“Little surprise in Rome!”

Comfort Hotel Bolivar
Ranked #224 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Little surprise in Rome!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've been in Rome with my sister and I will be very honest. I made a very vague and lazy search and for my lucky I decided to stay in this hotel. First because the price the location and also because I was looking for a hotel, not an B&B. I was surprise because I was expecting a OK and cheap hotel but I found a very nice, well located, clean and with an friendly staff.

I definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pedroortale
Amedeo L, Direttore at Comfort Hotel Bolivar, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest,
we're very glad our hotel was a nice surprise for you. Thak you so much for your review. We hope you can come back soon and now you know that Hotel Bolivar is a good place to stay and to visit Rome. We'll wait you, your family or friends for an Italian holiday. Best regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family has just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel.
The absolute best point of this hotel is the location. It's a very short walk from many of the top attractions of Rome and hundreds of bars and restaurants.

The big problem was our room, 311.
It was situated at the top of the hotel and just outside on the terrace were situated various ducts and noisy equipment that ran all night.
I slept not too badly but my Wife and Son hardly got any sleep. Not ideal when we were all really tired from our all day treks around Rome.
If you are given this room i would bare that in mind.
The staff were friendly and spoke good English.
We were also stung by the city tax which we knew nothing about.
Its 3 euros per person per night.
Considering the very high cost of the stay I cannot recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Amedeo L, Direttore at Comfort Hotel Bolivar, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,
first of all, thank you for this review. We appreciate that you have noticed how favorable our position is. We apologise for your room: but if you have asked and according to the availability, we would have provided to change it with one more suitable to your needs. About the tourist tax, is something really common in many cities, even abroad…. We apologise ieven in this case because we forgot to mention it on our website, where we are going to quote it as soon as possible. Best regards.
Webster City, IA
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We spent 2 nights here. Very clean, beautifully decorated and staff very helpful. Unfortunately I spent more time in our room than expected, having gotten sick the morning after we arrived so I stayed in the entire day. My husband asked a lot of questions from the front desk and they were always very helpful to him. Had I not been sick, we could go on tours right from the hotel. The breakfast room was beautiful and the views from it were outstanding. The 2nd night there, it was quite noisy from the outside. It was a Saturday night and I'm guessing there was some sort of special event close by and they partied til 6 AM. But, don't feel that was the hotel's fault. The location of this hotel could not be better than any other. Walk down the stairs, turn left and you are headed for the Coliseum, ruins of old Rome, etc.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sherri H
Dear Sherri,
First of all we hope you feel definitively better now. We are glad to read your review, so good about us. It was for us a pleasure to host you and your husband and we are happy to know that you have appreciated our hotel and its favorable position. We really hope you will come visit us again the next time you’ll be in Rome. Best wishes!
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Just come back from 2 night break at Hotel Bolivar and had the most fabulous time! Great location within 10-20 mins walk of all the main attractions, very friendly and helpful staff, spotlessly clean, delicious breakfasts. Set in a quiet courtyard so a peaceful nights sleep could be had. Highly recommended. Cannot wait to return :))

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Beth R
Dear Beth,
Thank you so much for you positive review. We're glad you liked our hotel and appreciated our staff. We are also happy to know that you have appreciated our position, that makes easy to reach in few minutes, even by foot, as you say, the most important and known places in Rome, our breakfast and finally the quiet during the night. We hope you come back soon in Rome and we invite you to be our Guest again. Best regards
Glasgow
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked this from late rooms after being let down by another hotel and so didn't have much time to research beforehand. First things first and biggest tip is its cheaper to actually book through the hotels website direct, as with late rooms we ended up having to pay a departure tax, which would have actually been included if we had booked direct. As for the hotel, its in a really nice little quiet street with only a restaurant for company. The reception area is small but nice and the staff who dealt with us were all very pleasant and helpful, certainly no complaints there. We asked for a nice room due to this being our wedding anniversary and were given room 312 on the top floor next to the restaurant. The room was fine, minor issues such as a missing switch in the bathroom which gave my husband an electric shock and a toilet seat which was far too small for the actual toilet. We had one of the only 2 rooms that have balconies and whilst ours was really small it was still nice to sit out on an evening. They could do with upgrading the balcony furniture, I think that would make such a nice difference to have comfy chairs. The pack they provide you with when you arrive isn't full of information, which I thought would have been helpful, but reception are really good and can answer any questions. Mini bar provided which is good for putting in your own drinks, as the prices are a little steep albeit I'm sure they are in keeping with other hotels in the area. They have a TV, but it has not English speaking channels other than BBC world news, so if you are looking to pass an hour whilst relaxing the TV's a no go. One big thing was that they do not allow you to use an iron in your room, due to the historical nature of the building, so you might want to take your own, as this was a big issue for us. Although there is a small bar, there is no on site restaurant, but quite frankly you don't need one as there as so many too choose from around you, you are completely spoiled for choice. The breakfast is typically italian, all a bit sweet for me to be honest, but they did make lovely eggs and had a nice range of cold meats and cheeses, so catered for us just fine. This was our first trip to Rome and so I don't have much to compare it with in regards to other Rome hotels, but I would say this was pretty good all in all and for the location alone we would certainly go back. If you don't mind walking, you'll find that you can pretty much reach most of the tourist areas within an hour or less. We cant wait to return and I would be more than happy to recommend this hotel, I would certainly stay here again. On a final note, if you are at all squeamish when it comes to fast driving/tail gaiting, I would steer clear of the taxi service to and from the airport, a roller coaster without wearing a seatbelt would have felt safer, definitely a shut eyes experience!!!!

Room Tip: Not sure about other rooms, but our room was really noisy when the doors where open and even when th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Amedeo L, Direttore at Comfort Hotel Bolivar, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Mitch,
thank you so much for this complete and positive review. We are really glad that, to be your first time in Rome with your wife, you had a good stay and you have appreciated your room and its terrace, that overlooks on Rome. We are also happy to know that you have appreciated our position, that makes easy to reach, even by foot, as you say, the most important and known places in Rome. We are thankfull to you for this review and we invite you and your wife to be our Guest again the next time you’ll be in Rome. Best regards.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

You an walk to all attractions, less than 1KM. So can not beat the location.
The rooms are small but decent ones. Not a luxury hotel by any means.
They put extra beds to accommodate kids.
Breakfast was on 3rd floor and the place is tiny with lot of people. But the staff at breakfast is very attentive. Same options every day.

Room Tip: A convenience store right across the street for water etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having expressed your opinion about us. We are glad to know that you have a positive one about the Hotel Bolivar, where our staff invites you to come again during your next Roman holiday. Thank you, again. Best wishes.
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 26 July 2014

There can be few better locations in Rome from which to reach all the major sites on foot. Tucked away in its own square the Bolivar offers quiet functional accommodation with a team of staff who are always on hand to help.
Having originally put us up (me and my two teenage sons) in a small down stairs room the management deemed it unsuitable and had us moved to a larger room, all without me having to raise a query. Perhaps that says more about my unwillingness to rock the boat. That said the rooms are tastefully decorated, clean and functional - good shower and air conditioning.
The breakfast is a buffet style and provides a filling start to the day. For evening entertainment there are plenty of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance but it took us a couple of days to hit on the area around the Via Del Boschetto off the Via Nazionale as a good place for restaurants. It's not really a tourist trap and all the better for that.
As for the Bolivar we would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MarkBrennand
Amedeo L, Direttore at Comfort Hotel Bolivar, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Mark,
it was our pleasure to welcome you as our relished Guest into our Hotel. We are glad to know that you had a great stay in Rome with us and we really hope to meet you again in the future. Best regards, thank you again.