“Very Nice Hotel at Rome”

Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's
Ranked #179 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have stayed about 3 weeks at this hotel, although it needs a litle more maintenance due to its old age of the building, it has all the features of the known CROWNE quality.
The hotel is located only 4 km from ST.Peters Square, it takes about 15-20 minutes with public bus to get the center of the city. Very nice neighbourhood and resort like atmosphere rather than a Hotel. Very nice green surrounding calm and peaceful.
The hotel staff is very helpful and nice, service is quite good and really friendly ...
The only weak point of this hotel is the Internet and TV infrastructure which really needs a serious renovation.

Room Tip: Don't take the pool side rooms, especially on the weekends could be loudly due to the pool-part...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Goksel_Birol
Manager-Hotel-Invest, Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Goksel_Birol
Thanks for the time spent in sharing your experience at the Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's.
We are delighted that you noticed the quality of our hotel and you enjoyed our location and the attitude of our staff.
We will discuss the points you raised about Internet and TV with our IT Manager. We know they share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible, and we are confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.
Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we hope to see you at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peters again in the future.
With best regards,
Davide Grilli, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,059)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

A very convenient solution for our summer visit to Rome with our 2 children (9 and 6). Our room was clean, quiet, and with a nice view to the swimming pool. Breakfast was great and so was the large and clean swimming pool. Our kids loved it, perfect after a long day in town.

Reaching the city center was very easy, it's about 20 minutes by bus and the bus stops right in front of the hotel. Tickets can be conveniently purchased at the reception. The road and the area outside the hotel is very trafficked, not really nice for a walk.

All personnel were always very helpful and friendly. Definitely great value for your money.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the swimming pool are quite and have a great view. Some of them face a roof terrace, ug...
1  Thank GMarzio
Manager-Hotel-Invest, Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear GMarzio
Thank you so much for your positive feedback; I really appreciated!
We are glad to learn your appreciation about our hotel and we are particularly happy to know that you appreciated our swimming pool, our breakfast, our quiet and comfortable rooms, our location and our useful shuttle service.
Thank you also for your positive comments about our professional staff.
It is our goal to consistently provide customer satisfaction and your comments are very important to us.
We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza St. Peter’s on your next visit to Rome!
With best regards

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at The Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's for 5 days starting July 12th after the conclusion of our Holland America cruise of the Mediterranean. This hotel exceeded our expectations. We stayed in a family suite (room388) and it was spotless with a lovely balcony and very comfy beds. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The pool was clear blue and fantastic. They even had a life guard, Ricardo, who kept the children in check and made sure the pool area was peaceful and well kept. The hotel restaurant had an affordable and appetizing selection of food and drink with very pleasant staff. The Hotel manager was very professional and answered all of our questions about the hotel and surrounding area. The hotel shuttle was perfect. Having a beautiful pool to come back to after a long day of sightseeing was excellent. We would definitely stay at this hotel when visiting Rome again.

Room Tip: There are great local restaurants and Pizza places within walking distance to this hotel, however th...
1  Thank RudyandMolley

Dear RudyandMolley
Thank you so much for your positive feedback; I really appreciated!
We are glad to learn your appreciation about our wonderful hotel, our restaurant, our beautiful swimming pool, shuttle service, friendly and helpful staff.
I have shared your review with my whole team. We are very much grateful for your compliments!
With best regards

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely setting for a hotel - seemed to be everything we were looking for, scenic and welcoming. That is where the good points stopped. We got bed and breakfast - the bed was like a yoga mat and the breakfast was the same thing every day, weetabix and water. Yak!
The cleaners never smiled once when cleaning the mess in our toilets and even asked my wife, who suffers from crohns, what she had been eating because of the smell! We went two full days without giving us new bum roll and we had to take some from the public.
Lovely area but wouldn't recommend.

Stayed: May 2014
7  Thank JordWashy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear JordWashy,

Thank you for letting us know how your stay was with us. I am happy you like the service you received at check in. However, I am sorry to learn that the bed condition and breakfast service fell below your expectations. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I appreciate your feedback as it will be shared in order to avoid a similar experience as it is our goal to provide excellent service to all our guests.

Shall your travels bring you to the area again we hope for the opportunity to provide you a quality stay with us all around.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 1 August 2014

To put it simply with the positives and negatives
Positives - allowed us to check in hours before check in time (3:00pm)
- large king sized bed
- taxis on site of the hotel
- lovely indoor pool
- 15 minute walk from down and a metro station as well as bus stops all around

Negatives - mini bar does have a cost and it is very expensive!!!
- only bbc news in English on tv
- even though 3 miles out from the city, a taxi to the colosseum costs 28 euros
- the wifi isn't free

A few tips.. Fill up bottles with tap water and leave it in the fridge and get some ice from the machine, a lot nicer than paying 5 euros for a can of coke!!
Also buy a Roma pass, 36 euros for 3 days but can get on any public transport(bus/metro), get in museums and the colosseum for free!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Molly O

Dear Molly O
Thank you for your review and to have chosen our Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter’s!
I am delighted to read such a gleaming report about our Location, indoor pool and our large king sized beds.
About your disappointment about the cost of the taxi, allow me to put on record that the Hotel offers a regular shuttle bus (1,50€ one way, 3€ return), greatly appreciated from all our guest staying with us. The bus runs on a regular basis to St. Peter's Basilica in the morning (9-10-11-12) and to the heart of the city center (Trastevere) in the afternoon (16-17-19-20-21) and evening. Moreover 2 different public busses are available just at the doorstep of the hotel to reach downtown which is only 3 km far from our Hotel), or reach the nearest metro station and in 20 minutes discover all the main attractions in the heart of Rome.
Wi-Fi as per IHG policy is free to our Elite members (Platinum and Gold) starting from july 2014 we will be more than happy to extend this benefit also for our Club members.
Kind regards,
Davide Grilli, General Manager.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Really helpful staff and overall a good location - room not massive but clean - balcony offered welcome additional space and great view of the pool! Bus into town was v useful too...drinks and food at the poolside restaurant were pricey but that's to be expected

1  Thank JOJE22

Dear JOJE22
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I'm happy to hear that you overall liked the quality of the hotel, in particular our great staff, our good location and our useful bus.
We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza St. Peter’s on your next visit to Rome.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We arrived two hours earlier than check in, our room was ready for us. The receptionist was efficient and attentive and recognised our Platinum status, we were upgraded to a pool view with a balcony on the top floor, although I believe these can be requested so my advice is to do so with a quick email pre-trip. We were then taken through public transport arrangments and booked the fantastic hotel shuttle for the evening (more like coach). We weren't offered a newspaper, late checkout or a drink on arrival which is customary for Prioirty Club members, however we were given some restaurant discount vouchers which we utilised during our stay.

The rooms were lovely, very cosy. Not huge but big enough to settle comfortably for a week. Major downside for me, my boyfriend didn't care, the air con wasn't cold at all! On it's lowest temperature it was more of a fan. Lots of cold showers and sleeping with just a sheet were needed! When I mentioned this to reception I was told 'it's Italy, this is how it is'... well it's a 4 star property and under the Crowne Plaza brand... so I expected more. Anyway, not the worst thing in the world! The bed was HUGE. It was bigger than a King and the most comfortable and relaxing I have genuinely ever slept in (excluding a gorgeous luxury bed in the Peabody, Florida!). Just what you need after walking miles and miles. Had 6 perfect nights sleep and needed every second. We had a sofa and a table, with an iphone charger dock- brilliant touch and saved us using plugs/chargers/wires... the ligthing was fab, the tv was small with poor signal- as usual only CNN and BBC World news for the Brits... but I don't go on holiday to watch tv!! We did hire a a film one evening (12 euros) and I have to say it was much needed- we walked to the left of the hotel for around 15 mins, found a pizzeria... took a couple of pizzas and snacks back and had a much needed night in. The balcony, whilst small, was nice to eat brekkie on.

The pool was amazing, deep, huge and well looked after. It got VERY busy around the pool and there are lots of sunbeds but some days we had to wait a while. This was no problem but just a warning- if you plan to have a 'pool day' start early. The cafe bar area around the pool was great, cheaper than the restuarant with club sandwiches, pizza etc. Basic lunchtime food, all very tasty and around 10 euros. One of the most disappointing things to happen though was on a sunny Monday morning... there had been a few clouds, it was still 94 degrees and there were around 70 people around the pool- the hotel chose to close the poolside bar. They then sent a very rude member of staff to take drinks orders. When we asked for food he just rudely said 'no, go to resturant if you must eat'- I explained the facility is included in the price of the hotel, that we were all in swimming attire and that the restuarant was more expensive. He was rude and swore under his breath. At which point I went straight to reception and reported him. I was pleased with the outcome- they took our food orders and several other parties. We all ate around the pool bar- then later in the day they actually opened the pool bar (most likely noticing that it was busy enough to be constantly used!). The waiter unfortunately served me again on my last day and was very rude, to a point he almost spilled my left over pasta on me he was in such a huff to get away!! I found this amusing though, particularly since he didn't get a tip.

The resturant is BEAUTIFUL. We ate in there twice, once at night and on our very last afternoon. Highly recommend the pesto pasta and seasonal curry. It's reasonably priced, around the same as the restaurants around the hotel, but drinks are more expensive.

Overall the hotel is a slice of luxury in a beautiful historic city. It is a little further from the centre of Rome but in the heat of deep summer I would NEVER stay in the centre- you need a pool and a comfortable spacious room to come back to- not a fan above a boiling bed! Lots of the city centre hotels we saw were run down and above shops/attractions. The Crowne Plaza stands out on it's own.

Transport wise it wasn't all easy... the hotel shuttle is great but only goes to the Vatican in the morning and along the river in the evening. Having said that it's a short walk from the Vatican to the Metro which connects most things. We found that the Metro and then a public bus to the hotel was unreliable. The metro to Corneilia was fine, but several times we had to jump in a ten euro taxi at the metro station as the bus was full/didn't turn up and was infrequent. This was irritating as a taxi from the centre was only around 15! My advice- budget for a taxi home everyday. It's lovely, quick and hassle free! totally different in the cooler month, treking around is easier :) This hotel is not meant to be in the centre- but we went to the centre once and sometimes twice a day and it was no real issue, just a bit tiring after such long and hot days!

The last thing to review is the Spa... well it's lovely :) Unfortunately the jacuzzi was broken for the whole week we were there and was a prime reason for us picking the Crowne Plaza... there were no apologies from spa staff until I asked why we weren't told when it would be fixed... the answer was 'no idea'. Not a nice lady! The other staff seemed courteous but one or two need to go on a customer service course! The Turkish Baths, sauna and plunge pool were all fantastic though. You have to wear a silly shower hat, never done that before in any other Crowne Plaza but when in Rome...

The surrounding area was residential/academic. To the right there is a restaurant called Arturo, it was really very good! Expensive though... to the left there is a short wak to a few cafes and shops, all for locals. Worth a wander though.

Overall, I would return tomorrow if I could. I miss it already.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, pool view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire S
Grillid, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Claire S,

Thank you for your comments, in which you drew my attention to your experience while guest at Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's.

We are very glad to learn your overall appreciation about our Hotel and facilities and that you would return tomorrow.

Having read your comments, I can imagine the disappointment and I therefore apologize for any inconvenience encountered. We always take seriously any feedback and please rest assured that we will take any action we feel is required.

I have already forwarded your comments to my Heads of Dep. I know they share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible, and am confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services.

With kind regards,