“An easily forgettable experience.”

Sheraton Parco de' Medici Rome Hotel
Ranked #635 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I and my wife stayed at the hotel as it was the location for the European Conference on Club Management hosted by the Associazione Italiana Tecnici de Golf and the Club Managers Association of Europe. Bearing in mind that over 120 managers from several European nations and America were participating, all of whom are extremely experienced in providing first class service in their clubs one might have expected the hotel to be attentive. Sadly it was not so. Indeed the feeling of the delegates was that staff and management should have attended the conference session on delivering performance service. Some individuals were unhelpful and appeared to care little about guests, but there were instances particularly at breakfast on the days after the conference had finished and most had departed where we were greeted in a friendly and helpful manner. Particularly negative points were that only one girl was attending to reception on the night we arrived and we had to stand in a long queue and at lunch time the buffet had only one access point, again meaning long queues. Advertised free wi fi did not connect mobile phones to the internet . On the plus side the room on the Starwood Preferred Guest level was excellent being clean and generally well appointed. The bed was very comfortable. However there was no trouser press and to use an iron staff said health and safety regulations meant one had to go to a room in the basement. I did not have time for golf but the course at the hotel looked attractive and well maintained. with a comfortable clubhouse lounge in which snacks and drinks were reasonably priced. The shuttle bus to the centre of Rome or a local shopping mall is run by an independent company. It did turn up, but ran on Italian time so if you have a deadline leave yourself a margin of error. I would hesitate to describe this as a resort - only outdoor pools and I saw little evidence of activities for younger members of a family. It is 30 minutes by the shuttle bus to Rome and them there is a fair amount of walking before you find the famous sites of antiquity and/or the Vatican. However if one had a car and could face Rome traffic - take a beta blocker before you venture in - then it might be an acceptable base. It is OK as a conference venue.

1  Thank John D
Direzione_Operativa, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Sheraton Parco de' Medici Rome Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear John D.,
Met. We appreciate your very important opinion about our facilities and confirm that fire regulations to not allow us to place electrical appliances in the guest rooms (i.e. kettle / iron). The ironing room is next to reception open 24/7. Most pools in Rome are seasonal unheated outdoor pools and two children playgrounds are found near the pools, in a specially reserved area, plus this hotel participates in the “Sheraton Kids Club” initiative.
The shuttle to the centre: the bus stop is allocated by the City of Rome. It is therefore not possible to go further into the restricted area of Rome centre, which would make it far easier to reach the historical sites for all visitors. The bus stop is further close to various public bus stops from where one could take public busses to the Vatican and not only.
Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our premises in the near future.

P. Moore
Executive Assistant to General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,127)

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Regent cruises put us in this hotel. It is far below what we were expecting. This is not Rome, this is suburbia. The hotel could not handle 250 Regent passengers for breakfast. Regent by putting us in this hotel deceived us. This is by no means a "luxury" hotel and should be removed from their list.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tricia L
Direzione_Operativa, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Parco de' Medici Rome Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Tricia L,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are devastated to learn that we have missed our opportunity to impress you whilst we had the chance to do so. We would like to inform you that this hotel respects all the Sheraton standards and it is subject of twice yearly surprise inspections by Starwood. Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back at our premises so that we may be given the chance to change your opinion.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Seabourn brought us here post cruise in May 2013 but at that time we only spent the day there and had some lunch whilst waiting for our flight. At this time this part of the hotel was closed and had been reopened especially for the 10 or so of us cruisers so it was difficult to form and opinion of the hotel then. I did spot a pest control van in the grounds at that time and they were working in the rooms adjacent to the outdoor pool. We have now spent one night here pre cruise with Regent and I have to say we weren’t impressed. As previous reviewers have said this hotel is split into three parts. The whole complex is located in the middle of an industrial area and adjacent to a golf course so there is nowhere to enjoy a walk from the hotel. There is a cinema complex close to the no 1 section which does have a few shops and a restaurant and pizza place. This opens from around 16.00 each day.
The hotel is obviously popular with cruise companies as it is close to the airport (didn’t hear any noise) and is only an hour by coach to the port. It is also used by companies for conferences and HP were there for a few days when we arrived.
The check in was very slow as was check out and there was always a queue at reception.
The rooms were minimalist and around the same size as the Premier inn in the UK. We had chipped furniture and dented walls so not the “Luxury Hotel” which the Regent brochure promises. The compulsory room price information displayed in the room stated it was a 4 star hotel and that is probably optimistic.
The room had a stocked mini bar with the usual mini bar prices but no free bottled water and not even a box of tissues.
The room walls very obviously very thin as we could clearly hear the TV from the next room. Fortunately our neighbours went to sleep quite early so it didn’t give us a problem.
What was more of a problem was the lack of hot water to have a shower. The hot water was only just warm enough at 19.30 but at 07.30 it was decidedly cool.
Thanks to previous reviewers we did not use the restaurant here for dinner choosing to improvise in our room. We did speak to a couple who did use the restaurant and they said the food was good but didn’t like paying 17 euro for two small beers. Main courses are around 26 euro.
Breakfast was served in conference rooms for the cruise people presumably as the restaurant wasn’t big enough? Breakfast was ok with cereal fruit yoghurt and pastries. There was also some hot food which as usual with a buffet was at best tepid. There were scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and fried potatoes. Orange juice and coffee were available from a machine. The coffee was terrible and we noticed people who had obviously stayed more than one night ordering fresh coffee from the waiting staff – wish we had!
There is free wifi in the public areas but according to reception you have to pay if you use it in the rooms. You have to get the log in details from reception. I tried the same log in and it worked fine in our room so try that before buying a package.
So in conclusion we wouldn’t choose to stay here for more than 1 night and even then the price would have to be good (which is presumably why the cruise companies use it). It is way too far out to use as a base to explore Rome. Even as an airport hotel I am sure there are better in the area. Don’t be misled by the Sheraton name as some of our fellow cruisers were – this is not a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Shop around other hotels
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank john117

Dear John117,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are devastated to learn that we have missed our opportunity to impress you whilst we had the chance to do so. The last refurbishment of more than 80% of our rooms was finished in the summer of 2011 and we will certainly update the remaining 20% soonest. We would like to inform you that this hotel respects all the Sheraton standards and it is subject of twice yearly surprise inspections by Starwood. Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back at our premises so that we may be given the chance to change your opinion.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The only redeeming thing about my recent trip was seeing the hotel in the rear view mirror when leaving. Upon entering you are greeted by possible the most unhelpful young lady ever to be employed, who to be fair is consistently poor with all who approach her. Having endured a 20 minute wait during which you have to apologise for any inconvenience you have caused her by booking in ! The rooms are indeed fairly large, but if you fancy a bath forget it, as the taps produce nothing more than luke warm water, as for the shower in you hover above the aforementioned taps you might, just might get wet as they possess a dribble as opposed to a shower.

On to the bar where thankfully the staff were very welcoming, probably because they seemed to be drinking just as much as the customers !

I agree with others woes when approaching the dining room staff, as they leave enough dirty place settings around to make it uncomfortable to want to enjoy the decidedly mediocre dining experience.

Having endured a hard night at the bar it is reassuring to find house-keeping banging on your door at 07.30 in the morning.

I am sure those born in the 60's will appreciate the hotel décor, as it appears in most time capsules from this period. If you expect nothing except dreadful from this hotel then you will not be disappointed as it will deliver time after time. A truly memorable experience which was summed up by the fantastic organ player provided (albeit free) it's a while since we witnessed anyone learning to play the said organ for the first time in public.

yours

Horrified

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
2  Thank magoo63

Dear Magoon 63,
thank you for finding the time to post your review.
We have experienced a very busy period recently so it could have happened that there was some queuing at peak periods.
We have only recently finished renovating 80 % of our facilities and hope to finish with the remaining areas soonest.
I thank you again and hope that we may be able to welcome you once more in the near future so that we may try and change your impression.
Executive Assistant to General Manager

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The grief that my two nights' stay in this hotel has caused me is indescribable. I copy herewith a rebuttal I wrote to the response given to me (on email) by the PR officer of the hotel upon having received my complaint:

Dear Mrs Moore,

Thank you for your reply. I find the reasons given for your evasion of liability over this matter ludicrous, to say the least. In fact, more than that, it is blatant and appalling, given the fact that your reply reflects your obvious refusal to trust the testimony of your customers just because it works to the disadvantage of your business. Notwithstanding the multiple offer of apologies by you and your colleague, it is quite obvious you are not sorry. In fact, it even sounds very much like you are deliberately trying to intimidate me with what you deem to be "harsh facts", hoping I would back off thereafter.

Please find my responses and clarifications by way of the following points:

1. Whether you had your bell boys or not, on the night we arrived at your hotel, help was scarcely provided. Even if a couple of our members did receive help, a large majority of our group members was lugging their heavy luggage up that little flight of stairs. If there were elevators, it is strange that your bell boy did not so much as point our group to those elevators -- unless you are yourself mistaken about there being elevators leading to our rooms.

2. Your statement about never having received a complaint about the dustiness and smokiness of your rooms prior to mine, insinuating therefore that I am just being an unreasonably fussy customer, is well-taken. Then let this be the first complaint that comes not just from me, but from several of my group members as well (do you now need their names or for them to write personally to you?)

In fact, let me go further to say that the air-conditioning in my room was out of order for both the nights that I was residing in it. I was just too tired to make a complaint to the front desk, besides the fact that I did not fancy the idea of having to move my luggage again into another different room. But then again, if you enquired from your staff about it, it might be that the air-conditioning was working fine and that it was just I who did not know how to operate the switches (in keeping with the rhyme of your recent email).

3. The hotel lobby is a public place and the hotel is therefore not responsible for what happens at the lobby area? I am being taken for a fool here. I am not unaware that there is such a thing as public liability under the law of tort that points to the duty of care owed by a hotel like yours to its guests. I suspect your hotel knows it as well. After all, if the lobby is just a public place as you say it is, then why even bother to have a security camera installed in it and have security staff placed on the premises? If the hotel lobby is just a public place, then does your hotel have no license on lobby? If it is just a public place, who then does that lobby belong to? Is it just public property?

It is rather easy to evoke some local laws to intimidate your customer and then disclaim liability citing a part of the hotel as public place over which you are not responsible. Except that your customers are not necessarily fools.

Please take note that I had also informed you in my earlier email that the two thieves had also knocked on my group members' room doors earlier that morning and entered two of their rooms when the occupants opened their doors. The occupants mistook them for staff at your hotel. Mr Sylvester Lee had also mentioned this in his police report. Are occupants' rooms at your hotel also public places from which your hotel is indemnified of all liability? If they are, then your FOUR-STAR hotel is even more public than YMCA. This is incredible.

4. Your accusation that my group member's belongings were left unattended to needs to be corrected. The entire group was there around the place where the luggage was. That between the two thieves, the lady came and distracted my group's attention and the man quickly made off with the backpack does not make the luggage "unattended to". It simply makes the hotel lobby a very unsafe place because the owners of that property have failed to make it safe for their guests. So please, do not turn the claim of negligence around at us.

What you have found out is inaccurate. I was there at the scene, and you were not. And your staff were busy minding their own business. My group members did not entertain the lady more than just a couple of seconds when she came to deliberately distract their attention by asking them if they were going to church, to which they replied in the negative. There was no conversation beyond that. To say that they even took photographs together is a blatant lie, either on your part or the part of your staff (I can never know). Had we taken pictures with them, would we not have turned those pictures in to your security officers and to the police??? It is strange that not only you refuse to accept liability for this situation, but that you now even insinuate our absolute stupidity and lack of common sense.

At the very least, your hotel should have informed my group upon our arrival to expect that there were thieves around who might insert themselves into our group and be construed by you as being integrated components of our group, and therefore, that your hotel would not be liable for any of our belongings that they took off with subsequently. That gesture would have been very much appreciated.

Just because you have spoken with your own staff and received a "version" of their observation does not make "what [you] have found out" a fact. It is quite ridiculous to state that our group members had chats and laughter and even photographs with the couple if you had any measure of understanding of how reserved we Asians are in foreign lands. Your conclusion that your security officers were right to assume that they were part of our group is therefore nothing more than a lame excuse to evade responsibility for what had happened. In the first place, had these security officers been watching the interactions so closely, they would have noticed the man taking off with the backpack there and then, away from the group, when the rest of the group remained behind (how could it then be possible that he and his accomplice were a part of our group?) In fact, I am beginning to wonder now if your staff had anything to do with all this (Inside job? How else does a couple like that be allowed to wonder into guests' rooms and steal things at the lobby without any of the staff noticing anything suspicious about it?)

5. Your judgement about how your competent staff "immediately acted" once they were "aware of the issue" is quite misperceived, or perhaps, that is what they would have you believe. From the perspective of a guest in your hotel, let me reiterate that it took us about 15 minutes of persuading them before they finally concluded something serious was happening. We went to the front desk to inform them of the missing luggage, they gave us a blank look and did not so much as assist in helping us search for it initially while we were running back and forth the length and breadth of the lobby. And yes, at this point, while the few of us from the group were pacing back and forth in search of the luggage, your staff were still standing exactly where they were fifteen minutes prior to that! By the time they actually paid any serious notice to our issue, many minutes had passed. Please, Mrs Moore, we, your hotel guests, were there, we know what happened to us. Your investigations are the result of a series of enquiries made with your staff members who need to keep their jobs. Please do not patronise us by telling us about things that happened in a situation that was OURS, not yours.

6. Thank you for informing me of all the applicable Italian laws under which your hotel claims be protected from any form of legal liability (I do not even want to get into the aspect of personal integrity here). To make it clear, the group member (Mr Sylvester Lee) who lost the backpack and the equipment contained therein, works with me. We both jointly own the backpack and the equipment. So yes, I am a joint owner of the equipment that was lost, and am filing my official complaint with your hotel. Mr Sylvester Lee also, being a joint owner, made the police statement at the police station. I fail to see how this makes any difference if your hotel was truly sincere about making recompense to injured parties rather than looking for legal loopholes to vindicate you from moral obligations. Shame on you.

7. If your hotel has such a splendid relationship with the police, why then did your staff fail to alert the police immediately upon realising a theft had taken place? Would such an action not be in keeping with civic-mindedness? The truth is, having policemen in your hotel lobby and police cars parked in front of the hotel would affect public perception about your hotel security. It is clear that as a hotel, you are all about that, not so much about the welfare of your guests. Again, shame on you.

I am hereby requesting for a final confirmation of your position that your hotel renounces all claim to liability over the loss of my group member's property (which happens also to be mine, just so we are clear), and will then proceed to continue my pursuit of justice over this case with the police force of Rome and also my feedback with various international hotel reviewers. My group members have also informed me of their intentions to send in their honest reviews at my request. As such, I seek your final confirmation on your last-stated position on my grievance. But I assure you that this matter will not blow over, as I intend to do everything within my means to see to it that my rights as a guest in your hotel are upheld, if not morally, then legally.

Thank you.

Dr Sherman Kuek
Malaysia

Until now, there has been no reply from the hotel anymore. I am expecting that after this posting, there will be a reply from some PR officer of the hotel saying "We are sorry that our services have not met your expectations" -- because they are always sorry that the excellent services they provide have not met our expectations. In other words, the problem is not their services, but rather, our expectations.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Sherman K
Reviewed 21 November 2013

we travelled to Rome 18-22 October 2013, we stayed at the sherton golf 1 resort as there are 3 hotels in one resort, the check in was very long however the staff was friendly, rooms were clean and neat on arrival however not cleaned properly on a daily basis, the breakfast was very minimal and no change in menu. free wifi is only availble in the lobby which is an inconvience, their was no conceirage service. The hotel on a whole is very nice, but i would not reccommend it if you are staying for a longer than an overnight as its about 20 min away from the city centre even though a shuttle is available at a cost and being south african was very costly and was not always ready to come back with the shuttle times therefore taxi were used which are extremely expesnive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Direzione_Operativa, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Parco de' Medici Rome Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We regret that your expectations about the breakfast were not met and we would like to assure you that we have taken notes of your words and we will work with our department heads to ensure that we have a wider selection of items in order to meet the needs of our more discerning guests. Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back at our premises.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed in this Hotel from 11-Nov to 13-Nov-13 for a business visit and must say that i could not recollect one single thing which was good about this Hotel, except for an Opera performance in the evening. Below points sum up my experience
1) Rooms are too cramped and claustrophobic, ceiling is too low, sunlight is not in plenty
2) Hotel Staff is not at all courteous, almost all of them had 'Trainee' written on their badges and many times they are not able to understand and communicate clearly in English. Many times there are long queues for checkin. The staff is least sensitive about old people or families who need to wait.
3) One must consider himself lucky if he is able to reach anyone on the service desk
4) Fixtures in the bathroom are loose and keep falling down during the usage
5) Restaurant service is very poor, the day i went for breakfast inside the restaurant there was some other conference happening inside the Hotel, the waiter bluntly just refused to offer important assistance like bringing bowls for eating cornflakes. Also, it takes a long time for them to process the orders, i sat for almost 30 mins before my order was brought.
6) The lobby is full often during the day and there is not enough space to sit

There is a lot of room for improvement everywhere right from check in to rooms, restaurants, service etc. I would not recommend this Hotel to anyone who is there for business. Travelers and tourists who have come to see Rome must avoid it as its too far from the city and not very well connected by road or metro.

1  Thank Anukoool
Direzione_Operativa, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Sheraton Parco de' Medici Rome Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We regret that your expectations were not met; regarding your comments about the hotel being far away may I confirm that a shuttle bus runs from morning to evening to various destinations, (centre of Rome, tube station and shopping centres). Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back at our premises.
P. Moore
Executive Assistant to General Manager.