“Awesome place to stay”
Review of Hotel Zone

Hotel Zone
Ranked #532 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The only negative comment I can make about the zone is it's location. It is a bit far from the city center and if your caught looking for food at night your out of luck as many business close early. However if you take advantage of the free shuttle service or catch the 990 downtown then location becomes less of a hassle.

The room itself was very modern and mimicked the minimalist style illustrated in the lobby which in my opinion is very appealing. Tv had CNN eurosport and RT, with more chanels if you wish to purchase them, which came as a surprise since most euro hotels lack English channels.

Breakfast was simple yet did a sufficient job supplying the guest with everything from cold cuts to eggs and everything in between. The restaurant surprisingly was very good considering my usual experiences with hotel food my only suggestion is that they put a beer on tap rather than only having bottles, but hey you can't get everything

Probably the greatest quality of this hotel is its staff. Initially my flight out of JFK was canceled and I lost my bag during my stay and the reciiptionist was more then courteous in helping me retrieve it. Once while working out in the gym I thought I had gone in unnoticed yet within 2 mintues a employee came flying in the turn on the tv and make sure the room was at a suitable temperature.

In summary the hotel zone is just an great hotel and I will be staying here when I come through next time in early august

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Ryan8033130

Reviewed 9 June 2011

I actually went there in May 2010 with my mom. It's a little far (20 min shuttle ride) from downtown Rome and the vatican but they provide a great shuttle service that runs from ealry in the morning and until late at night free of cost. the breakfast was delicious, the staff was very helpful and nice, and the rooms were very clean and comfy. I would come back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank katiuska15
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We came to Rome for medical treatment for my mother and the hotel staff couldn't have been more accommodating and helpful. From the free upgrade to a Junior Suite with glorious sun terrace, to calls made on our behalf when we needed information but could not communicate in Italian... Georgia and her team were wonderful.

The room was cleaned to a high standard whenever we put the notice out and all areas were maintained beautifully throughout the hotel.

Breakfast was typical for this part of the world with a lot of fresh pastries along with cold meats and cheese. Most mornings there was also scrambled eggs.

The restaurant offered a select choice and would suit those who are looking for a chic, minimalist style of dining. Prices were quite high but not unexpected in Rome in a 4* hotel. Dennis in the restaurant spoke excellent English and was both attentive and informative ...also the best cappuccino maker we encountered!

There is a well equipped gym in the hotel that we did not use, although it looked like it provided ample for those looking to stay fit whilst in Rome.

A short walk from the hotel offered a few alternate dining choices though not many. Nearby too (within 10 minutes walk) are a supermarket, take aways, bank, tobacconist, hairdressers, pharmacy and cafes.

I would not hesitate to recommend the very modern Zone Hotel for those looking to enjoy Rome but not be immersed in the noise and chaos of the centre.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tinalouiseUK
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I really enjoyed my time at Hotel Zone. When my partner and I arrived in Rome, the cab driver new the exact location, so no troubles there! The cost of the cab will, however, set you back around €45, so a tad expensive!!
The hotel is located in a residential area - it was lovely walking around and discovering the little shops and restaurants. There is also a supermarket about 15-20 minutes walk from the hotel! The nearest overground station is Balduina, which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. There is a little shop next to the station where you can buy your travelcard from (about €3). When you catch the train at Balduina, you are a few of stops away from an area that has a Metro station (check your maps). Although this sounds like it would take you ages to get to the city centre, it only takes about 30 minutes max! Alternatively, you can use the free shuttle bus (people carrier) that the hotel provides in the morning. You'll need to register your seat/s with reception. We always got a seat when we needed them. The shuttle bus will drop you near the Vatican.
Staff at Hotel Zone were friendly, especially the bar man (who was sometimes on reception). He was always happy to help answer any questions we had. The food served at the hotel was lovely and the free breakfast was nice (which included bread, scrambled eggs, pastries, cereals, juice, tea, coffee, etc)!
The hotel room we had was clean and the bed was comfy. The walls, however, are very thin and you can pretty much hear everything is the rooms next door. It was also a bit annoying when I wanted a lie in but I couldn't because the cleaners were hoovering! It would also be great if there were tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
Overall, a nice hotel in a lovely area (I felt like a local).

