“Romantic poets”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$117.36*
and up
Rome Uncovered: A Fully Private Walking Tour...
Ranked #122 of 1,994 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as Casina Rosa, this small museum is devoted to the authors' works and memorabilia.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My partner likes Byron and so we made the trip to this former lodging of his contemporary John Keats, who died tragically young. My own knowledge of the romantic poets is not so good and so I found the exhibits and information very interesting indeed. There is an excellent introductory film before you go up to the museum and everything is very well labelled and explained. As well as Keats, you will learn about Shelley and his wife Mary, Lord Byron and his lovers, Leigh Hunt and Severn, who was with Keats when he died. The staff were pleasant and unobtrusive - we visited in the morning. All in all, a very interesting place right on the Spanish Steps.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"exhibits"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The museum closes at 6pm and i so happen to have stumbled upon the museum at 5:29pm. The clerk said they only recommend a half hour anyway, so I made it in time; however they close at 6pm. I said ok that's fine. It's 5 euro which was worth it. Except it was hard to fully enjoy the museum on my own. It started with the clerk telling me that I can watch the movie on you tube so go upstairs to the museum. Then you have to show your ticket to a girl upstairs and she mentioned to me the museum closes at 6pm. (Yes I am aware!) and then another staff member saw me taking pictures of the literature describing pictures and people, and he said that he can actually email me the literature to read. Then the girl who took my ticket reminded me at 5:50 that the museum closes in 10 minutes. Wow. And then I just felt like I was doing something wrong by being there, like I was being watched by them. I did not appreciate being rushed out of there and I think they are way too serious about this place. I'm just there to check out the former flat of 2 poets from the 1800s. Why are there is many staff members there disturbing my time there? T

KeatsShelleyHouse, Manager at Keats-Shelley House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

We are very sorry that you felt your visit was more rushed than you'd have liked it to be been. We can only seek to assure you that our members of staff informed you of our closing time in order for you to make the most of your time here, which is why you were probably advised to skip watching the introductory film and go straight to the museum in order to see as much as possible. The member of staff who offered to send you images of our labels only did so because he could see you were so interested in them and wished to be of further help. But we are very sorry that you felt this to be intrusive and do hope that you'll be to visit some other time when you come back to Rome in order to spend more time here at your own leisure.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely visit to the Keats-Shelly House. Great to get in from the hussle and bussle of the Spainish steps. If you have an interest in literature and poetry a lovely visit to do. We went to the Protestant graveyard first- to see the graves of Keats and Shelley- also worth a visit! The staff are so friendly and really knowledgable. Lovely terrace to sit and look out on the steps!

1  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After spending the morning at the Protestant cemetery, where Keats is buried, we went to this lovely house where he died. What a treat. Staff were helpful and knowledgeable; exhibits were compelling. The house was closed when we were last here 12 years ago and we were thrilled to see it this trip. The cool and protected terrace right next to the Spanish Steps was a bonus and a welcome respite from the hordes.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We last visited this house twenty years ago, and our perspective has changed in that time so that we gained far more from this visit than previously. When looking at the exhibits you could easily be within a house in a UK county town. Therefore it does seem strange that, from this quiet setting, you look out of the window and see throngs of lively tourists on The Spanish Steps. However, within the house, the tragic story of it's residents does weave a spell and it is easy to spend an hour following the historic background. The detailed story of each of the residents is well documented and easy to follow. The staff are keen and committed to their work and there is clearly a lively educational and social programme in place. Long may it thrive.

1  Thank bsandrs

Been to Keats-Shelley House? Share your experiences!