“It "Comes up roses" at the Rose Garden Palace”
Review of Rose Garden Palace

Rose Garden Palace
Ranked #82 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 January 2009

General Manager Gabriele Selci and his staff run a very nice, smart and affable establishment. The staff is very friendly yet professional. The hotel is not stuffy/haughty; rather it is very comfortable - intimate - more informal with good amenities and good food. The location just off the Via Veneto (and next to the American Embassy) makes it quiet, safe yet convenient to shopping and mass transit. You can walk 1 minute to the Westin Hotel taxi stand and the Via Veneto, 5 minutes to the Underground and 15 minutes to the Villa Bourghese and its park. The taxi's know where the hotel is too so you don't have to work hard at explaining where you want to go at midnight...And since it isn't on the Via Veneto itself it is a better value.

All-in-all, we can recommend this hotel to those who want a smaller more intimate hotel with friendly but professional service and a good location at a more reasonable value.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 4 January 2009

I feel like we really lucked out with this hotel - a 5 star experience at a 4 star price. It's a beautiful hotel in a great, high-end location (just off Via Veneto). And the service is better than many 5 star hotels - very responsive and with a friendly and pleasant attitude - including the staff in the bar and restaurant, as well as the reception clerks.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrequentFlyerJay
Reviewed 30 December 2008

We booked the Rose Garden after reading the many glorious reviews on this site, and I must admit we were slightly disappointed. Maybe we got our hopes up too much, maybe the poor euro/pound exchange rate tainted our stay, or maybe we are just a little unfamiliar with high Rome prices - either way we didn't feel this hotel was as reasonable as others had made out.

We shopped around before booking and found a rate of about €175 per room per night (about £175 per night due to the current exchange rate). It pays to shop around as some sites were charging double this. However, this did not include breakfast which, had we wanted, would have been an additional €15 per person per night. Many of the hotels and cafes within walking distance offered breakfast for a similar rate; a 15 minute walk towards the city centre took us to a variety of cafes serving cappuccinos and croissants for a fraction of the price.

We found the reception staff friendly enough, although the hotel seemed deserted! Maybe it was the time of year - the weekend before Christmas - but throughout our four night stay we only saw two other guests!

The pool area was lovely, though very small and intimate if you happen to turn up the same time as anyone else, as there are only two loungers. But just to have an indoor pool & sauna in the centre of Rome was a luxury in itself.

The rooms were fairly spacious and very clean, though some items of furniture were looking rather tired. And the bathroom was lovely despite the heavily chipped marble around the tub. Being six months pregnant and a true tea-drinking Brit I was a bit disappointed that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room - returning to our room for a hot drink, feet up, at the end of a tiring day would have been nice. I know we could have asked room service, but at €12/£12 for two hot drinks it was one expense too many!

Oh yes - and the 'free' mini bar. Not so free, actually. Ours wasn't even switched on, so all the drinks were warm and they weren't free at all! From what I recall I think a small 500ml bottle of water was €5, and a Coke was €6! There was a Spar right around the corner selling chilled 1.5l water for 0.20€ - much better!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cheapskate. Over the years we have stayed in various places - from 2 star budget Travelodges to 5 star hotels and we like to treat ourselves when we go on holiday. However, we didn't feel like this was the bargain everyone seemed to make out - even though overall it is a nice hotel and I would consider staying there again, should we return to Rome. Next time though, I'll definitely pack a travel kettle!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank muppetshow
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I have stayed in several hotels in Rome and this was by far, the best yet. Great location; nicely appointed and large rooms... beautiful garden patio. The public areas are modern and understated.

The staff was very helpful, especially Max at the front desk and the bellman. When we arrived(early), our room wasn't ready but we were offered complementary drinks and had to wait only about 10 minutes.

The location of the hotel is down the street from the Westin Execelsior... and across from the American Embassy. easy to and from.

A really great hotel....

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank caraw
Reviewed 12 November 2008

I stayed at the Rose Garden Palace in October and was so impressed. I was delighted to find a great mix of travelers at the hotel and a very international atmosphere. I am no stranger to Rome, and having stayed at a variety of hotels over the years I would say that the combination of price, style, location, and professionalism here was special.

The hotel is in a renovated palazzo just off the Via Veneto, within a short walk to the Spanish Steps. Being in Rome on business, it was easy for me to get to any point in the city for my appointments and for sightseeing. The staff at the reception desk was invaluable at helping with directions, train and bus routes, and restaurant recommendations.

I love the decor of the hotel. The rooms are spacious, decorated in a soft contemporary style, elegant in an unobtrusive way, and everything works! The minibar has water and soft drinks only, but they are complimentary. I thought this was a great idea considering how much some hotels charge for minibar items. If I wanted a cocktail I went down to the wonderful lounge and sipped my drink either with other guests or outside in the rose garden. Yes, there really is a rose garden.

The food at the hotel requires special mention. I have eaten many a buffet breakfast in hotels throughout Italy. Many of them rather ho-hum. On the contrary, here you will find an impressive spread including fresh breads, freshly cut-up fruit salad, huge wedges of cheeses, and, best of all, homemade tarts and pastries. I also recommend having lunch or dinner in their in-house restaurant. I invited friends to dinner there and we all enjoyed it tremendously. The service was attentive and professional. The food was great.

There is a fitness room and lovely zen-like pool in the lower level of the hotel, which is also complimentary to guests. After a day walking your feet off in Rome, a dip in that pool was divine.

I recommend the Rose Garden Palace to all types of travelers, business, leisure, even families. The location is great, the atmosphere is relaxing (which is a plus in a city like Rome!) and all the comforts you want are there. Overall, it's hard to beat. Take it from an experienced traveler.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank brooklyngirl22
Reviewed 5 November 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at the Rose Garden Palace when I was in Rome on business last month, and it was great. For my money, there's not a better place to stay anywhere else in Rome. The rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed, and the baths are modern and comfortable. I particularly loved the bath -- luxury fixtures like the rain showerhead and separate hand-held shower are head and shoulders above what you usually find at a European hotel at this price point. Nice thick towels and bathrobes too!

Breakfast at the restaurant was great. The staff was attentive without being intrusive, and the buffet spread included an array of food that's not usually found at Italian breakfast buffets -- eggs, bacon, etc. There was nice selection of fruits and breads, as well as cold cuts and cheese. When I was there, the breakfast room was full of travelers from all around the world, and it was pretty clear that there was something for everyone at the buffet table. It's also worth noting that everything in each room's minibar is free for guests, which is a happy surprise given that many Italian hotels charge crazy prices for drinks you take from the minibar.

The Rose Garden Palace's location just off Via Veneto is perfect for exploring the city, with the Spanish Steps and many other sights within easy walking distance. The staff was great about helping with directions, maps and public transportation schedules. From them, I learned about the little electric bus (116) that leaves from around the corner of the hotel and stops at great locations all around Rome. I was at the hotel for several days, and every interaction I had with the staff was a pleasure.

If you're a frequent traveler to Rome, you'll appreciate the Rose Garden Palace's great location and quality. For people who've never visited Rome before, I think the Rose Garden Palace would be a great place to stay as you get your bearings and get comfortable with the city and culture. Rome can seem overwhelming sometimes, and the Rose Garden Palace is a wonderful oasis in a great part of the city.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2008

This hotel is located on a rather busy street in the government/finance district of
Rome. Staff was rather dismissive and uninterested in providing assistance. The room was nicely appointed and was a moderate size, however with all of the furniture that had been stuffed into it was very tight with large luggage. It was nice that they provided one computer that had a free internet connection, however, it took 10 minutes to get a code that worked from the front desk. The breakfast was the best part of the stay, although the rose garden isn't the spectacular place that I was hoping for. There were also a LOT of Americans staying here- some might feel that this is a good thing, but I do not look for this when travelling. For a luxury hotel, I do not feel that this delivers.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple