“Richmond Hotel Rome - Feb 2012”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #1,001 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 18 February 2012

4-night stay in this hotel advertised as a 4* antique treasure. It is being refurbished. The old part is in a poor state. The first room offered was really grubby and barely worthy of 2*. The carpets and chairs were stained and worn out years ago. Parts of the bath surface were missing. The second room offered was in the modern half of the hotel; much better but small and only 3* value. The bathroom flooded with every shower. Big disappointment.

Good position (<500m from Colosseum). Continental breakfast on outdoor roof terrace (which needed its wind protection in place in February) was reasonable but nothing special. Location is on south side of road, not north side as shown on Google maps.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bristolians55plus

Reviewed 10 October 2011

If you're looking for a run of the mill room, this place will do. Although the A.C. wasn't working in my room, Fabio upgraded me to one of the newer suites on the updated end of the hotel and boy what a HUGE difference! The newer room is quite nice and very modern vs. the traditional room I had the night before. I must say, the older wing could use quite a revamp too! Wonder if the owner will get around to that... nevertheless, I had a wonderful experience as the front desk receptionists, Lapo and Fabio, were OUSTANDING and went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that my stay was pleasant. Honestly, I truly believe they run the joint where their rude colleague fell short, they stepped in. As a solo traveler, it felt like I had a personal concierge at my beckon call. Everything was taken care of, from my transport, to local eateries, getting around, and personal requests too you name it and the fellas took special care. A very special thank you for making my stay in Rome an especially pleasant one and one that I'll remember always.

Room Tip: If you want a 'pimped out' room, go for the newer wing otherwise the older one is just fine...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We were in Rome for just one night, after 3 weeks in Tuscany! Wonderful! We stayed at Hotel Nerva, just up from the Colloseum. Really wonderful hotel. We had an early evening flight, and so headed for lunch. Decided on restaurant Angelino Al Fori. It was wonderful. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids and we were very pleased with food and service. The waiters are authentic, although they do play up to the tourist, but were good fun! Food was really good, and very well priced. We would go back for dinner if in Rome again. A little gem, with great ambience! Loved it...

Room Tip: Did not stay in hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This hotel room came for a good price. It was quite clear that they had been doing construction work, but apart from a mazey route to my room, i didn't notice it. My room overlooked the main road which is noisy and the window didn't keep out the noise as much as i wanted. But, I was doing so much walking each day that I slept like a baby each night. If I had kids with me, I might think twice about this hotel.

Location wise it is GREAT. The colosseum is right around the corner. The main train station and Piazza della Repubblica are about 15 minutes walk away, and it has good transport links.

The staff were fabulous with great tips on how to get to where i wanted, places to visit, places to eat.

If I go to Rome again on my own, I will definitely check stay in this place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Make sure you aren't in the "old" part. 1 star at best. I would've rather camped!!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Hawk80126
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Read the reviews and took a chance. BIG mistake! The pictures are extremely misleading! The hotel is under construction, however they are still charging top $$ for the unrenovated rooms. The A\C never got below 78 degrees F (my in- laws did not work at all). The bathroom and room smelled like mold/musty, the wallpaper is peeling, the 2'x2 shower leaked everywhere. Even the view photos on the website are clearly photoshopped. The list goes on and on.

THE only good thing about the hotel
is the close proximity to the Colleseum. However, I would have paid a few extra Euros to have a relaxing hotel to return to at the end of a long day of sight-seeing. The Richmond Hotel is not it!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Cri711
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The Hotel Richmond is in a very good location. At the moment is undergoing some refurtishment work and the bedroom was obviously one of the older, shabbier ones. It was comfortable except for very loud air conditioning.

I was baffled when I paid the bill that I also had to pay a 'city tax' of €9 in cash,.
There was no mention of that in the booking confirmation I received. I saw an American couple similarly bemused - not so much by the amount as by the fact it had to be paid in cash. Other hotels do not seem to have a similar policy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo