Hotel Donatello
US$279
US$937
US$477
  • Restaurant
All reviewscroissantsmanzoni metrocoffee and juiceminute walklovely balconytram stopsmall balconybudget hotelcontinental breakfastquaint hotelgave us a mapjacuzzi batharound the corneron footthe breakfast areastayed at this hotel for nightscity break
Reviewed 25 July 2014

With no amenities other than the incredibly kind man at the front desk. Carlos, I believe. The room had two twin beds pushed together with barely enough space to walk around, and not made up so that you could sleep on both. It was like going back to 3rd grade. The dining area was under construction. Wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TheBaileyDog
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a trip to this hotel through Humberside Airport Travel as a wedding present to my husband. We stayed 30th June to 3rd July and to say we were looking forward to it was an understatement. We had 7 months wait to get there and the reviews/website showed it to be a little diamond of a place; wtong!
On arrival after a very early start, got out key to the 'double room' booked to open the door to a shoebox with twin beds. My husband went back to reception to say there must be a mistake as our hotel voucher clearly stated a double room. They said no, we had booked a twin., hotel was full and nothing they could do. We went out all day and night for as long as possible to not be in this place longer than necessary.
Breakfast was coffee; mediocre by Italian standards, one croissant each, a stale bread roll each, jams and dilute orange. Tip; take a left out the hotel to top of the street and right. Little cafe on roadside with coffee, pastries and toasties. Lovely. Take your own hairdryer too. The one in the room blown cold air, took me an hour to dry my hair.
Rome itself is stunning and enjoyed the trip but will not return here nor recommend anyone else to.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Vicky B
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights - 30/6 -3/7/14. Couldn't fault the service from all the staff who were extremely friendly and helpful. A very warm welcome on arrival - breakfast was served in the Court Yard which was very pleasant but has some ongoing building work which really didn't bother us. The room was very clean and tidy and the bathroom had a jacuzzi which I found really relaxing after our days out sightseeing. All in all I'd give the hotel 10/10 but I have simple tastes.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front with a balcony - traffic was a bit noisy (the Italians love using their horns) but with the balcony shutters and the double glazed door closed, we were able to sleep soundly.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil R
Reviewed 26 June 2014

booked this hotel for 4 nights for myself and my partner's honeymoon and 50th birthday as we always said we would revisit Rome when we married.I read some reviews and became a bit worried by some of them. i can only say that they must have stayed in a totally different hotel! the room was very nice and clean,we had a small balcony with flowers to sit out on.fridge and safe in our room,and the staff were friendly and helpful without being obtrusive.
Continental breakfast was served 6.30-9.30 each morning,either inside the restaurant or outside in the garden (some renovations were being done to one part put did not effect the garden seating area at all): croissants,bread buns(and in reply to the people who said buns were stale-it was italian bread,it was supposed to be like that!!!)honey and various jams,fresh coffee,juice and water (tea bags if you prefer tea)
The location,we felt, was excellent,15/20 minutes stroll to the colosseum,also to st.clemente church,which was well worth a visit,passing many coffee shops along the way, selling wonderful coffee,cakes and sandwiches,A fantasic restaurant called Il padellaccio ristorante(which i shall also be reviewing)which we visited twice-mainly due to an amazing salmon and rocket pizza, about 5 minutes away from hotel.
Trams and buses to the left of the hotel only a minute or so away,and to the right,a short walk to manzoni metro station. the hotel was close enough to walk or take public transport to anywhere where you needed to go,but just far enough for food,drinks,souvenirs etc to be much cheaper than around tourist attractions (eg a 1 euro fridge magnet cost between 2 or 3 around colosseum,an espresso 0,80 compared to 2 or 3 euro) a small supermarket is situated across the road to the right where we purchased water,some food and nice bottles of alcohol and sweets etc to bring home as gifts at a fraction of the cost ( 70cl beautiful bottles of strawberry flavoured vodka just under 5 euro)
Some people reviewed the area as being run down and covered with graffiti,unfortunately,the graffiti was all over Rome,including around the colosseum,so the area itself was no worse than any other. The interenet issue some people commented on,i believe is more down to each person's phone,my phone was very hit and miss getting wifi,yet my now husband,had no bother at all,yes there is a 5 euro charge,but it only has to be purchased once per room-not per person.
When my husband and i visit Rome again,this will definitely be our chosen hotel,the location,clean rooms,friendly staff,access to transport,walking distance to attractions and very cheap prices make it an ideal hotel.

Room Tip: back of the hotel would probably be quieter as they didnt face the road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank juliemarie66
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I enjoyed this hotel with my son (11) to visit Rome for three days. We choose it because of Price/Quality ratio and b ecause of the location.
The hotel surpirsed us in a pleasant way. The personnel was friendl and the room was very nice. I think this has been redone lately because the bathroom facilities looked quite new.
More than enough space. Good bathroom with toilet, bidet, sink and shower.
There was a balcony at our disposal too, which was nice.
The neighbourhood is not so good and walking distance from the central station directly is not recommended.
On our way back we walked to a nearby metro station and took two stops there.

Breakfast is very basic.
Hotel is clean.

I would recommend this hotel for the price I paid (65€ a night) but I would much more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family