Mercure Roma West
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Pool
1,193 results
All reviewsshuttle serviceshuttle busbusiness hotelrome city centerfree wifitaxi farevisiting romespacious roomeurconferencefiumicino
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was lucky enough for my boyfriend to surprise me for my 30th birthday in May by taking me to Rome. Now ladies, as much as we love being romanticised, it can often be a little tricky asking the man organising the trip, if indeed, he has actually organized! I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. It's a tad scary when your other half says all is booked and you'll see where you're staying when you get there! Well, we got to Rome (flew easy jet...be aware if luggage is going on plane carrier there's an extra charge...my boyfriend forget to put my case into the equation God love him! ;0) ) This start concerned me, but I kept in the spirit of the trip, we were going to Rome for my 30th, and the man who can't organize a knees up in a brewery had gone to all this effort! We arrived late at night and were approached by many taxi drivers, the one to look out for is the ones who carry more then one passenger, so you agree to all split the cost. They may be strangers but you will soon find that you're all in the same boat re not knowing how it all works and it was quite a fun drive, the driver being lovely and the passengers from all over the world. When we arrived we were greeted with a smile and told where our room was, as well as a few bits and pieces re travel into the centre of Rome. I was a little concerned that Roma West was quite out of the way. But our room was spacious, lovely, clean, very quiet and I was really impressed. My boyfriend had booked independently so we really were left our own devices, which was actually quite exciting in that we were exploring together. The next day we went to reception asking for info on travel into the centre and was hoping to suss out how it all worked. What we feared would be a mind field was so easy thanks to the staff on reception. Basically Mercure Roma West have a free shuttle that runs daily to the metro line at certain times, and also they run a shuttle service to return. As I say, all free. I can't reiterate enough how much you can save using this. You have to book as in advance as possible as the shuttle is only a 6 seater so it's essential, especially during peak season, to book the times you want to go and return. For info, there are also buses at the back of the hotel that run more frequent, also allowing you not to be tied to time, but we prefered the shuttle. Once at the metro we were told to buy a three day travel pass (we were there 4 days) and this could be used as many times as we liked during those three days. Going on the metro is so easy too. We headed to the Coliseum first, and the stop is aptly named the same. You literally get off and there it is, amazing! Be prepared to feel a little lost at first, but don;t worry, your breath soon returns and you start walking and seeing and discovering. It's truly a magical experience. We were told to book certain trips online in advance for tours etc, but we didn't as we had no clue what we wanted to do each day so far in advance and it really wasn't a problem. I guess we went at a perfect time, early may (9th-13th) and although busy, it wasn't so you couldn't get anywhere for crowds and queues. The weather was great too, not too hot and warm enough for shorts most days. Evening got a little cooler (and just to add, those thinking they need to buy armani to fit in...don't even worry! Anything goes! Be comfy, no one is judging you, unless you meet Donatella Versace herself!) We queued for the coliseum and decided not to do a tour as these feel quite restricted, but that's the kind of couple we are, we just wanted our own time and space and I'm so glad we saw it all freely. When we got back that night, we googled everything though! Haha! The trevi fountain is a must and I suggest eating around there one night for a meal, even sitting near the steps during the day with a gelato (Italian ice cream, we ate buckets! It's gorgeous!) seeing the trevi fountain at day and night are two different experiences. We loved the spanish steps too and also the Ponte Sant'Angelo bridge were you see the angels pointing the way is just breath taking.Everytime we went back to the hotel and needed advice for the next day, the receptionists were so helpful. The food at the hotel is great too. You must try the all you can eat day buffet if you're having a late start...wow! And amazing value. And also if you fancy a night in, the restaurant is very well priced and good food. As I've said, the hotel is a little out of the way so in turn there aren't many restaurants around at all unless you just want bog standard fodder (ie, eating on garden chairs with checked plastic tables...we actually enjoyed that experience though!) or to go out book the shuttle or get a taxi. But be warned, we were ripped off horrendously by a taxi one night when he told us he was taking us somewhere nice to eat and then said he thought we only wanted drinks so took us somewhere miles away, with us having to ask him to take us for food. A trick we fell for which doubled the cost. I would say to fix a rate and really know where you want to be. If you have a day where you just want to be a bit lazy or have a late start there is a lovely authentic italian cafe round the corner from the hotel...we loved it. It was so great to sit amongst the locals and soak up the sun sat outside. The staff there were so lovely and although we must have looked a fish out of water, where so welcoming. So there we go, if you want to see Rome but be a little more far out without a lot of effort to get 'in', I can't recommend here highly enough. The room rates are much cheaper too. Obviously, there's no outdoor sunbathing areas, but thats not why you want to go to Rome! Get out and see as much as you can...BUT WEAR COMFY SHOES! We had blisters even in soft flip flops so be prepared. The City of romance...my boy did good!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hull_UKRachelB
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here on Saturday thinking it was an airport hotel but it is nowhere near. It is about 30 minutes drive and their "airport shuttle" only operates 3 times per day. If one of these times doesn't work for you it will be a 50euro cab ride. That will be more than staying at one of the Hiltons at the airport.

Also, there are not many restaurants near by so we stayed at the hotel to eat. The waiter was very rude to everyone and kept getting frustrated with people for no reason.

Also the pool, requires shower caps. They have them, however it will cost 1 euro.

Advice....if you are looking for an airport hotel, don't stay here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John T
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is not an airport or tourist hotel. We just missed the free shuttle due to a delayed flight. The next shuttle was not for two and a half hours. The cab ride cost me 50 euros. I tried to schedule a return shuttle upon arrival for the next day and was told the first one was at 11 am. Another cab ride to the airport. The hotel restaurant is really the only option in the area. The food was pretty good but over priced. The room was in need of renovation but clean. Do yourself a favor and stay near the airport.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this lovely hotel for just one night before leaving Rome.

The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff was nice and were accommodating.

We ate dinner at the hotel due to lack of restaurants in the area-- no fault of the hotel. The food was delicious and the beer was fairly priced compared to almost every place in Italy.

The only bad thing about the hotel is websites have it listed as a airport hotel. I feel airport hotels should be within waking distance of a hotel or have more constant shuttles. While we wouldn't have expected a shuttle-- 6:30 am flight-- not having shuttles til 10:30 is a bit ludicrous if you choose to be listed as an airport hotel w shuttle service.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Dmama1314
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not well located for tourists, but offers very nice, large rooms, in a safe part of town and is reasonably prices for Rome.
I would stay there again. Not so close to the airport as it may suggest.

• Stayed: April 2014