying in Rome. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank rquill
Sofitel_Rome, General Manager at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We are really glad to hear that you have enjoyed so much your stay at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese.

Indeed our central yet quiet location is one of our asset as well as the attentive and genuinely caring staff.

We love to indulge all of our guests and we do it in a genuine way.

We thank you for recommending Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese to your entourage!

We then look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Laurent Hudry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in August and could not have been more pleased with this hotel. Despite our early arrival, our room was ready and the checkin staff was welcoming and helpful. Our room was gorgeous with high ceilings and plenty of space. The baths were small but offered luxurious thick towels and bathrobes. I highly recommend the rooftop restaurant tasting menu. The view was spectacular. At 90 euro per person, it's not cheap but you won't be disappointed with the food or professional service.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank globetrottingjulia
Sofitel_Rome, General Manager at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear guest,

I thank you for your wonderful feedback!

The Executive Chef and I were very proud to hear that you have had a great food experience at our panoramic restaurant La Terrasse Cuisine & Lounge with breathtaking view over the 'Eternal City'!

I also thank you for pointing out our high standard of services. We genuinely look after our guests. We work with passion.

We then look forward to your next visit to Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese.

Kind regards,

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

On an absolute scale, I'd say we had about a 3.5-star stay at this hotel. I actually enjoyed it more than my wife, I think, so we averaged our opinions. I must caveat first by saying that we stayed on a pre-renovated floor. For the uninitiated: This hotel recently remodeled its upper floors so it effectively has two tiers of rooms - standard ones in a traditional / classical style and more expensive upper ones that are in a modern style and have a view over surrounding buildings into the park etc.

In any case, we were in the cheapest available room, and I was very satisfied. I don't think every room had a balcony, but we had one and I would just sit out there looking at the tree tops next door from the park - cannot see into from the 3d floor but the room was still nice. The furnishings of the rooms I thought were fine, but there were some marks of a dated hotel - holes in the bed sheets, tattered towels, etc. Very poor shower pressure. They have a nice roof terrace for drinks. So, overall, I think the quality of the hotel was somewhat like a four-star hotel, not including service points (see below)

The location of the hotel is also very nice. Plus: next to a beautiful park - Borghese - wonderful on the weekends and quiet on the weekdays. Lots of museums and gardens in the parks, fun to play with all the dogs. Also next to the spanish steps, and some great restaurants close by. Rome is a walking city so even in "hot" (it's relative - we're from Hong Kong) July, we walked to most of the landmarks from there, but if you are so inclined, the metro is right there too. It's not as close as you may like to most of the traditional landmarks, but i don't think htat's a big ding.

On service, I would say the staff were all extremely friendly, as is the same throughout Italy. And, I think it was all very genuine and well-intended. But there were a few inconsistencies that I think irked us slightly (not terribly, but more than what we would expect, and hence the lower rating).
1. We arrived early as indicated in our pre-booking notes, and so could not check in yet. That's fine. But when they offered to give us a call when our room was ready, we kind of expected they would. We gave them our number, noting that we had an international number (which they said was fine), and we went out around the city to do some things. Never got a call, and managed to come back after 3PM just to be sure to find out the room had been ready for quite some time.
2. Asked the concierge to help us make several dinner reservations over the course of a few days. Oddly, everytime we asked, they would respond by saying, "no problem, we'll let you know if that works" or something to that effect. One would expect that they'd let us know if the reservation was OK - what time we could get, or if we would need to make alternate reservations. We never heard back - both in the case where a reservation was made or one could not be made. We ended up having to go down later on our way out for dinner to check. it was like a surprise each time. I personally didn't mind that much - there are a ton of restaurants in Rome and many are very good. Just awkward to not be able to plan.
3. Minor thing - in most hotels I think there is a limit on the complimentary water in your room. You get 2 per day. Most people have to buy their own. However, at other hotels I've stayed at in Rome, if you ask nicely, the concierge or someone will swing you an extra bottle or two at least one the first day, but not here.
4. Note on wifi - free but slow. there is a faster version for $$
5. Lastly - this irked my wife the most - the last night we asked for a recommendation from the hotel for dinner because the place we wanted to go to was booked / closed - a place that was similar to the one we wanted to go - a trattoria with good local fare. So they suggested a place closeby - so we went. The place turned out to be just OK, which understanding that all things can be relative and a matter of taste, I was willing to pass up, but what was somewhat was telling was that only tourists were there. Completely only tourists. It wasn't like we were next to the pantheon or something, so we felt like we had been sent to a tourist trap. Later on, we'd search trip advisor to find a multitude of highly ranked local trattoria style and similar places that I think would have been much more apt, so it left a slighltly bad taste. that's all.

Overall though - I would still recommend this hotel, and would consider staying there again (maybe in the higher floor rooms), and just not expect too much from the staff.

Room Tip: I think we had 307 - which has a balcony (old style room). If you want a modern room with a good vie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Steve S
Sofitel_Rome, General Manager at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to post your comments.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get.

We are very happy that you were charmed by the location of our hotel, overlooking the panoramic landscape on the Eternal City with superb views on the most symbolic monuments of the city. We hope these beautiful images left you with long lasting memories!

We are also very delighted to know that you enjoyed the friendliness of the staff, the furnishings of our very comfortable bedroom as well as your experience at our panoramic bar La Terrasse Cuisine & Lounge.

We are so sorry however to hear that the concierge service was not to your full satisfaction. For this reason, we apology if any inconvenience occurred during the stay.

We would like to ensure you, anyway, that we recommend only restaurants whose reputation is renowned throughout the city for the quality of their service and of course for cooking.

Concerning internet, this service is indeed free until 512 kb.

Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you again for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel Rome Villa Bborghese.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Laurent Hudry

Again, thank you for the comments which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.
New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely hotel. Small, but well appointed rooms. Bathrooms are quite small though they have used the space well. All staff very nice, however in the three nights we were there, there is a clear lack of staff in the upstairs restaurant/bar; I would just aviod that. Shame as the views are incredible. Centrally located just a 5 minute walk to Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and many shops and resturants. 2 blocks to Harry's Bar (touristy but a classic).

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that overlook the Swiss school; seem quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank TheFreshmaker10
Dear Guest,

We thank you sincerely for your lovely comment on TripAdvisor.

We are very glad that you appreciated your stay among us and that you were very especially seduced by our services, as well as our location offering a breathtaking view on the Eternal City. Your satisfaction is our priority and we are very happy to know you spent a nice moment with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. Overlooking the Borghese Gardens, the traveler can stroll down the hill and it's 12 minutes to the Spanish Steps. The hotel itself is really pretty; lovely marble floors with spacious hallways and stairwells. My room was very charming and had a gorgeous view of the Borghese Gardens. It was spectacular. I didn't feel trapped in a hot city. I felt like I was at the top of the world. The room itself was not huge but it was nicely arranged and appointed with an elegant and appealing color scheme. It was a perfect fit for me as I was traveling solo but it would have been very good for a couple too. The toiletries and marble bath were very nice. The staff was very professional. I ordered a lot of room service and everyone was great. The food was really good and elegantly presented. All said, a very appealing ambience to this hotel giving the traveler a little breathing space from the glorious city of Rome.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a view of the Borghese Gardens.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sofitel_Rome, General Manager at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We do our utmost to enchant our guests and I am glad to hear that we have achieved our aim.

It is such a pleasure to hear how happy are our guests when they stay with us!

We were truly glad to provide you with our high level of services.

We thank you for praising Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese!

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards.

Zermatt, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Great location just at footsteps from the main attractions in the city center. If you need to park your car don't relay on the concierge service (it's really expensive) but go straight to the parking Ludovisi (cheap and just 20 meters ahead!). I'm really fond of sofitel's bedding and linens and found what I expected. Rooms are rather tiny but it's not a surprise in Rome's historical buildings. Bath amenities are among my favorite ones: Hermes Orange Verte. Nice breakfast display but expected something more: the choice is wide but not as much as in other Roman 5 star hotels. Don't miss the view from the rooftop bar, I was offered a champagne glass while waiting for my room to be ready and appreciated the welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for at higher floors facing the park (villa borghese) and the city centre
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sofitel_Rome, General Manager at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear guest,

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our central yet quiet location.

Indeed we are centrally located yet on the quiet Via Lombardia street which is an asset after a busy day of business or shopping in Rome.

We are glad to hear that once again Sofitel Luxury Hotels has achieved its goal in taking you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds. MyBed is truly unique. Did you know that you can purchase it online for your home?

We are sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and for staying with us and we hope to see you in near future.

Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Just spent 5 days at this hotel I a junior suite, very nice bathroom the food and beverage is a bit more pricy but still reasonable given the location of the hotel.

We found there to be a lack of space to unpack and store our clothe in drawers versus hangers but experienced this at Sofitel properties across Europe .

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to post your comments

We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese.

We put a lot into satisfying all of our guests and we do it in a genuine way.

We hope that we will have the great pleasure to welcome you again very soon in occasion of a new trip in the 'Eternal City'!

Best regards.