“Nice hotel, transport to the city can be a pain”

Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park
Ranked #252 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I stayed in late June with my wife and two kids (9 and 11 years), using Marriott points, for 6 nights. We reserved two rooms, and the hotel accommodated our request for the rooms to be connected (door between the rooms).

The room was nice, with wood floors, and was very clean. We did not have a balcony, but I believe this was due to my request for the connecting rooms. We had problems with the air conditioning in both rooms, but they were quickly fixed by the staff.

We ate only one meal at the restaurant (and even then just from the bar menu). Food was good, and we did get an occasional bottle of wine for the room. The wine was priced similarly to (or even a little less than) a restaurant in the city.

There is a grocery store across the street from Gemelli station, although I was never able to catch it open.

The big (and really only) issue I had with the hotel is the location. Yes, what other people have written is true. It's not hard to get there on public transport, and the shuttle bus does run hourly (on the hour into the city, and on the half hour back to the hotel). What we found, though, was that the bus filled to capacity on almost every one of our trips (it's a 16 person bus). If you don't get there early, you get turned away. Also, the regional transport lines don't run that frequently on the weekends, and you can end up waiting for those if you go that way. In the end, it felt like we planned around the bus schedule. It would have been nice to stay closer in to the city to allow easy access to the hotel.

One other minor thing - a couple of times I needed to speak to someone at the front desk before leaving for the day. The wait in the lobby was 10-15 minutes easily, as they only had two people working most days, and there are always lots of foreign travelers (like myself) trying to check in early. More staff would have helped!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JimSoup

Reviewed 2 July 2009

Stay in this hotel for three nights. Location a bit far but acceptable, however hotel do provide free shuttle bus from hotel to the metro station near Vatican city.

Our room on the top of the floor, nice, clean and with very nice veiw. The restaurant at 1st floor was very nice taste and the service also excellent. i should say the restaurant really value for money.

1  Thank richle
Reviewed 30 June 2009

First of all, I want to address the location. It doesn't matter if it's the most amazing hotel in all of Italy if it's too far from the sights. We only used public transportation (i.e. regional trains, subways), and I felt it was totally reasonable. Rome's subway system is very effecient with frequent trains and signs indicating how long your wait will be. We never had to wait more than five minutes. You get off the A line at Valle Aurelia, take a short walk over to the train station, and hop on the northbound train. You go three stops and get off at Gemelli, and the hotel is less than a five minute walk away. The problem is that the regional train doesn't run as often as it should. And the train stations in Rome do not do a very good job of indicating which train comes when. We even almost got on a train that was going the right direction, but for some reason it was not stopping at the Gemelli station. If you caught the right trains at the right times, it could be a 15 minute trip to the heart of Rome. But if you don't, it could take a good hour. I felt it was a reasonable gamble considering the cheap tickets (1E one journey, but 4E for an all day pass - my recommendation). My husband found it tiring and often ridiculous.

The hotel itself is very nice. As most travelers from the USA will, we arrived long before check in. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. We were able to get into a room at 10am. It was large, with beautiful wood floors, a balcony (which I was not expecting), a comfortable bed, and a very nice bathroom. It was recently aquired by Marriott and they've been doing improvements. I understand it is scheduled to be called a Courtyard, but I felt it was much nicer than your average Courtyard hotel room. I did not see Marriott on anything in the entire hotel, so they must not be in a hurry to make the transition.

Overall, I felt it was a good value. We had a promotional rate of 110E per night. It was very nice, clean, and comfortable. It is further from the sights, but anything closer is outrageously priced. It's not hard to get to central Rome, it just could take some time depending on the trains. If you're flexible and don't mind waiting at train stations, then this is a great budget option for Rome.

1  Thank c_happyplaces
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My wife and I spent four nights (June18-21) and had a very comfortable stay. Initially, we were intimidated with the transportation options but once we tried the free shuttle and/or the local commuter train it was very convenient to get into the center of Rome. We found the front desk, especially Kristofersen, very helpful in laying out the options for finding the main tourist sites and how to walk around the city. The room was very modern and recently renovated and based on what we heard the hotel should be up to Marriott standards within a couple of months (mostly has to do with finishing exterior appearance). We enjoyed the main restaurant as they were serving outside and the weather was very cooperative. The grill was a major plus and the meals were served very professionally. The local restaurant that was recommended by the front desk was very enjoyable and reasonably priced. The only downside was that the free shuttle filled up quickly and there is only one van available. A couple of times we had to take a short walk to the commuter train which arrives about every 15-20 minutes. The cost is one euro and it is very convenient to transfer to the metro system (at no extra charge).

2  Thank Arnie512
Reviewed 18 May 2009

This is the perfect modern American hotel, yet w/ European flair. We visited Rome in April and wanted the comforts of home (modern hotel, bathroom, etc). This hotel was extremely clean, comfortable and a quiet oasis in a large city. It is NOT in the heart of Rome. The shuttle leaves every 30 minutes and take approx. 15 mins to arrive at a location very close to the vatican & metro station. We NEVER had a problem catching the shuttle, though I did read in the summer it can be full. We had a suite room w/ a seperate bedroom and we're extremely satisfied. The restaurant on-site was not great, but there are local restaurants a few blocks away. It is in a quiet residential area, but still with an urban feel. I highly recommend this hotel if you want a more modern hotel, but are willing to travel (slightly) to be in the heart of Rome.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank NormalNancy
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel for four days to tour Rome on my own. Very good hotel in most respects. Only major negative is location. At least 45 minutes to city center by public transportation. As routed by the ATAC website, I took Bus 994 to the metro station (Baldo degli Ubaldi) and then took the metro into the center. To reach the hotel from the Rome airport, I found it easiest to take the FM1 train from FCO (NOT the Leonardo Express) to Trastevere, then transfer to the FM3 train to Gemelli station, then a short walk to the hotel. Buses, metro and light rail often were very crowded with limited or no service after about 10 p.m. Hotel also operates a limited shuttle, If you are comfortable using public transport, this hotel can be a good value with some flexibility. Otherwise, you might prefer to stay in a more central location.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This is a beautiful Hotel with an even more beautiful view of Rome looking down on St. Peters Church. The hotel is beautiful, clean, quiet, rooms were perfectly cleaned. I'm an OCD freak and I even slept on the sheets, so I didn't have to break out the spare sheets I had brought from home (very rare for me). This was my second trip to Rome in less than a years time. The first time I was downtown in the city center so I must say this hotel is further than the 3 miles advertised on the website. The hotel does offer a free shuttle from 9 a.m to 9 p.m It runs on the hour and half hour dropping off and picking up near the Vatican, the location is perfect for getting around to the rest of the city however you choose. Our stay included breakfast ,which was great and dinner. Typical Roman 3 course meal and dessert it even included wine.

If your stay does not include meals there is a great little restaurant within walking distance that the hotel staff will recommend, to purchase the hotel dinner is not cheap. They are open for lunch and dinner. Take the house wine when dining here, it is 3Euro and Fabulous. Hotel staff very helpful, not including Christopher, he made a mistake on our stay including our meals and the first night we had to find someplace to eat on our own, the next morning the rest of the staff checked on this and corrected it. It would have been nice for Christopher to at least apologize. Other than that this really is a good hotel if you don't mind being a little further away.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends