“this hotel was a cheap price and i can now see why”
Review of Caravel Hotel

Caravel Hotel
Ranked #130 of 1,259 Hotels in Rome
victoria
“this hotel was a cheap price and i can now see why”
Reviewed 25 October 2009

The first indication that this hotel was no good was in the taxi on the way to the hotel when the driver said I must have paid a very cheap price to book here...When i arrived i was somewhat worried about the location. There is absolutely nothing around the area still open, everything has been shut down and there was hardly another person on the street. I decided to go for a walk and found one other person who I asked about the area and why everything was shut down. They told me in the little english that they spoke that it wasn't a good area.
The hotel itself was very basic, clean enough but i would not ever stay there again. The staff were ok to me but I did hear them speaking to an old man who i must say was being very difficult and unreasonable but the staff were very rude to him and even laughed at him while he was talking to them.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank lozz13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We stayed there for 4 nights and we were satisfied.The room was air conditioned, nice and clean, towels were changed every day.The nearest metro was a bit too far, but there were many bus lines constantly passing nearby.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanicaP
Northern Norway
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My husband and I - an adult couple - stayed at the Caravel Hotel for three nights during the week-end Bruce Springsteen held his concert in Rome, 19th July 2009.
We found it quite all right to stay there. The nearest metro was a bit too far, but there were many bus lines constantly passing nearby (30, 130, 714, 715), ending up at Ostiense or Termini station.
Breakfast was good, with enough food, though not very many choices; I missed eggs and bacon, and there were only white bread.
The room was air conditioned, nice and clean, towels were changed every day. The staff, except from one uneatable female employee at the reception desk (just ask me, I remember her name), was polite.
I could have wished the internet machine in the reception to be free for guests. And it would be nice if there had been been possibilites to boil water for coffee or tea at our room. But all in all, I do not have a problem by recommending the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heiagamvik
Rialto
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We stayed for 6 nites. It was adequet. Which is fine with us because we only sleep here. The location was good, we caught the bus about a 100 yards away and it took us just about anywhere we wanted. Take the 714 to Termini Station or the 30 express goes to the Vatican. Don't expect the bus drivers to answer any questions. They act dumb and won't help at all. We took the 714 to Termini and caught the hop on hop off the first day and then after that we kinda had an idea where we were going when we took the 30 express. I would like to give you a couple tips on staying here. First, you sometimes have to let the hot water run for awile before it actually gets hot, but not all the time. Tickets for the bus have to be bought down the street and around the corner at a tobacco shop, no matter what the hotel people say. The air conditioner worked great, we were totally in 4 different rooms with 2 different couples and never had any issues. The hotel staff is the biggest minus to this hotel. They seem to know very little about the area immediately around the hotel. Would you believe in Rome where there are over 1000 Catholic Churches that they did not know where the nearest Catholic Church was located?? There was a little restaurant just south of the Hotel towards the old Roman Sistern, it was very good. We ate there 4 out of the 5 nites we were there. Very nice people and after the second night we became regulars and they really took good care of us.The Breakfast was good at the hotel also. I would stay there again because you get away from the hustle of the City Center. There is a grocery store behind the Hotel but you have to walk around the block because no one knows how to get there from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jostryjewski
New York
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We stayed for two nights at the Caravel as a part of a Cosmos tour to Italy & Greece. Overall its a decent pick for the location and proximity to the Colosseum and (25 minutes away by bus) Pantheon, Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain. Expect this hotel to be somewhat like a Days Inn or Howard Johnson. Go here if you are on a budget and are looking to crash for a few nights and stay out most of the day. Our rooms were relatively clean and the breakfast buffet was not too bad. The negatives are - Out dated room from the 80's, hotel staff who did not help when asked for directions and noise from the road outside.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We stayed here on the first leg of our Cosmos tour to Rome. The room was extremely tiny and very basic. The room wasn't the cleanest or the most comfortable, just very basic. There was quite a bit of noise from our neighbours. Sadly, the lady in the reception wasn't so helpful in helping us find our way around Rome, so we mostly relied on our guide book. That said, the hotel is just a 10 min bus ride from central Rome, where all the touristi-stuff is, so the location was great. Also, the continental breakfast at this hotel was pretty decent.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Preston UK
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Ive just stayed at the caravel for 3 days whilst attending Rome for the Champions League Final. The hotel is situated about a 30 - 45 minute walk south of the Collosseum. First impressions when I arrived was okay. The reception staff were very helpful and I stayed on the 7th floor in a twin bedded room with my son. In fairness the hotel is clean albeit very basic with a parque' floor and a very dour bathroom.
The hotel has a small bar which serves basic snacks and canned beer and a few spirits. There is a cold buffet breakfast served until 10 am daily and again this was just okay. The hotel is situated on a very busy road and you do get noise although it isnt a major problem. Each room has air conditioning of a sort which again is adequate.
There is a small bar about 20 yards from the hotel and a very good pizzeria next door to that were prices are ok for a capital city.
Would I stay here again? If I was visiting the city with a group of mates to watch a game ...Yes I would. If i was with the wife...............I know she definately would not stay here.
I think with a lick of paint and a general tidy up the hotel could attract a much better clientele!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends