Arrived fairly late on the Friday evening. Took the express train from the airport to Termini station and then took a taxi to the hotel which came to 17 Euros on the meter (I suspect it would have been less, but there's a lot of traffic in the city centre on Friday nights). I offered the driver 20 Euros but as he had no change he was willing to charge me 15 which was a nice surprise, however I told him he could keep the change as a tip.
Check-in painless, no one else waiting to check-in and friendly person at the desk, without prompting, he said he'd see if there were any upgrades available for me as a platinum member. I was given a slightly bigger room with a pool view.
The hotel was refurbished in 2008 and the hotel has won awards for its refurbishment. This means the rooms are clean, comfortable and modern but are not as stylish as the Crowne Plaza London Kensington that was refurbished this year.
The hotel is not within reasonable walking distance of the city centre, but you have a few options. The hotel runs a complimentary shuttle bus most hours, there's also a taxi rank inside the hotel grounds or the hotel can also advise on public transport (and sell tickets). The bus ride to the centre is less than 15 minutes.
I only visited the city centre once in this trip (because I've visited Rome a number of times previously, staying at the InterContinental which is very centrally located). I decided to use this trip for relaxation rather than sightseeing and take advantage of the hotels facilities, particularly the pool area.
The hotel has a very nice bar terrace and a reasonable (although not outstanding) restaurant. However, there's a very nice Italian restaurant located right next to the hotel, just outside the grounds. It's frequented by the locals and hotel guests in the know. It's well worth a visit.
Overall, very pleased with my stay. I wanted a nice relaxing weekend and that's what I got. If you just want a city break, I'd consider something more central. But if you'd like to spend some time relaxing by the pool in addition to seeing the sights then you can't go wrong.
Lessons to be learned: I should have taken a taxi direct from the airport to the hotel, this would have cost me 40 euros. This was more expensive than the combined train + taxi option but the direct taxi would have avoided Rome's Friday night traffic congestion.
The cheapest option to the hotel is a combination of train + metro + bus (or 10 minute walk instead of the bus). You can find public transport info on the hotels website or if you need further assistance then contact them before arrival.
The hotels free shuttle bus only makes one trip to the airport, mainly to cater for the morning arrivals from the USA. During the rest of the day the shuttle bus is used between the hotel and the city centre.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An upscale hotel with a tranquil garden, an outdoor pool and convenient transport links to Rome’s historic heart. Crowne Plaza® Rome - St. Peter's hotel offers guests easy access to the city centre via our scheduled shuttle service or public transport just outside the hotel. If you're travelling to or from Fiumicino Airport (FCO), reserve your seat on our shuttle bus or book a private transfer. Closest metro station Cornelia is just over 1km from the hotel. World-famous attractions such as Rome’s Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel – home to Michelangelo’s spectacular frescoes – are all within reach. The hotel is just steps away from Villa Pamphili city park and a few minutes from the old neighbourhood of Trastevere. Business travellers have access to a 24-hour Business Centre and 13 modern meeting rooms. Our dedicated Crowne Plaza Meetings Director takes care of all your event needs. The hotel is Completely Connected, and our Fast & Fresh meal options keep you focused and productive. Our airy rooms offer balconies and free WiFi and a Sleep Advantage® programme, including premium bedding, Quiet Zones and Guaranteed Wake Up Calls. Sip a drink in our relaxed poolside bar, enjoy Italian or international cuisine in our full-service restaurant. Pamper yourself in our wellness centre which is open to all guest over 16 years of age. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Crowne Plaza Rome - St. Peter's reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter`s Hotel Rome
- Crowne Plaza Rome St Peters
- Crowne Plaza St Peters