Hotel Splendide Royal
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
1,470 results
All reviewsmirabelle restaurantvia venetoborghese gardensspanish stepsbeautiful hoteljunior suitebreakfast roomharry's bartop floorsister hotelmarble bathroomfive star hotelhighly recommend this hotelst peterstrevi fountainquiet locationaround the corner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2008

We spent six wonderful nights at the Splendide, 3 with the tail end of a Tauck Tour, and the remaining 3 on our own. We were treated with the utmost respect and service, the staff going out of their way to accomodate us in every respect including cooking a special meal for us after hours at the gorgeous Mirabelle restaurant, from which there is a spendid view of all Rome from its terrace.
Breakfast in the beautiful Limonaia Room, actually an open terrace in summer, was delicious and elegant and included wonderful cheeses, assorted brioche and Roman caffe latte served hot in a glass.
The hotel is beautifully decorated in Baroque style with heavy draperies with beautiful tassels and marble baths. Towels were changed twice daily, and each night the cameriera turned down our bed and left us some candies and the weather report for the next day.
This hotel is perfectly located for the Borgese Gardens, Spanish Steps, Via Veneto, Piazza Barberini, and Fontana di Trevi, all within walking distance; yet it is in a quiet area, good for sleeping. Our room was in the rear and had absolutely no view whatsoever, the only disappointment; but it was nice and quiet for sleeping, and everything else about the hotel made up for the lack of view.
There is a sense of refinement in the hotel, therefore it is only suited for well-behaved children. We saw one couple with a baby. It is also suited for older adults and handicapped provided they are willing to use taxi service, as Rome is hilly and this hotel is on a steep hill. We did not find the public transportation that went close to the Splendide, so it was walk or take a taxi. Travelers should also know that irons in hotel rooms are not permitted in Italy, but laundry service is available at a charge and is also very quick. There is also a Mail Boxes UPS service right up the street, with very friendly personnel, for mailing packages home.
We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 22 October 2008

Recently stayed at this hotel after booking a deluxe room via Expedia. Upon arrival booking was all OK, staff OK but room was of a poor standard, definiely not 5 star as advertised. Hotel web site says "jewel of elegance" and "recently restored". They must be joking, as an experienced traveller I am very well aware that this hotel failed to live up to its advertised claims. I don't know what was recently restored, but I did not see anything that appeared remotely like it had been recently restored, simply a false claim by the hotel. What I saw was in need of restoring, this claim must be in their dreams. Just the same as the claim of being "the jewel of elegance" whatever that means, it was far from it. Poor value for money as they charge 5 star prices yet the hotel is at best a 3.5 star. Their false claims appear to have been made to justify their high prices. There are many other very good hotels close by, my recommedation go to one of those. Avoid this hotel.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank jacko582
Totti5, Management Office at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2008

Dear Guest,
we have read with attention your negative comment on your stay and first of all we apologize if we did not meet your expectation and satisfaction during your stay with us.
However since your comment describe essentially a generic impression without any detail we would like to point out some considerations: The Splendide is describe by you as "a poor value and need restoration" but the Hotel has been inaugurated in 2001 completely renovated as the building was not a Hotel before but an antique monastery. Following once a year we redone all the paintings in the rooms and all the public areas, the marble in the bathrooms are polished every three years, the hotel staff include 3 maintenance persons that verify efficiency of the technology: since the opening we have change the lighting system, the electronic keys, all TV set with Flat LCD , telephone in all rooms etc.
Perhaps your expectation was for a contemporary style place instead of a typical Baroque style which could appear to some guest old fashion.
We thank you anyway for the preference expressed and for the attention you have reserved to the Splendide.
Best regards.
The Management Staff

Reviewed 19 October 2008

This hotel is rated 5 star deluxe which it is not. It is in need of urgent renovation in both the breakfast restaurant and the rooms.
the staff where very friendly and helpful.their restaurant mirabelle is the best part of the hotel although its overpriced.

1  Thank roamantic
Reviewed 18 October 2008

Stayed there for 2 nights. Our room was beyond quite and blackout dark at night. The concierge went out of his way to be helpful. They have a 1 Michelin star restaurant on the top level, which was great. You must go to the bar on the balcony for a drink at sunset for one of the best views in Rome. It is a few blocks from shopping on the Via Veneto and also from the Spanish Steps. However, it is on a much quieter street. The breakfast buffet included in our room rate was quite expansive and good. We would definitely return.

Reviewed 16 October 2008

I'm not going to write a long review here as everything about the stay was good (particularly the breakfast which was delicious and I agree with the previous reviewer that you want to avoid the middle seats) except for one thing which I will warn you about.....

There are no irons and ironing boards in the hotel, which is explained in the hotel manual to be found in the room. As is typically the case, the Italian translation into English is a little wayward and it says that you can use the hotel laundering service to get your clothes pressed "against payment". I couldn't work out exactly what this meant (it could have gone either way) so I walked and asked the concierge. He told me it was a free service.

When I received my clothes back I was presented with a bill for €42, which I of course queried. I was told that I must have misunderstood the other concierge (which I hadn't as I had been sure to get his response in very plain English to be safe) and was told that I HAD to pay it. Very poor service for an otherwise good hotel and something that mildly tarred the stay which my girlfriend had got me for my 30th and which had cost in excess of €2,000.

But overall, I would recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Neil B