“Lapo & Fabio made up for the inconveniences!”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #991 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Connecticut
“Lapo & Fabio made up for the inconveniences!”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

If you're looking for a run of the mill room, this place will do. Although the A.C. wasn't working in my room, Fabio upgraded me to one of the newer suites on the updated end of the hotel and boy what a HUGE difference! The newer room is quite nice and very modern vs. the traditional room I had the night before. I must say, the older wing could use quite a revamp too! Wonder if the owner will get around to that... nevertheless, I had a wonderful experience as the front desk receptionists, Lapo and Fabio, were OUSTANDING and went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that my stay was pleasant. Honestly, I truly believe they run the joint where their rude colleague fell short, they stepped in. As a solo traveler, it felt like I had a personal concierge at my beckon call. Everything was taken care of, from my transport, to local eateries, getting around, and personal requests too you name it and the fellas took special care. A very special thank you for making my stay in Rome an especially pleasant one and one that I'll remember always.

Room Tip: If you want a 'pimped out' room, go for the newer wing otherwise the older one is just fine...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ireland
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We were in Rome for just one night, after 3 weeks in Tuscany! Wonderful! We stayed at Hotel Nerva, just up from the Colloseum. Really wonderful hotel. We had an early evening flight, and so headed for lunch. Decided on restaurant Angelino Al Fori. It was wonderful. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids and we were very pleased with food and service. The waiters are authentic, although they do play up to the tourist, but were good fun! Food was really good, and very well priced. We would go back for dinner if in Rome again. A little gem, with great ambience! Loved it...

Room Tip: Did not stay in hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This hotel room came for a good price. It was quite clear that they had been doing construction work, but apart from a mazey route to my room, i didn't notice it. My room overlooked the main road which is noisy and the window didn't keep out the noise as much as i wanted. But, I was doing so much walking each day that I slept like a baby each night. If I had kids with me, I might think twice about this hotel.

Location wise it is GREAT. The colosseum is right around the corner. The main train station and Piazza della Repubblica are about 15 minutes walk away, and it has good transport links.

The staff were fabulous with great tips on how to get to where i wanted, places to visit, places to eat.

If I go to Rome again on my own, I will definitely check stay in this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Make sure you aren't in the "old" part. 1 star at best. I would've rather camped!!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Hawk80126

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Read the reviews and took a chance. BIG mistake! The pictures are extremely misleading! The hotel is under construction, however they are still charging top $$ for the unrenovated rooms. The A\C never got below 78 degrees F (my in- laws did not work at all). The bathroom and room smelled like mold/musty, the wallpaper is peeling, the 2'x2 shower leaked everywhere. Even the view photos on the website are clearly photoshopped. The list goes on and on.

THE only good thing about the hotel
is the close proximity to the Colleseum. However, I would have paid a few extra Euros to have a relaxing hotel to return to at the end of a long day of sight-seeing. The Richmond Hotel is not it!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Cri711
Dublin
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The Hotel Richmond is in a very good location. At the moment is undergoing some refurtishment work and the bedroom was obviously one of the older, shabbier ones. It was comfortable except for very loud air conditioning.

I was baffled when I paid the bill that I also had to pay a 'city tax' of €9 in cash,.
There was no mention of that in the booking confirmation I received. I saw an American couple similarly bemused - not so much by the amount as by the fact it had to be paid in cash. Other hotels do not seem to have a similar policy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Crego85
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Overall, our stay was pleasant with a few inconveniences. Would have probably graded higher if not for price and four-star rating. This hotel is in the midst of expanding. It bought the building next door and knocked down a wail to connect the two on one hall. The old rooms are completely different then the new rooms (we saw both). Our experiences below are based on the new rooms:

Pros:
Location- very close to Forum, Coll., Palatine and other ruins as well as Capitoline Museums. Longer walk to more touristy areas like Campo di Fiori, but even Vatican (furthest walk) is only 20 minutes or 10-15 by metro.

New rooms- nothing like a brand new, modern room! Ultra clean and fresh.

Service- other than some miscommunication before we arrived, the staff were very willing to do whatever was necessary to ensure our stay was a happy one. Very helpful.

Cons:
Rooms- while the rooms in the new building are ultra new, some were not designed well. One shower flooded the bathroom (we had to move rooms) and that same room felt very small based on design (setup, layout, window location, etc). Also, there are still some rough edges, like a missing ceiling panel in one room (but not others), bedroom mirror and refrig missing on another, etc. Some of this is a work-in-progress and I expect will be corrected in time. Some, such as the design, won't. But this would be a very minor detraction over all.

Breakfast- adequate and with a very nice location on roof, but for a four-star hotel I would expect more variety and better croissants. We stayed at many hotels last month in Italy, including one other four star and many three stars and Richmond's breakfast low on the list.

Parking- there is none. Certainly not a problem if you arrive/leave by cab, but if you were driving in and then returning the car, it was difficult. There is a narrow driveway between restaurants that happened to be open, but otherwise you would have to park on a very busy street where no parking is really allowed. This is actually rather typical for Rome, except we were led to believe the location was fine for parking and unloading. Again, rather minor issue if you are aware before arriving.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple