“Excellent Spot for a Visit”
Review of Hotel Sonya

Hotel Sonya
Ranked #242 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We originally reserved at the Hotel Opera Roma, but were moved to Hotel Sonya when we arrived....we really didn't care, since we don't spend time at the hotel most times. It turned out to be fine -- the staff were terrific, the rooms very comfortable (small, as most rooms in the small hotels in Rome are), but in a convenient location for most sights. The breakfast everyday was a true treat -- loved those cappuccinos! And they were able to accommodate our request for one room with a queen and one with twin beds.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WBDore

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The positive: within walking distance to Termini Train Station; satisfying breakfast.
The negative: only ONE staff member was friendly and helpful. The rest were either indifferent or not happy to be working at Hotel Sonya; esp. the red-headed female front desk person. We were afraid to ask for directions or advice; they acted as if we were bothering them! The first room we were given (stayed for 3 nights, checked out to visit Florence, and returned for another night which was already paid for) was not even as nice as my daughter's college dorm room. But was "acceptable" because we liked the location and breakfast. However, when we returned for the fourth and final night, the room was half the size of the first room we had and there was a very annoying tapping/pounding sound within the hotel walls. We heard it from the time we checked in (around 3pm) until midnight!!! The hotel refused to change our room and could not tell us what the source of the sound was! Then the noise started again at 6:30am! It was a good thing we were already awake since we had to catch our flight back home.
For us, the negatives far outweighed the positive! I will never ever stay at Hotel Sonya again nor would I ever recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Yes, choose another hotel. If my daughter's college dorm room is nicer and bigger than the room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here in the summer with my two teenage children for five nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful with any questions we had about the area and getting around the city. The breakfast was huge each morning, we were able to skip lunch most days. The location was great, close to the subway and train station. Our room was spacious, modern and very clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cody62
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Travelled as a family with 2 kids in Jan 2014. This hotel offered good size room, clean, included breakfast and very reasonable price compared to cross the road 4/5 stars hotels. It is just opposite the Opera Theatre. Love its very central location for travel around Rome. Less than 10 mins walking distance away with pram from Rome Termini main station. It has a bus depot right in front of the station and metro station also within short walking distance. We chose to walk to most local attractions. There are a variety of restaurants available near the hotel, including Chinese (2 mins away), Italian, Mcdonald restaurants etc. At the Rome train Station, it has a supermarket and the bus company that offer the cheapest airport transfer, cost euro $6 each way, $11 if you buy return travel. Overall, we found the Staff friendly, convenience location and for the price we paid, we will consider stay at this hotel next time.

Room Tip: This hotel has the old style lift but good size. Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was recently in Rome for less than 24 hours on my way home from a ski holiday in Italy. I booked one nights accommodation in the Hotel Sonya. Considering it's Rome and it's central location, I got a very good rate of 78 Euros. However, just be aware of the bait and switch that other reviewers have experienced. When I checked in, I was informed that they were putting me in the Hotel L'Opera Roma a short distance away. The staff helped move my luggage down the street to the other hotel and up to my room. The room was clean but very, very small. It had a double bed but there was barely enough room to walk around the bed and just enough room on the floor to put my suitcase. After looking behind the curtain on the "window", it looked like I had a view of an elevator shaft.

Now, because I was only in that room for a very short period of time and I didn't even need to un pack any of my clothes and because I didn't pay very much for the room, it served the purpose for my short stay. However, if you are in Rome for several days or if there are two of you, this room would be totally unacceptable. I can understand, under the circumstances, why they gave me this room. For longer stays though, just be careful how much you pay for the room and be assertive if they try to give you a room like I got.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank RogerS40
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Hotel Sonya is as advertised: a moderately priced, convenient and clean hotel. It is a short walk to the Termini Railroad station and metro, and a great jumping off point to explore the city or to venture forth. You can use the hotel to get anywhere with public transportation. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the room large enough for two. It is not stylish nor historical -- the Re is plenty of that elsewhere. Save your money and stay here. The staff were very helpful, and eager to please. There are a number of restaurants close by, and candy stores, gelato bars, and pizzerias. This is not the area to do shopping in though. A good value for the rate.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon S
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here last year after reading reviews from Rick Stevens and it was a great idea - the room was on the 4 floor via a very old lift - cute- the room was a good size clean and tidy -the room was on the side of the hotel and you can open the window and we had a view of the roof tops of Rome - it's within walking distance to Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, Roman ruins, the train station is just around the corner to get to the Vactian also for our train ride to Venice. Breakfast was good with a variety of dishes to choose from staff were very helpful and spoke a small amount of English - if you are looking for a reasonable price Hotel located close to Rome's many attractions I would recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends