“You might be luckier”
Review of Hotel Gallia

Hotel Gallia
Ranked #699 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I booked a room here through Expedia for my family -2 adults and 2 children - for a one night stopover in Rome at end of two weeks in Puglia. Chosen for proximity to termini and colosseum and these were the best bits about the experience. Staff were aloof but helpful enough, breakfast adequate on a roof terrace with a view. Room had a faded elegance and was shabby - my children who are less discerning thought it rather posh!

Be warned though. We turned up to find the hotel had no record of my booking for my children and had given us a standard double. I had evidence that I had booked for us all and they eventually after some silly antics put a single bed - just one - in our room for both my children to use (aged 6 & 8) and charged us an extra €25. The extra bed was atrocious - more like a hammock.

Good thing it happened at the end of our holiday - we were very relaxed - and we refused to let it spoil our time in Rome.

The hotel blamed Expedia and when I tried to claim back the €25 from Expedia they blamed some faceless booking system. Typical!

So, in all honesty I can't recommend the hotel but if you are an optimist then you can probably accept that we were just very unlucky! I certainly would advise against going anywhere near Expedia's website.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank familytravels45

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed here for one night. Good sized room, very spacious and facing the magnificent Santa Maria Maggiore church. It's about 7 mins walk from Termini station. Breakfast up on the terrace was good and loved the view. Nothing to complain about, maybe we didn't stay long enough...

1  Thank Noisette2010
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Please do not carry American expectations to the Old World. You will be disappointed everytime. If something is not what you expect, address it with staff and they will make every accomodation. This hotel was one of those hotels. You should expect it to be expensive. They all are. Most hotels in Rome are tourist and not business oriented and that is particularly the case in Hotel Gallia's case. It had several plusses on my July trip to Rome with my adult son. First, LOCATION. It was in the middle of everything except the Vatican. A healthy person can walk to litteraly dozens of restraunts, cafe's and museums. Directly across the street is a the Papal Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, complete with a pope's crypt.
Our room was basic but worn, as was much of the hotel. The beds were fairly comfortable, but after walking all day, I had no trouble getting a restful nights sleep. All appliances in the room worked and free WiFi was offered, it was not very strong on the fourth floor room that we were in.
The european style breakfast offered was fresh, tasty and the coffe was exceptional. A variety of meats, cheeses, pastries, fruit, cereals and yogarts were available. The service was excellent and the young lady handling the terrace breakfast room was extremely polite. My highest praise went to the staff who made us feel welcomed our entire visit.
The downside. Be aware that there are hidden costs associated with all hotel stays in Italy, and other european countries for that matter. They are "Check Out" fees and consist of a few euro per night per guest and are determined by the locale. They must be paid in cash.
One tip, avoid the cafe on the corner, it is a rip off. the quality is poor and you will be disappointed. We were exhausted after traveling all day and night from the US and were hungry when we got to the hotel. We didn't bother to ask the desk about the cafe and just went there for a light lunch. 48 euro later (about $65) I realized that my Irish mother could have done a better job of cooking pasta and gravy. The First Rule, always ask the locals. We were never disappointed during our two week stay in Italy when we asked.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dadmomand2
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

My partner and I booked a 4 night stay in what was supposedly a 4 star hotel.. The room was old, shabby with stains on the carpet and bits of the skirting boards were cut away .The AC was so old and noisy we couldn't have it on through the night. When we arrived I sat on the bed and went straight through it ( I weigh 10 stone) when we lifted the mattress the bars were missing.. We were extremely disappointed given what we had paid. To be fair to the manager he offered us another room but the others offered were very tiny and one had a sewage smell in it, so we stayed put and he sent someone up to fix the bed. Breakfast was basic and underwhelming although the staff member was very helpful. The rooftop terrace and location were the only positive points of this hotel. Location wise it was superb right in the middle of rome and a 5 min walk from the colosseum, and termini station. Luckily we didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel but if you're looking for a nice hotel to spend time/ relax in this is not it.. It's a shame as the staff were pleasant and seemed used to people complaining. Would not recommend for price

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank NBowden2014
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in Rome, we went with our son and his wife we both had very large bedrooms and the a/c worked well the whole hotel could do with updating, but the position is great.Most of the sights are in walking distance and it is very convenient for trains and coaches for the airport.
The breakfast up on the roof terrace was good and the staff seemed very helpful, would certainly stay there again if in Rome

Room Tip: rooms 208 or 308 both on the corner over looking square
1  Thank Bri T
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Hotel is good location for all tourist sights of Rome, with bus, rail very close and hop on/off bus stops just around the corner. Roof terrace breakfast is nice touch , bearing in Monday breakfast is continental only but adequate. Although we booked (as a couple) a room for three people assuming we would have more space, this we found out is what the hotel call a standard double room, unfortunately this was very small, with one bedside cupboard , and wardrobe although adequate space, one door could not be opened due to the positioning of the bedside cabinet, the other side of the double bed was 8 inches from the wall , and maybe now you can realise what I mean by a small room. The bathroom again was adequate , reasonable sized sink, with bidet and toilet , and small shower cubicle. This room 310, was extremely hot even with air conditioning on, and actually very dark. Other rooms looked a lot more spacious as we saw on the way through each morning , but these were at an extra cost. This wasn't a cheap hotel or break , so you do need to consider , although you are out most of the day and evening on this type of break, are you happy to compromise on space and temperature comfort.

Room Tip: Do not settle for standard room , these are mo like a single with a double bed in!!
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The only positive aspect of this hotel is its location and the patio were the breakfast is served in the summer. We were greeted by the reception who informed us that our reservation was not according to the confirmation I had with me, therefore we were suppose to pay much more than we booked for OR we were very welcome to book ourselves at Another hotel. We tried to get into an agreement, but the manager had given orders over the phone to the receptionist that, either we pay or we could leave. That is what I call service. Four star? I do not Think so. The hotel is dated and in need of renovation. The room we stayed in eventually after two hours of discussion, was dated and one could hear the noises from the corridor and from the street like there were no walls or doors... Breakfast was simple, but ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family