“neat & aiming at perfection”

Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's
Ranked #194 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Bangkok, Thailand
“neat & aiming at perfection”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

It is a hotel priced high in accordance with european standard. On the other hand, the room is quite neat and aiming at keeping everything as perfect as possible. In all the rate was commensurate with its quality.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear prasast,

Thank you for your review and to have chosen for Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s!

I am very happy to read your appreciation about the room and learn that in all we met your expectations.

It is our goal to consistently provide customer satisfaction and your comments are very important to us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza St. Peter’s on your next visit to Rome!

With Kind regards,
Davide Grilli, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We traveled to rome in early may with my two children ages 5 and 1 and another adult couple.
The hotel is situated roughly 15-20km from the centre (trevi fountain). Shuttle services are organised by teh hotel on the hour and are fairly efficient and extremely cost effective. On average a single taxi ride will cost 15 Euro to the vatican, 20 Euro to the colosseum and 50 Euros to Ciampino airport. (taxi drivers will try and pocket the change or ask for more with random excuses like "buggy tax 2Euro" so just carry the correct change).
While we were there it rained for two days straight; and then was not particularly warm; so when we asked if the children could use the indoor pool (they like to call it a spa- but its just an indoor pool), reception declined. Considering the weather was horrendous, you would expect a hotel which is known to have a high level of customer service to make allowances.
Breakfast was not upto 4 star level; there were very few choices for vegetarians and no barista coffees; if you want a capaccino there was a nescafe machine!
Lunch in the hotel restaurant is over priced and quite honestly disgusting! 6 Euros for a portion of fries! need I say more. The highlight of our trip was actually the restaurant next door to the hotel (open after 7pm) It was full of locals and the food was magnificent.
The rooms had lovely comfy beds; each room had a balcony (view of parking lot); but the room had a stale stench and no free wifi.
Overall an overpriced hotel; I would have been better off staying closer to termini station and avoiding taxi fares!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tes1982
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Tes1982,

thank you very much for your feedback, in which you drew our attention to your experience
at the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's.

We are very sorry that your stay did not live up to expectations.

To begin with may I take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while being our guest.

Regarding the location allow me to put on record that the hotel is only 3km far from St. Peter’s Square and 6Km from Trevi fountain. As all the city around the world attractions are not all in the same place and even in Rome Coliseum, St. Peter’s, Spanish steps are between 3/6 km far from each other.

We wish to inform all our guests that everything, including reservations rules, restrictions, children policy, location (use google map or google hearth), is clearly and fully stated on our and any other reservation websites. We heartily recommend our guests to read it carefully to avoid unpleasant surprises!

I do wish to address one specific point made which concerns the use of the indoor pool. The reason why children under 16 years of age are not permitted in the indoor pool, is because this pool forms part of the relaxing environment of the Roman spa, where visitors are able to relax and de-stress in the tranquil and quiet setting. Anyway, I can ensure you children are here more than welcomed. The hotel provides family rooms, outside kids pool (open from May to September), playground, restaurant with kids menu.

Please rest assured that we will review your comments and take any action we feel is required.

I very much hope that we can yet encourage you to stay with us again so I can put your above concerns to rest.

With Kind regards,
Charlotte, NC area
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Clean with decent amenities. Restaurant was OK. Ate lunch here on day 1 since nothing in immediate vacinity of hotel open during day. ONly people in there at nootime. Most of area around are residential and business and it's no less than 15 minute brisk walk to a fast food place. Lots of congested roads to cross and up hill. At dinner however, a great restaurant right next door - Ristorante Arturo all'Antica Aurelia. We had wonderful dinner at best price in Rome after finding nothing in the nearby commercial area where subway lets off. Need to have good bus route info to navigate the various old town locations & back. Bus to subway much easier. The hotel bus goes only AM to certain sites then PM to others. Only convenient if it fits your plans. Coming back at night on hotel shuttle is 45 minutes. All this to say, this hotel is a time commitment. If your stay is long it can work but if just a few days, the time/money proposition may be worth something close to attractions. And the hassle over free wifi for IHG members is tacky. Most places give at least 1 hour free wifi to guests, so why hold out over this basic amenity.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank YukonCornelius98
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear YukonCornelius98,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay.

We are very happy to hear that you found our Hotel good and that we met your expectations.

The Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter’s is an urban resort featuring facilities that of course you won’t be able to find in a more central location such as gardens, 25m length swimming pool, pool bar, Spa, tennis courts, large comfortable bedrooms and extensive free parking facilities.

We are sorry to read your disappointment about free internet service. Allow me to put on record that we provide 30 minutes Wi-Fi free in our business center and by the bar with our “surf and drink offer” that includes 30 minutes Wi-Fi free. As you mentioned we offer free Wi-Fi to our Elite members and starting from July 2014 we will be more than happy to include this benefit even for the club level, it means everyone join Ihg Rewards Club.

Kind regards,
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was on points, so no complaints,
Young Gal at reception was very helpful ,
Gave me room at 8 :30 am after very long
Flight, helpful and Cheery, Sincere

Concierge , Bellmen, Waiters all greatly
Patient and helpful willingly, Room size
Good for Europe , But No Real US Tv !,
Check in . Checkout Easy
efficient professional , well done,
Breakfast Served well @ easy , but food just fair,
Location 20 Euro each way
To Trevi fountain Everytime..
Arturos Ristorante next door
Very very good food, service eh.

Room Tip: views of the pool were nice , I prefer higher Floors, The suite was a nice upgrade, No champagne...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Harvey R
Dear Harvey R,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted to hear that we met your expectations and learn your appreciation about our Hotel, facilities, good food and staff.

Your advice and suggestions will be of great help for future guests in order to get more familiar with location, connections and our facilities.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza St. Peter’s on your next visit to Rome!

With kind regards,
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have stayed in the Crowne Plaza, Rome on many occasions now, my last visit was September 2013, and I will be returning next week. Each visit just strengthens my opinion of the place, and in particular the staff. They really cannot do enough to make your stay any better.

From the first moment I arrived last year the welcome was fantastic. I had many enjoyable nights with the team and other guests in the hotel bar.

Last year I wrote a detailed review based on my previous stays, I won't do the same this time around. My previous review can be found at:

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the pool area get most of the sun
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear CalumBMcLean,

Thank you for your wonderful review and to keep on choosing the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter for your stay in Rome!

I am delighted to read such a gleaming report about our Hotel, staff and facilities.
All the team here try their hardest to make "a home away from home."

The feedback we receive from experienced and valued guests like yourself, enables us to keep up the good work.

I have passed on your kind words to all the team here at the hotel and I hope you will continue to join us again in the near future (see you next week) for more of our excellent service that we pride ourselves in delivering to our guests.

Kind regards and with renewed thanks,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I read disparaging comments about this nice property & I want to give opinions about my stay during the weekend of the Papal Canonizations held in April. One will not find a hotel with an elevator or lift closer to St. Peter's Square. This property is modern & closest to the square than any other. Yes, we did not use the hotel shuttle running because we chose not to. They were running. The City decides when and where shuttles, taxis drop off and pick up because many streets are closed to accommodate safe transportation for visiting dignitaries. The Vatican has extreme power over the city and transportation systems - they have the final say, not the hotel personnel. This was explained to us upon arrival on Friday on a direct flight from America. The streets are narrow and I did see people pulling luggage along the narrow streets, by choice! The hotel had a parking lot reserved for taxis, a taxi stand if you will so visitors can take a taxi by choice, 24/7. This was important for me for safety reasons. I can talk because within the first 24 hours of my visit, I got pick pocketed at the nearest Metro station. I did not want to take public transportation for this very reason but chose to, my choice, my bad. All the little bastardo got was my business card holder that held the bus ticket, which i pulled out so he didn't get that but my Fast Park ticket and business cards. I took a walking stick the rest of the days to keep thieves at a distance. Enough on the most important topic of transportation. The food served at breakfast is excellent! For $17 US, the buffet is exquisite. The staff is top notch. The dinner we had was perfect. The piano music came through the door from the lounge. Bravo. The food is prepared on site and is high quality. The elevators worked fine, however, I was on the floor above the lobby. A priest got in on the elevator before me and my wife and daughter and hit the 0 button which closed the door on me. With my brute strength, I was able to hold the door open while daughter hit the down button. The priest didn't care. Perhaps he was a pick pocketer dressed as a priest. People doing public transportation look out for you too. I almost fell off the bus and people jumped to help me. haha After walking ten miles a day, the lift or elevator at the hotel was a god send. The rooms were loud sure but it was at full occupancy. People were enthusiastic for the papal celebration, mostly Americans! Take the Florida group for instance, they were on a pilgrimage with their bishop. A lively group indeed. The rooms were extremely clean, something I hold in high regard. The tub/shower was elevated so it wasnt easy to get in and out. After walking ten miles a day, my legs were sore so it was a safety issue for me too. If there was a riot, the property had a high wall around it and iron solid gates they could close to keep the bandits out. Our room had a huge patio enough to entertain two dozen. The grounds offered a variety of flowers. I love flowers. I'm the guy who ordered quattro espressos at breakfast. Its important to attempt to speak Italian anywhere you are in Italy, they locals like that. Sure, they spoke English.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank dancinGoats
Dear dancinGoats,

Thank you for your 5-star review and to have chosen for Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s!
I am delighted to read such a gleaming report of our Hotel, facilities and staff.

I am terribly sorry to read the bad experience and problems encountered with pick pocket near the metro.

Having read your comments I can imagine your frustration facing similar accidents.

I have shared your review with my whole team. We are very much grateful for your compliments!

The feedback we receive from valued guests like yourself, enables us to keep up the good work.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and we hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

With Best regards,
vienna
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Lovely hotel, very clean, family rooms are very large. Lots of restaurants nearby, 15 minutes from the city, the swimming pool is fantastic, my girls loved it! Would go back again! We did loads of sight seeing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KDVienna
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear KDVienna,

Thank you for your review and to have chosen our Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s!

We appreciate the fact that you loved our Hotel especially designed for family (as you mentioned we provide either rooms with 2 double beds suitable for a family of 4 people sharing the same room or connecting rooms) the fantastic pool (with kids pool) now open!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

With best regards,