“Hotel very basic but friendly staff and clean rooms”

Hotel Principe Di Piemonte
Ranked #694 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Hotel very basic but friendly staff and clean rooms”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Just back from spending 3 nights at this 3 star hotel. We found it quite a good hotel with very pleasant staff in particular the chambermaid lady with the glasses. Breakfast was very basic with juice, cereal and bread/pastries (sadly no toast, no fruit or no yogurt).. After saying that I would go back even if it was just for the air-conditioning.

Room Tip: Regardless what room there is a little noise from the constant traffic.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Having never stayed in Rome before i wasn't sure what and wasn't a 'good' area. I booked this as part of a package from a holiday company and so didn't have much choice on the option. The rooms were very clean, and did what was required, a bed for the night after a long day walking around...!!! I would chose a more central location next time i go to Rome, the second visit is always easier when you know distances etc, not always easy going of a map..!!! There wasn't many eating places that we could find close by and was glad that this time we where only staying a few nights. The breakfast in the hotel was very basic, no fruit or yoghurts etc, and if you and all the other guests went at the same time, there wasn't enough space/seating for everyone, and as we couldn't get our kettle to work with the plugs in the room, my mum had to pay 2euros for a cup of tea...!!!! It is in walking distance to the colesium, which we did, only because we has to change our plans as we couldn't get change for the ticket machine at the metro station (and they are so un-helpful in there) so please make sure you have small cash denominations when going to buy a ticket.....!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Bikerbabe34
Munster6164
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I would never stay at this hotel again and would certainly not recommend it to my worst enemy. It is disgusting, room and bathroom is small. There is no one to take your luggage to your room. They keep turning off the air conditioning. Breakfast is appalling. Very dirty..Staff very unfriendly.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Munster6164

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The hotel is located about 15 minutes walk from the train station. Looking at a map i thought it might only be a 5 minute walk with bags but i was surprised at how far away it was. On the plus side, the hotel is located on the same street as the train station, so it's difficult to get lost.

The double room had plenty of space however it is quite basic. There can be a lot of noise from the train station across the road, which is why i suspect they have installed air conditioning units (so the windows can be shut) to minimize the disturbance.

It was frustrating not having wifi available in the room and especially annoying that there is a cost of 10 Euros to use the wifi from the reception.

As expected, the breakfast is very simple with cereal, bread, juice and coffee/tea. Unfortunately there was no fruit.

There staff were reasonably helpful, however i was surprised that i was expected to pay for the room in cash. Eventually the staff member conceeded that i could pay using the credit card i had booked the room with. After checking into my room, having a shower and getting ready for bed, i received a phone call from reception at 11:30pm, asking me to come downstairs and sign the receipt - which i found a little strange.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Johnny869
Avellino
Reviewed 20 December 2011

It is unfortunate hotels are obliged to collect a 'guest tax' on behalf of the Italian government, but it's not a choice for them as they are mandated by law to do this. I mention this as I heard a guest arguing at the desk re this thorny matter and felt annoyed to see front desk people in hotels bear the brunt of what their political masters have decided. That aside, it is rude to blame hotel staff.

The astonishingly friendly owner Allesandro and his lovely staff were gracious and kind and seem to have a fondness for Irish guests! Terrific night Manager Bouchaid is in possession of a wealth of knowledge on the city and helped me enormously by directing me to some unique and unusual places, and advised on a particularly difficult glass design I wanted to track down and buy, and unbelievably I found it and bought it. What a treasure this man is for guests who are fortunate enough to find themselves in this unique hotel.

The hotel itself is a warm, inviting and lovely place to spend time at. I cannot stress too much how immaculately clean this hotel is, with a beautiful breakfast set up every morning for guests. On the strength of knowing before I arrived that the internet was available in the lobby only, I decided not to take my laptop with me. Then I saw people sitting around chatting and working on theirs and realised my mistake. Upon my return to Roma in a few months I will happily stay at this delightful hotel. Bravo! Hotel Principe Di Piemonte.

Room Tip: I took the room I was given and never requested anything special. The owner Allesandro is a very hos...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Maura C
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Not only was the hotel a quick 5/10 minute walk straight from the train station and i mean.. come out of the train station walk straight down and you wont miss it!, The welcoming from the manager was more than could of been asked for. He gave us a map, told us directly what trams and buses to get on and was directly helpful from the first day.

The hotel was perfect. Like i said, it was down the street from the train station so on a road but the road was not busy and the hotel was not directly on it. There is steps down to the hotel that showed it tucked away from any noise that could be heard. We certainly didnt hear any cars, trains e.t.c

The bed was comfortable, the room was okay. A bit of rust on the shower and the towels were like thin bed sheets but thats all i would complain about if i was being picky! But the rust in no way looked bad or falter the function of the shower nor did the sheets prevent you from being dry.. the very opposite!

Sky television with the function to change to british language a bonus! We were told wifi but couldnt get it in our room.. maybe downstairs in the seating area i dont know.

As for the prostitutes, yes we saw two for the whole trip. One where she was in a the corner of an alley and scurried away soon as she saw a female and the other ran right into my boyfriend ha! But harmless.

Never experianced any muggers on this trip like most tourists say. I would say its one of the most less threatening cities ive been too. I mean we walked around at night and saw nothing frightning. We even left our money out of the safe and it was never stolen!

Coming out of the hotel if you go to the bottom of the street away from the trains tation, turn right and get to the second street fantastic pizza shop! 6 euro for a full pizza, healthy too! No grease nice bread!

To sum up

Hotel was fantastic could not fault it. Manager and staff were as helpful as ever.

Location, close to termini station which leads you to metros to different places. Close to colosseum about 10 min walk or 2 mins via train station to the met.

Italy itself, beautiful, if you get lost like we did.. we ended up seeing the spanish steps, and several churches we would never have seen on the map!

Reccomended to get a roma pass! We only got a day one.. but we got free bus, metro and tram pass for 24 hours for 4 euros - Without this pass its 1 euro per journey. Use this to get to the vatican, spagna (spanish steps) e.t.c all clearly signposted under the city names to tourist attractions.

GO VISIT ITALY, VISIT THIS COSY HOTEL!

Room Tip: We had 1st floor the view from the room was an old womans house but you didnt need to have it open a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Alexandra1871
San Francisco, Mexico
Reviewed 12 September 2011

There is nothing like the feeling of being welcomed in a new country.
I can't thank the staff enough for being so lovely to all of us.The hotel
is cute .The beds are comfortable,the bathrooms are great quality,and
the breakfast is really good.

Thumbs up PRINCIPE DI PIEMONTE