“Mixed Views”

Ranked #188 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Whittlesey, United Kingdom
“Mixed Views”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have mixed views regarding this hotel, the room was very clean and tidy and the balconys overlooking the pool was fantastic, the problem seems to come when you look at the hotel pricing structure. i will use an easy example, for a coca cola can, room service price 6.50 euros £5.32 per can !!!!!!!, lounge bar 6.00 euros, Pool Bar 4.00 euros. but you can buy them from a local shop for 1.50euros, this is a ridiculouse price increase and think all prices should be the same throughout the hotel for products very confusing to customers. This is reflected in all pricing accross the board. The pool is very cold but this is a releif on a very hot day and there is plenty of room around the pool for a sun bed. When arriving in Italy we could not wait to try a Pizza in Italy the home of the pizza, How dissapointing nin the hotel we ordered a pizza and it was just dough and tomato no cheese hardly very dissapointing, try and visit the pizzerias in the city much better. It is very good for a base to explore rome and eat in roome although i would not recommend using the hotel for your food and beverage needs.

Room Tip: ask for a pool view room on the top floor very good views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 94tosss
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Tony D,

Thank you for your feedback in which you drew my attention to your experience while guest at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's.

We are glad to read that the room was clean, tidy with nice view.

On the other hand we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding food and prices. We have discussed the points you have raised with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. We know they share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible, and we are confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.

Regarding prices, allow me to put on record that they are comparable to all 4 stars superior Bar & Restaurants in Rome and Continental Europe. The difference between outlets depends on the service provided. In the bar we include for free 3 different types of snacks for each drink and every evening you can enjoy live piano. By the pool the service is more informal. For your safety glasses are not provided and we use plastic items.

Enjoying our food and beverage offer whilst staying at the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s is very much part of the overall experience so we will continue to work hard.

With best regards,
Davide Grilli General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We didn't know where to start when booking a hotel for Rome, but this proved to be a good base for launching expeditions into the City. Although a short drive out of the centre, this means that the hotel has space, and the pool area was a relaxing refuge from the bustle of the tourist spots. There are shuttle buses to and fro the city centre at set times, and taxi is an alternative for about 12EUR on the meter. The room was comfortable and clean, restaurant fine. We would choose this hotel again, stay a few nights and spread our time between the pool and the sights.

1 Thank BreezyBF4
Dear BreezyBF4,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your positive feedback on your recent stay and to have chosen our Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s.

We are very glad to know that we met your expectations an learn your appreciation about our hotel, cleanliness, comfort and facilities.

Your advice and suggestions will be of great help for future guests in order to get more familiar with location, connections and our facilities.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.

With Best Regards,
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My family stayed at the Crown Plaza on July 13 for 5 nights and 4 days. Upon first arrival it appeared to be ok and never really got much better than that. I rented 2 rooms for 6 people with points (my husband is a member of their rewards program) We arrived earlier than check in(1:30) and the person behind the counter graciously wanted to get us into our rooms as early as possible as well as get us two side by side (adjoining) We went into the bar where the servers were somewhat busy and totally rude. I could have run the bar and served the guests my self because including my party of 6 there must have been 20-25 people for 2-3 servers and a bartender. Sorry if you do not like to hustle. After getting a bit impatient I started to walk around and found that there was a restaurant for lunch behind the bar that had 2-3 tables filled out of the 20 or so in total. I spoke to the person at the desk and made arrangements for my party of 6 and we sat immediately. I know I have said this many times before, but I am absolutely very picky when it comes to my food especially when I could cook Italian food very well. That being said... the food was fair to ok. Somewhat sad for what I had hoped food in Italy would be. Around 3 pm we went back to the desk at finally were able to get to our rooms. We were given rooms on the 2nd floor (i think # 213 & 211) Walking to our rooms is quite depressing and dingy. The hotel halls are somewhat dirty and very dark with a brick red/maroon paint color and dark carpet. (would look much better with a light color paint and some updated fixtures)

Once I walked in I told the man with our luggage not to even bring them into the room and did not allow my family into the rooms either...aside from the ok decor they were right outside of the roof of the smaller building and this was totally not what I booked (or would ever book for that matter) especially in Rome! I was supposed to have a view of the pool and could only see the roof. I called down to the front desk ASAP and spoke to Alessia who moved our rooms to the 3rd floor which was good (or so I thought) I stayed in room #317 with a pool view and had my other guests in room #314 with a garden/parking lot view. Once again the decor was ok, but the rooms were clean and the beds/pillows were comfortable (aside from being very low). That night while trying to sleep I noticed that it was uncomfortably hot and muggy. We called the front desk and had them send up a service tech to look at the Air Conditioner. He said it was working fine and mumbled something in broken English about water and left the room. Needless to say we had a horrible night sleep that night. When we woke for the day I took a shower and was starting to get ready. I have very long curly hair and could not stop the sweat from dripping from my face right after the shower at 7am (had to get to breakfast which was included and then my tour of Rome at 8:30am) We did everything possible to get the room to cool down, but nothing worked... not even opening the patio doors for cool air from outside. The room was HOT and not getting cooler. We once again called the front desk and the said they would send a tech up while we were out to fix the AC. After being gone all day touring Rome and walking in the heat we get back to our rooms and noticed that my room #317 was about 25* hotter than room #314. The AC worked fine in the other room I rented, but not in my room. We once again called the front desk and they sent up a tech to fix the AC with us there. I proceeded to explain to him that this room was way too hot to be comfortable and he took an attitude with me and in broken English he said the AC works just shut the blinds to block the sunlight. I continued to explain that they were shut the night before during the night and the sun did not shine during the night and he did his best not to tell me off however, I could totally see he was getting short on patients and totally frustrated with me (because I was questioning him) He left without fixing the AC and we sweat our butts off again that night and getting ready the next days. Finally the last night I could no longer take sweating and sleeping so uncomfortably that we called down again to have another tech come to the room... They once again sent someone, but he told us that the unit was working (NOT!!!) We took him into the other room we rented and showed him the temperature difference even when the thermostats were on the same temperature and the AC's were set the same (Huge difference, but we were still told ) it was ok. After much disgust we called the front desk and requested a fan or something else to keep us cool. The ended up bringing us a small fan which helped circulate the hot air (but the breeze was welcome).

Every morning we were greeted with a great smile and a happy buon giorno. Veronica was top notch and a great manager. She was on top of everything at breakfast. Nothing got past her. She made sure all 6 of us were seated happy and had everything perfectly that we needed. She should run the other departments in the hotel. ( This review might be different if she did) every day breakfast was good with a nice variety of items and great cappuccinos.

The pool is beautiful and always clean. It is very very deep (about 13 feet or close to it) You are not allowed to dive or jump in and there are only 2 ladders to climb out of. The lifeguard is always there making sure you follow the rules and tells you when you do not. The pool closes at 8 or 8:30pm sharp even if it is a beautiful day and there are 50 people lounging and swimming by the pool. The lifeguard will go to everyone and say that the pools closed you must leave. (even if you are sitting and reading on a lounge chair) you must leave. Every night and morning I could see that the autovac was cleaning the pool and getting it ready for swimming. The water was always clean and never had too much chemicals. He maintained it very well. ( the rules were a bit funny, but nonetheless the pool and the pool area were spotless clean).

Aside from the horrible AC, and the dark dingy halls our stay was good. People could take some lessons on customer service. I am Italian , but do not speak it fluently. I could tell when they were speaking about me or my party and knew enough to reply to them. The men especially could take a lesson on being respectful to everyone. They all had the my crap dont stink attitude, which dosent sit well with another Italian with a NJ attitude.

My complements to Veronica (Veronica, tu sei un manager eccellente e merita molto più rispetto e ammirazione. I vostri sforzi sono di prim'ordine e avete una grande etica del lavoro che mostra davvero.)

Alessia did a great job assisting me with the tours and bookings. (La ringrazio molto ... Ottimo lavoro)

Dont use the hotel shuttle to and from the airport it is too expensive. Take the shuttle bus into the center of town (1.5 euros per person) Enjoy Rome and the beautiful sights. The taxi drivers are nasty and some try to over charge (dont let them) They will fight with you as well... and sadly know that you will only get good Italian food upon you return to the US (If you are Italian), because the food in Rome is nothing like you are anticipating unless you like Chef Boy R'Dee. (really)

Ciao
TJ

Room Tip: Dont stay in room #317(AC is very bad and they say it is good) or any where on the 2nd floor from #2...
1 Thank beentheredonethat92
Dear beentheredonethat92,

Thank you for your comments, in which you drew my attention to your experience while guest at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's.

We are glad to know that you found our hotel good, with lovely pool, friendly and helpful staff (especially Veronica and Alessia). I have shared your comments with them as you have mentioned their excellent service. We are very much grateful for your compliments!

On the other hand having red your review we can imagine your disappointment and we therefore apologize for any inconvenience encountered during you stay.

Please rest assured that we will review your comments and take any action we feel is required.

I very much hope that we can yet encourage you to stay with us again so I can put your above concerns to rest.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The hotel itself is great although it takes about 30 minutes to go to the Vatican by bus or by the hotel shuttle. When we used the taxi from the Vatican area to the hotel just past midnight it took only 10 minutes. It is not really far but traffic and the bus makes a lot of stops. The hotel has a nice looking pool which we were not able to use. The breakfast buffet is fairly priced and saves you the time and gives you energy for sightseeing for the rest of the day. Also since it is in the outskirts of the city there really is nothing to see at night. The rooms are a good size for a family of four, we even have a terrace but the view was a construction/renovation of the hotel. The hotel is also near a park which my wife and I went to for a morning run and the hotel provides a map and towel which I found to be great. The hotel is in the process of renovation but the good thing about this hotel is the very accommodating and very friendly staff. If we go back to Rome I would not hesitate to use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike P
Dear Mike P,

First of all I want to thank you for spending time for sharing your feedback about your experience at Crowne Plaza Rome St Peter’s.

I’m thrilled to hear that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed our rooms with a good size for family, the run station with map and towel and that you would not hesitate to recommend our property.

I have shared your comment with my whole team as you have mentioned their attitude.
We are very much grateful for your compliments!

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Crowne Plaza Rome-St. Peter's.

With best regards,
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I have a mixture of views about this hotel. It has its positive points and also negative ones. The hotel is clean, rooms are big and bright. I emailed the hotel three days prior to my visit and requested a pool view room but my email was never replied and I did not get a pool view while my stay. few of the staff at the reception were helpful but at least one of them was rude. I was checked in by Ali at reception. He was good. The next day I went to buy a ticket service for shuttle and as far as I remember I asked the lady at reception for only one ticket, she handed me three tickets and asked for €4.50. I took the tickets and in a minute realised I have been given three tickets. I went back to the reception and asked for clarification. The lady very rudely told me "why did u ask for three when you were alone" and all the guests standing near the reception were smiling, which was very embarrassing. This surely spoiled my whole day and instead of the receptionist saying sorry I begged her pardon and then she returned me three euros.

I found the breakfast good and with a large variety. But I also tried the food from restaurant which was not very good. On my first night I tried lasagne, which was not very bad but then I tried veal escalopes and roasted veal with sauteed vegetables on other days, which were bland and soggy. I had the lasagne again on the last night but this time it was very dry and overcooked. I wont suggest anyone to eat at the hotel's restaurant as it is also a bit overpriced. However, there are very nice restaurants at short walking distances from hotel (search on TripAdvisor).

The best part of whole of my stay was the bar at the hotel. I saw two different bartenders on my different visits to the bar and both were equally good and friendly. They really know what they are doing.

I went to the spa for a body massage. I called from my room to the Spa to book an appointment and asked about the differences between different massages but unfortunately the lady at the Spa couldn't speak English so I could only manage to book an appointment. When I got there it turned out the manager/incharge of the Spa was not there and this lady was a massager who had booked my appointment. I didn't find the whole experience welcoming and the massage was not as good as I had anticipated it. Though I had to pay €70 for it.

The hotel has a very nice pool.

In nutshell the hotel has positives and negatives.

Would I stay at the hotel again? May be but it wont be my first choice.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Sohaib M,

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry to read that your email with pool view request was never replied and honored . We appreciate that you loved our Bar with excellent bartenders.

We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service at the reception and Spa. We have already forwarded your comments to the heads of Dep. We know they share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible and we are confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services and they will be more vigilant to be sure that similar inconvenience will not be repeated in the future.

With Kind regards,
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is in a more or less suburban location south of St Peter's. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We used the room for two nights while touring Rome at the end of a long trip. The food in the hotel is expensive, but there is a very nice restaurant next door within walking distance. The hotel also provides a shuttle service to the Rome airport.

1 Thank Inspro2014
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Inspro2014,

Thank you for your review and to have chosen our Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s.

We are glad to learn you appreciation about the comfort of the rooms and cleanliness.
Regarding prices, allow me to put on record that they are comparable to all Restaurants in Rome and Continental Europe.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza St. Peter’s on your next visit to Rome.

Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A large hotel in the suburbs of Rome where coachloads of travelers start or end their holidays. In my case the end of a cruise on the excellent Royal Clipper.Make no mistake this is an expensive establishment and there were no complaints about the room or the facilities. The massive let down is the kitchen. My wife's evening meal was sent back as inedible so by the time her replacement arrived I had finished.So much for our last meal at the end of a great holiday.Couples who were on adjacent tables to ours also sent meals back. This is simply not good enough.
Tour operators (in our case the excellent Riviera travel) need to consider carefully using this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike H
Dear Mike H,

Thank you for your feedback in which you drew my attention to your experience while guest at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's!

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you had no complaints about rooms and facilities.

We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding kitchen, however we had not been informed by Riviera Travel that this year all the participants would have had dinner at our Restaurant at the end of their cruise. Moreover we have discussed the points you have raised with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. We know they share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible, and we are confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services and they will be more vigilant to be sure that similar inconvenience will not be repeated in the future.