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank PSB123
Reviewed 27 December 2010

The hotel is reached by traveling through a neighborhood. Taxis often had trouble finding it and drivers had to call in to try to get directions. The hotel is not close to the main tourist attractions. You need to walk through the neighborhood back to a main road to catch a bus. Once you figure out the buses and metro, it is fairly easy to get around and taxis are always available. Be prepared to carry your luggage up the stairs to the reception area by yourself. The lobby and reception area are very modern but quite spare in furnishings and decor. There was a single receptionist who was efficient. A non English speaking bellman helped us find our room and deal with our luggage. There are two, very tiny, shabby elevators. Our room was a huge disappointment; very small, shabby, with crumpled, torn light shades and it was hot. There is no air conditioning in the guest rooms. We returned reception and complained that the rooms were not as depicted in their online photos and that we would leave. We were offered an upgrade (additional cost) to what they called their "superior" room. This was a much nicer room with more modern furnishings and bath fixtures. There was a lot more room and there was a sliding glass door leading out onto the roof top terrace. We stayed. The free breakfast in the AM was adequate. If you get there early enough, there are scrambled eggs. Othewise, there is an assortment of breads/pastries, yogurt, cereals, thin ham slices, cheese, canned peaches, juice and coffee or espresso. Although we did OK at this hotel, it will never be my first choice.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank OBZRVR
Reviewed 19 December 2010

My wife and I checked in at Zone Hotel, Rome on December 15 . We have made a reservation for 3 nights. The following day (December 16) I tried to open the safe box but it hasnot opened then I called for assistance. I found it very weird for not being able to open the safe box by inserting my four digit password.

I promptly checked the amount of money that I left inside the safe box. I had 1500 Euros but after checking there was only 1095 Euros. So 405 Euros was missing. I had being stolen . I went straight and talked to manager of the hotel and she said that she could not help me with that. She could only advise me to report to police.

She told me that the police station close to the hotel could not speak english and that I should go to police station in the Rome center.

The following day I had no time to go to police station and I knwe that even if I report , they wouldnot get my money stolen back.

When I was having breakfast(December18) with my wife prior to checking out. I saw a family of 4 brazilians in the same hotel. I told them about the incident and I warned them not to place money or valueble items inside the safe box. They promptly went back to their room.

When I was the hotel lobby, they told me that the safe box could not open and they had the hotel staff to open for them. I hope that they havenot been stolen and become a victim like us.

I learned a lesson the hard way. Never place your money or valueble items inside hotel safe box. They (staff) can easily open with a screwdriver. If they steal your money, it is going to be your words against theirs.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
HtlValadier, Responsabile reception at Hotel Zone, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Dear Sir
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments
I have carefully read your review and I’m sorry to hear that your stay has not been satisfactory.
We would like to clarify that the safety of our guests is our priority,for this reason we give great importance to our security system as:
- video watch over in all common area ( hall, garage and corridors)
- safe in the rooms can be opened only with the personal code programmed by the customer or with a specific key kept in the reception.
- the 24-hour concierge
- external gate closed during the night time and constantly monitored.
Our safety standard is one of the elements that characterized the large turnout of regular customers.

We truly hope to have again the pleasure of your return visit in the very new future in order to give us another chance to welcome you.

Thanks for staying with us.

Giorgia Nascimento
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 28 April 2010

The good things about this suburban hotel are: the Staff is very friendly and helpful. The bed and linens are above average and the breakfast is very good. The neighborhood is very quiet .
The bad things about this hotel are: the shower in the middle of the room, a design concept for the Zone I'm sure, is awkward and the shower leaked. The rooms are not soundproof and any noise be it neighbors flighting or loud airplanes overhead can be heard. The location is difficult to get to by using public transport unless you are very adept at this (fortunately we are).

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple