“Great location, great staff”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #992 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Sydney
“Great location, great staff”
Reviewed 11 February 2009

The location only minutes from the Roman Forum and Colosseum is fantastic, but this also means that there is a lot of traffic noise at all hours of the day. The hotel will kindly issue you with ear plugs so you can get some sleep.

It is clean, the view from the hotel’s rooftop terrace of the Forum as you breakfast is amazing, it is easy to get to from the main train station or by the metro, it is a convenient base to explore the rest of Rome, and the hotel staff are helpful and friendly.

But like most hotels in Rome I’ve stayed in, you can’t help feeling it’s overpriced. The bathroom is tiny, especially the shower. I’m only 5’3’’ and I still had trouble turning around in it. The hot water takes about 2-3 minutes to come on from when you turn on the taps. The rack to hang your clothes in the wardrobe is so high that I had to stand on a chair. My mind is still boggling over how to open and use the safe. And I’m sure the view from my window would have been fantastic if I was able to open the shutters and see it! I had to push them out to the point where the clasp was held and could just make it out through the gap between and below the shutters.

But overall, the experience at Richmond was cosy. After 8 days I felt very much at home. There are lots of restaurants right next door that are really good, and who can complain when such history is on your doorstep?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The shower!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank TravellingDans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Excellent location. It's near from Colisseu, Piazza Navona and many restaurants and stores.

The staff is absolutelly above average. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. There's a roof restaurant where you can have your brakfast and appreciate the landscape of Rome.

I really recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet connection - Fee
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Fantastic location! Breakfast on the roof top terrace was absolutely fine, with breathtaking views (shame however that this terrace could not be used by guests at other times as well, only for breakfast...). Our room was very comfortable, spacey and clean, with quite a large bathroom. The airconditioning worked a treat. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would come here again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No restaurant or bar
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LangeWapper
Reviewed 17 June 2008

We chose Hotel Richmond based upon its wonderful location right next to the Forum and the pictures of its beautiful rooftop breakfast terrace! We were not disappointed! Our family of three includes a 6'3" sixteen-year-old son, so we were alittle worried about space, but we were given a lovely triple room with enough room to move around and a comfortable bed for our son. The high ceilings were ornately painted and we could either open the windows or use the air-conditioner. The shower was strong and hot water was plentiful, and everything was thoroughly clean! Great value for money in a city with very expensive hotels.

Although we used Booking.com to reserve the room, we emailed to confirm and got some wonderful advice from Gemma at reception. She was such a help to us -- arranging for our pick-up at the airport, restaurant reservations, taxis, etc!

We looked forward to breakfast each day on the terrace which has a great view! All the normal continental breakfast items were available -- including fresh croissants and fruit (along with eggs that could be added for a bit extra $). It was a great start to the day!

We felt we could walk virtually anywhere from our location very near Piazza Venezia. And there's even a terrific pizzeria just outside the front of the hotel along with a great source for gelato!

Highly recommended over all!

• Liked — Location, rooftop terrace, staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank S B
Washington, DC
Reviewed 11 June 2008

I just spent a week at the Hotel Richmond and found the location perfect for visiting the ancient sites. The staff could not have been more accommodating. The room (a single) was small, but very comfortable (with a bed that satisfied even my bad back) and spotless. The bath was tiny, but it certainly didn't bother me. Breakfast on the roof terrace was a treat each morning, with an excellent choice of food and good coffee.

The only negatives are (a) the traffic noise from a busy intersection, although the double glazed window shut it out well, and (b) the rather weak air conditioning. I was on the cusp of being uncomfortably warm at night and would suggest to the hotel that they either upgrade the A/C or provide fans.

I would recommend the Richmond highly.

• Liked — The location and the service
  • Disliked — The street noise and the weak A/C
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Susan1958
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2008

This small hotel is located smack bang at centre of all the historical sites I was intending to visit, situated at bottom end of Via Cavour. The highlight of my stay were the excellent service given by Janet and Gemma, they speak good English and were ever so helpful for directions, best place to eat and mainly the added comfort that I feel I’m being sincerely looked after and cared without being prompt. I emailed them before I flew over after having read on this site that their single room may be too tiny for me and hope they could upgrade me if they were not too busy. Being their off season, well, to my surprise I was upgraded without paying any extra. Room and bathroom were very clean albeit peely wall paper could be improve.
Pictures of the room, the scene in front of my room (303) and Gemma are all being attached.
Roman forum and the back of the original Senate building was right in front of my window, the coliseum is not visible but it’s at the back of the hotel, statue of the Emmanuelle is also visible. If you are sensitive to traffic noise there are even ear plugs supplied, being at the centre of all the historical site these was expected. Breakfast was served on the roof top, but since it is winter, a plastic canopy with garden gas heater was installed to keep the worst of the cold away, what a view it could be if it is during the summer. There is WiFi available; costing 2.50 euro per ½ hour, cheaper if you buy longer time, which I felt should be free. There is a tiny fridge with refreshments available, a bottle opener but no cock screw, have to ask for one to open my bottle of wine. Plug adapter to top up my camera battery was luckily also available. A wall safe and flat screen sky TV sum up the facilities of the room. Nearly forgot, didn’t like a petrol station in front of the hotel.
This hotel don’t have lunch nor dinner for their patron but there are numerous eateries in the surrounding area to choose from, many along Via Madonna, Monti and Leonina, being off the beaten track, in front of the hotels, are little Roman eateries to indulged in, my favourite is call Traterre Romana but it seem all these good eateries where Roman eat are only open between 12-3pm and 7-10pm. Along Via Leonina, Finnegan pub give you a sense of being home away from home i.e. if you are from UK.
If I’m going to Rome again I’m not going through the whole mundane business of checking out all the other hotels because I found one.
.Thank you Gemma and Janet.

• Liked — location and service
  • Disliked — paying for internet
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank varvoom
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2007

Buon giorno!

We went to Rome as a large family group to celebrate a ruby wedding in March for 4 nights.
The Richmond hotel could not have been a better choice, brilliant location and very helpfull staff. Fabulous selection of food for breakfast on the roof terrace, with fantastic views across Rome.
The Roman forum and colosseum was just a spit away as was the "Shammrock" irish bar around the corner (highly recommended).
Rome is very compact and all attractions are in walking distance (managed by all 3 generations), no need to use public transport. Trevi fountain, Piazza Navona, Spanish steps, Colosseum, Pantheon and of course St Peters are all must see places. We even saw the Pope on his Sunday sermon from his appartment window. Can recommend climbing to the top of St Peters dome for the best view across Rome, dont worry about the que, they soon go down, and watch out for the sloping roof towards the top.
A good read before you go to Rome is Dan Browns "Angels and Demons"

Arrivederci

• Liked — The central location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family