“2 Night stay in Rome”
Review of Astoria Garden

Astoria Garden
Ranked #382 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 February 2014

First off I will say, the staff was wonderful and very friendly and helpful!! The breakfast was also very good! I enjoyed the old-world charm and quaintness of this hotel. It had a pretty courtyard area. The downside is the rooms are very tiny and the beds are hard as a rock!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca V

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I spent 9 nights at this very charming, old-worldly elegant, boutique hotel. The staff, along with the owner, Francesco, treated us graciously. Everyone is extremely courteous and helpful, taking great care to attend to guests' needs. The atmosphere is warm, inviting, and cozy. There is a comfortable sitting area with newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal, and books in several languages. The lovely bar overlooks a delightful courtyard garden where we enjoyed a coffee and a Sambuca served by the owner.

Our pleasant room with a door opening onto a balcony overlooked the courtyard garden. A spotlessly clean bathroom where all worked perfectly with plenty of hot water enhanced our stay.

The breakfast is yummy! The breads, salami, cheese, ham, hard-boiled eggs, pastries, breakfast cakes, cereals, juice, and all the condiments one can imagine is a bonus that I especially enjoyed. When the weather permits, it must be wonderful to enjoy dining in the courtyard garden.

The convenient location definitely is a plus, close to Termini station and with wonderful restaurants within walking distance. Our two favorites are Meid in Nepols and Babbo's.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the garden is always nice!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PegandHarold
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed in the Astoria Garden Hotel for 3 nights during December 2013 during a vacation trip in Milan and Rome. The Hotel itself is small, warm and friendly, with small rooms but pretty decent beds and bathrooms. The staff is very friendly, and always willing to help. There is a patio good for some reading, and a small "restaurant" area were breakfast is served. The "Termini" metro, train and bus station is 4 blocks away, which makes it very convenient. There are several restaurants just around the block. This is a good base point to visit all the attractions that Rome has to offer. Would recommend for travelers in look for a good priced hotel where they can have a nice night sleep.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I just have to thank the following employees at the Astoria Garden Hotel: Ulrich, Lorenzo, Franco, Paulo, and Sirio.

When we arrived in Rome, my sister was very sick. The hotel asked if they could call a doctor to come see her. (OK, wait, doctors make housecalls? Toto, I know we're not in Kansas - (actually Houston) anymore!)
He diagnosed her with the flu. He wrote her a prescription and Franco walked me the couple of blocks to the doorstep of the Farmacia.

*The hotel itself is quaint on a quiet street.
*A few blocks from Termini Station.
*The rooms were the equivalent to a Howard Johnson's here in the States.
*Very clean!
*Beds-not so comfortable, but good enough.
*Hair dryers and shower worked.
Very strange, you open the door with an actual key, but on the same keychain is what looks like a room key, but you actually have to insert it into a box on the wall for the electricity to come on.
*Breakfast consists of coffee, juices, cereal, pastries, boiled eggs and cold cuts (salami, ham, cheese), croissants, etc.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet with a great view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Amy T
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I chose this hotel to the close proximity to the train and bus station and its direct link to the airport. This worked very well travelling with older family members and it was central to the city of Rome. My husband and I, as well as my Mum and Dad were allotted two of the garden rooms with our very own patio. My Auntie was given a small single room at the front of the hotel. Front desk was always happy to help with our questions and all other members of staff were friendly, happy and accommodating with all our requests. WiFi at this hotel is free, you just go and ask at the front desk, where they give you the password and username. Rooms were cleaned daily, breakfast was fine, standard European selection. Plenty of places to eat in the centre of Rome after visiting your main attractions, during the day. Really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter. Front hotel rooms face a school.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie S S
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights in this lovely hotel near the train station. I spent a lot of time trying to find a decent hotel near the train station that was less than $200 US dollars per night. I booked this hotel direct based on Trip Advisor reviews. I was a little leary of the location as I had heard the area northeast of the train station was a little seedy. I was pleasantly surprised by the area. My husband and I are an elderly couple and felt completely safe in the neighborhood. When we arrived the young man at the front desk was very helpful giving us recommendations on busses to take to the various sights in Rome. He called the Borghese Gallery to make a reservation for us and called to make a reservation for a restaurant owned by some friends of a friend from the US. They also called the restaurant when we had to cancel our reservation due to a demonstarion going on that closed the streets and access to public transporation. Our friend had sent a gift with us to give the the restaurant owner and since we were unable to make it to the restaurant, the front desk called and kept the gift for them to pick up. We had a lovely room on the first floor facing the garden with a small patio. Since I booked directly through the hotel, we had free WIFI. However, we were unable to access it in our room. Not a problem as we were able to access from the patio and the lovely lobby area. Contrary to other reviews, we found the breakfast plentiful with a good choice of cereal, pastries, hard boiled eggs, ham, cheese and juice. There was also a coffee machine that you could choose a variety of coffees such as cappucino or regular coffee. I would highly recommend this hotel for its value and location to the train station, metro and bus station and the helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen N
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel has a great location, very central. Our tour ended in Rome and we were heading to Amalfi for one night. We didn't want to log around our suitcases, so we asked if we could leave our bags over night at the hotel and they happily let us. This was a great help and added to the wonderful customer service. Front desk was always ready to help with our questions and they threw in wifi at no cost. Rooms were clean, breakfast was fine. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends