“The watermelon was great”

Hotel Emona Aquaeductus
Ranked #401 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“The watermelon was great”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Hotel claims to be 4 star but by no means it is more than a 2 star.
Came down for breakfast and most platers were empty, when informing the staff they seem bothered and brought in some cold runny scrambled eggs in a small plate.
The room is very small, mattress is old and terribly uncomfortable. Walls have kid wallpaper with a bad paint job. Cable TV is pixelated and remote did not work. Bathroom is mouldy with no room to move around. The only amenity was soap for your hands and a shower cap which I tossed on the first day but was never replaced in the 3 nights were stayed.
AC was not working when we checked in and fixed the next day.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four days during a Europe trip and I became very ill the first day there. The host was very kind and helpful throughout, which is why this could've been a better review.

On our final evening, one of the hosts, not the owner, essentially forced us to pay for a breakfast that was included in our hotel price. We hadn't anticipated this charge and had to walk, in the rain, feeling very ill, to an ATM to retrieve the cash for the breakfast. The host was rude and unwilling to recognize that the hotel had made a mistake in charging us for this breakfast.

On top of this, the host told us that a taxi would be extremely easy to come by at 4am when we departed the next day. To our surprise, when we left the following morning, the new host couldn't find a taxi and was insensitive to our bus departure at the bus station. We had to run out in the street a few blocks down and hail a cab on our own--even though the host told us no cabs were available.

Maria, the owner, was nice. But the other hosts left us wanting. Wish they could've finished on a better note. Very unfortunate.

Stayed August 2014
Lima, Lima, Peru
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Near station Mazzoni, and walking distance to Coliseum.
Room very clean and commfortable, helpful staff, and good breakfast.
I loved the terrace and lobby of the hotel, very special and magical at nigts mainly! Lovely combination of lights, sofas and plants... Chilly.

Room Tip: Mine was in 2nd floor, view to the street. And loved it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anita R
hotelaquaeductus, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Emona Aquaeductus, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback Anita R !
A precise and concise description of our hotel Emona Aquaeductus. I do appreciate your positive feeling of personal joy in your wording:“ very special and magical”. Thanks again for sharing with us your lovely emotions.
Warm regards, Maria Magdalena Wilkes, Managing Director
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for five nights in July 2014. It is a charming art deco hotel about 2km from Termini Station. Yes, it is a bit off the beaten path, but the building and garden/courtyard more than make up for it.

The rooms (we had a triple room and a double room) were clean and well taken care of. Not huge, but really, we were only there to sleep not throw a party.

Breakfast was included in the price of the rooms. From what I had read of European breakfasts, we were expecting coffee and maybe a pastry. It was a full breakfast- eggs, ham, bacon, toast, fruit, yogurt, etc. Very tasty.

We found most of the staff to be exceptionally helpful. Andrea was behind the desk during the day and gave us all sorts of help with planning our outings.

We experienced no problems with the wi-fi or air conditioning as mentioned in other reviews. I have no problem recommending this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello Ultimate Girl, Ottawa,Ontario!
I was almost moved, but to tell the truth, your words reward for the hard work we all do on a daily basis at our hotel trying to ensure to all our guests a pleasant holiday. I do appreciate the 5 out 5 stars in your rating of your experience at the Emona Aquaeductus, and thank you for the compliments for the building and the garden/courtyard, the cleanliness of the rooms and the quality of our breakfast. I have already sent your nice and encouraging words to Andrea and to our staff.
Concerning the wi-fi service, usually it function quite well, however when the line of the provider get below the expected threshold then it works just in the hall. I ‘m arguing these days with the actual provider on how to improve and fix the wi-fi service.
Thank you for staying with us. I hope to see you again soon.
Warm regards, Maria Magdalena Wilkes, Managing Director
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Horrible location in a seedy part of town. Should have known we were in for trouble when cab driver from train had no idea where hotel was. And our 2nd day our tour guide of Vatican had never heard of the hotel either. Upon arrival around 11pm, Daniel was going off duty and checked us in- with a LESS than welcoming welcome. After observing we needed additional pillows, I went downstairs to find a new staff person (who's name escapes me) who was short and curt with me about needing pillows. The room was certainly not as advertised on their website which is false advertising. They were tiny (not just small) and very very old. Cracks in ceilings, the floors, the doors. The mold in the bathroom and around the tub was grotesque If it wasn't so late I would have checked out. Fortunately we planned to be out the entire next day and only had one more night to sleep there. The breakfast was less than average but served its purpose. United Airlines should be ashamed of themselves for having this hotel on their list of recommended hotels in their point system. being that we got a cheap rate, we paid instead of using points but would NEVER have booked this if we didn't see it on their site first.
WiFi didn't work and the desk wasn't helpful at all. When my husband went down with the soggy wet amenities to ask for new ones the Front Desk person said "this isn't America- not sure what you expect" The location was a bit seedy and not convenient to any sites or restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LGR521, New Jersey

Thank you for your stay in our hotel and for sharing your own opinion about it, its location, room and services. I know that it is extremely difficult to fully satisfy the various tastes of all persons and even more difficult to do it at the same time. However in consideration of your strong comments, as managing director I shall clarify all the noted discrepancies, step by step.

In the meantime I’d like to report few different points of view from other guests who stayed at our hotel, who expressed their spontaneous and independent opinions, and posted different comments, so I will report some comments from others Tripadvisor travelers to give a comprehensive overview of the Emona Aquaeductus hotel.
Location Concerning the location I strongly disagree with your own judgment on our location. In fact, the location is quiet and central, but not in the tourist bustle, strategic both for walking to restaurants, bars and supermarkets in the neighborhood and next to the nearby bus, trams and metro (station Manzoni line A) that are especially useful to reach all tourist itineraries in Rome, from Termini station to the Coliseum, from the Spanish Steps to the Vatican, and so on.
Apart from Nero's aqueduct, located just in front of the Emona Aquaeductus, the whole area around the hotel is rich in archaeological remains at just 100 mt, Porta Maggiore, small funerary monuments (Eurisace) and columbaria.

…... just around the corner (50yards) is a couple of restaurants we had our best meal in one of them, a take-a-way pizza place (good), a gelataria …..the location is a little out of the way - nice to be away from the highly trafficked tourist zones,
Staff Our staff , usually well appreciated, is ready to assist our guests personally and ensure that their days in Rome flow nice and smoothly, always attentive and discreet, however they are human being and they might be wrong. I apologise for their possible mistakes .
…...we found most of the staff to be exceptionally helpful, Andrea was behind the desk during the day and gave us all sorts of help with planning our outings …… front desk owner is a hoot. The lady of the hotel is pleasant and has a sense of humour - the night staff less so. She was very nice to my 10 year old son. ……..There was a staff woman who was cleaning up breakfast and grabbed my tray instantly so she could carry it upstairs for me. How sweet …….when I was sick even served some warm honey lemon and tea at midnight
Rooms The description and pictures of the rooms and the whole Emona Aquaeductus on all web sites are truthfully and accurately representing what the hotel actually offers. During the web site preparation I checked in every detail that there were no misunderstandings or lies towards our potential prospective guests. … …. ……..room very clean and comfortable, …….our room was nicely furnished, had a good sized bathroom (with a space for toiletries) and had character
Breakfast I’m glad that even if breakfast was less than average but served its purpose
List of recommended hotels Nowdays the social networks give information and rankings in many different activities, and among them I would mention, for the sake of fairness, the following reviews about our Emona Aquaeductus posted to Trip Advisor: on 254 reviews about our hotel the results shows that the hotel rewarded 4 points out of 5 .
…….. this hotel was superb (one of the best I've stayed in) and a Roman ruin just out the door! Overall, good value for money …… “The Best I Saw - I want the uniqueness of that region especially where I stay.“ Had a lovely stay at this delightful hotel. Lovely decor and superb service and breakfasts.
………..“Perfect getaway-Such a beautiful little gem. The hotel service was superior, breakfast was superb and it's located in a strategic location. Both the receptionists were more than lovely. They kindly directed us to, recommended us places to go and. Would highly recommend this hotel!”
……….My job has constant travel and I love it when I stumble on something like this. The courtyard screams Italian style in its design and materials of the Rome region. I was on a motorcycle all over Rome for five days and saw nothing else like it.
Thank you for staying with us . Best Regards Maria Magdalena Wilkes, Managing Director
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We booked a "superior double" room with balcony, queen size bed, and ample bathroom. As much as we enjoyed the large bathroom, the colored glass windows on the bathroom's pocket doors did not provide complete privacy. Overall the room (room 27) was comfortable and clean, but the bathtub/shower area could have been cleaner, especially the shower curtain, which should have been replaced long ago. The big drawback to our room was the weak WiFi signal. We typically had to go to the lobby to get a sufficient signal, both for our smartphone and our laptop. Also, in the four days we were there, WiFi in the lobby went out of service a couple times, and I needed to request the front desk to reset it.

The staff was exceptional -- next to the balcony that we had, the helpful staff was my favorite aspect of our stay at Emona Aquaeductus. We also very much enjoyed the quiet landscaped courtyard just outside the hotel entrance.

We were in Rome to see the main tourist attractions, and the location was good enough. We arrived by rental car, and it is relatively easy to reach from the highway (if you're coming from the east). We depended on walking and the subway to get around. The nearest supermarket is only a couple blocks away, and the nearest subway stop is a reasonable walk. The walk to the Colosseum took us about 25 minutes.

We were grateful to be able to park our rental car in their courtyard. That spared me from having to worry about it on the street. The cost was reasonable, although it was a very tight fit. The courtyard can fit at most four cars, although with that arrangement two of the cars are blocked. I suggest contacting the hotel well in advance if you want to park your car there.

Room Tip: We booked a "superior double room". Our room (rm. 27) was in the corner, away from both t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Vincent H ,Saint Louis, Missouri ,
I would like to thank you for the kind review and for the appreciation shown on our Superior Room, the helpful staff and the landscaped courtyard just outside the hotel entrance.

The comments and reviews from our guests are for us a valuable aid to maintain and improve the quality of our services as much as possible in order to meet the expectations of our guests, so we took into account what you reported, thus we changed the mentioned bathtub/shower accordingly, while for the wifi free service I have scheduled an appointment with a technician expecting to definitely improve this service within the next week.

In the hope of hosting you, with real pleasure again in the future, I thank you again. Warm regards. Maria Magdalena Wilkes, Managing Director
Twinsburg, Ohio
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It's an unusual hotel. As other people said, older building, nice courtyard. The traffic noise can be a bit loud, but what do you expect in a city (and really, you should only be there to sleep)? It was surprisingly quiet at night for such a huge city though. I will agree with Poppet57, the air con could have been better, but we cranked it all the way to the lowest setting and kept the windows closed and it was fine. I like the short walk to the subway. Quite enjoyable. Small elevator for luggage. Staff...front desk owner is a hoot. She's like a momma that will discipline you in a heartbeat, but deep down is probably one of the best ladies you'll ever meet. She was very nice to my 10 year old son. There was a staff woman who was cleaning up breakfast and grabbed my tray instantly so she could carry it upstairs for me. How sweet! Breakfast was incredible here. Everything you could want. YUM! If you're not a priss, this hotel is neat and a good price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello Racermandy,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at the Emona Aquaeductus Rome. I wish to thank you for the friendly and pleasant review, including some precise delightful tips. You are right, I know very well the lady, she has temper but also a very enjoyable sense of humour too.
I am glad to have you as our guests and look forwards to welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again for sharing. .Kindest Regards Maria Magdalena Wilkes, Managing Director