“Hotel Quissisana”

Ranked #1,170 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
A TripAdvisor Member
“Hotel Quissisana”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Old hotel with excellent location (across the street from Termini station, small and shabby room, breakfast nonexistent (croissants, muffins, coffee and tea). Letter because a high note at the reception, very open and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with fru.pl

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel through flight centre very last minute. It wasn't until after it was booked did I think to check on Trip Advisor and I wish I didn't.
The reviews of this hotel are terrible and really made me worried about staying here.

As it happens I was pleasantly surprised. We did not fear for our lives walking down the so called 'dark and dangerous' street south of the Termini station and instead of meeting rude staff as many have complained about, we met a nice gentleman who spent half hour of his time highlighting all the sights of Rome on a map for us. He recommended places to eat and the best routes/buses to take.

Our room (340) was absolutely fine. Yes the walls/ furniture and curtains were dated, yes there was a slight crack in the sink but we always had hot water and a comfortable clean bed to sleep on. The tv showed only 3 Italian channels however you don't come to Rome to watch tv!

The breakfast was basic but adequate - tea/coffee and pastries/rolls & juice. Make sure you get there early though as there are limited tables and you may have to wait around.

The hotel is in a great location, from fiumincino airport you can get the Leonardo express to Termini and walk two minutes to the hotel.
The Colosseum is only 15 minutes down the road and lots of ristorantes and Tratorrias line the streets adjacent to the hotel.

This hotel is a basic 3 star nothing more nothing less - I believe that everyone who has complained so far about rude staff or being given bad rooms were probably not as innocent as they make out. Show the staff some courtesy and they may just make your stay more enjoyable.

Perfect hotel for what we needed - good location, a place to sleep and wash and have a light breakfast before our long day in the city.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank BenandRach88
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

I was the lucky one who had hot water, others had to take a cold shower. Toilets don't flush, hairs in the bathroom, stains on the walls, room doors with punched holes in them from a barfight or so,....

Stay away.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank eLeventyOne

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Killaloe, Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed in Quisisana hotel in September as we were celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary as well as my husbands 50th birthday.
This hotel was a disappointment. The room we stayed in was small although it did have a TV with 3 Italian channels. No mini bar - not a problem for us. The wallpaper was very grubby and torn in places. The view from our window was of rusting drain pipes, a filthy courtyard and the back of other buildings.
Lights were missing in the bedroom and the smoke detector was broken. The worst was the bathroom - at least we had one!!! It had black mould with duck tape around the bath which was very worn and stained. There was a leak sprouting from the bidet which we mopped up with a towel. We drew attention to these faults immediately and asked for more towels but were told we would have to wait until the next day. On one day the water was off.
However, the staff were generally accommodating apart from the owner who was the original Italian Basil Fawlty of Fawlty Towers. The breakfast was adequate - usually croissants and coffee as well as orange juice.
The bedroom had air conditioning and was quiet so we did sleep well. It would take very little effort to bring the room up to scratch - a bit of bath sealer and a repaint job.
The location was close to the train station and only 10 minutes walk to the Colosseum, a good location for exploring Rome.

Room Tip: Any problems bring them to the attention of the staff - they usually act on them promptly. There may...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorna L
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights and although the hotel isn't the best, its on par with ibis hotels in the UK in my opinion.

The rooms were adequate although the tv didn't work nor the air con but as I was out most of the day and evening and literally just used the hotel to sleep and shower it didn't effect me too much.

The breakfast was not great I only had it once it was bread rolls or croissants,tea, coffee and juice.

But the hotel is a block away from termini ( a five minute walk) and many shops, restaurants and cafes so in my opinion the negatives about the hotel were far out weighed by the hotels location.

Staff friendly and helpful during my stay and advised me of everything I needed.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Stacey G
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 23 April 2013

On March 31st 2013 i booked a double room in the hotel Quissisanna For two nights, 25-27 April 2013
I received a confirmation email
Today they sent me an email cancelling my booking.When i called them to solve this the rudest receptionist ever said i should not expect to stay in a room for 100 euros and they reserved it for someone else!!!!.Therefore i am left with two return tickets that will not be refunded and no room to stay as it is too late to find affordable accomodation.This is totally unacceptable.
I would not advice anyone to ever book there, you will be left with no room.

Room Tip: do not book there.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank christopysas
Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The hotel was booked before we even saw this comments about it but I must say I felt relieved when I arrived there.
The walls and everything were impeccable and we never had any kind of troubles with lights, dirty things and with anything in the bathroom.

Everyday there were new towels and new shampoos if we used what they left there before.
The only con in the bathroom was that the shower had no curtain which makes the water go everywhere.

The bed was very clean and everything went smoothly. No trouble with noises at night and the bed was comfortable and good (and we stayed four nights).

The only "con" that we saw was the breakfast. It's kinda poor but if you don't usually eat much it's okay, if not maybe you should go to a market near by and buy something that won't cost much. Anyway, the breakfast is included so you can always have coffee or milk and even a little sweet croissant.

The staff they don't always understand english at first but if you have a little patience I'm sure everything will be ok. We talked in english and when there was a problem it's just a matter of talking slower. They are very helpful and we asked for a private car to get us to the airport in the middle of the night and there was no problem with it. The staff arranged everything (they even tell you the price in advance) and the car was at the hotel door at the time we asked.

The lift is normal. People complained before about it but we never had problems with it and we used it for the whole stay. It's small but it's normal if we think about the kind of building where the hotel is.

Around the hotel, during the day you can easily walk with no problem but at night is always "weird". We always arrived at the hotel around 5pm maximum because it was getting darker and only left during night to have dinner.
About that I would say to go to one of the restaurants of the street, the first one when you leave the hotel and turn to right. The food is very good, affordable and plus, we never got a check with the "mandatory tipping" that some restaurants from Rome include.

This hotel is great because it's near Termini Station and you always have the subway to go anywhere and to the Colosseum you can even walk if it's good weather :)

If what you want is to walk around Rome and have some place nice to stay at night and that it's not very expensive I would say this is a good choice. I would stay from 9pm until early next morning and had no complaints about whatsoever...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple