“Heaven unlikely to be this nice”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #55 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Rome is my favorite city, and this is among my favorite hotels. Well located (take a run in the nearly Villa Borghese), beautifully kept up with large, comfortable rooms (maybe starting to look just slightly dated) and wonderful service everywhere you turn. The included breakfast is delicious (alas, what isn't in Italy?), and the gym is pretty good for Europe. Make sure to meet Alessandra, one of the concierges. She can take care of everything and has spot-on restaurant recommendations; she'll even tell you what to consider ordering. The only caveat is price. For example, if you travel with a few devices, expect to pay $50 a day for your Internet connection... impressive! But when you're in a beautiful hotel is this remarkable city, maybe it doesn't really matter. Look forward to returning...

1  Thank Michael B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I would thoroughly recommend this Hotel in every way. From the first moment we walked in the staff were friendly & helpful and imediately our whole family relaxed. We had been disappointed in anothe hotel we had pre-booked so were looking for a room for 3 nights over Easter. Despite the Hotel being near fully booked the Reception tema very patiently tried hard to find us the perfect room to accommodate our family (as we have 2 young children). The doorman Daniele was a delight, entertaining the children during this process. All the staff were friendly and the service was superb as you would expect for a 5 star hotel but the thing I noticed the most was how happy the staff all seem and they made our visit a special holiday with their personal touches Rareky have I seen such good service (and we travel a lot!). The hotel is set in beautiful gardens and the restauarnt is set up so you can sit inside or outside to admire the garden. Mario, the restaurant manager, effortlessly arranged our breakfast inside followed by coffee outside in the sun upon request. Finally the Conceirge desk were very professional and when our restaurant of choice was full they booked us into an even better one overlooking the whole of Rome.
This is a very special hotel, worth every penny. I can not recommend it enough.

2  Thank LondonVirginia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just returned from a week at Hotel de Russie in one of their Classic Suites with an adjoining bedroom, forming a 2B-suite. The only real negative about this hotel is that it is not quite as extraordinary as its sister property in Berlin, the Hotel de Rome. Russie's location is stellar (more charming location than Hassler) as is the service. The lobby and gardens are serene and gorgeous. Rooms are completely fine though the interior design is a bit staid and charmless compared to what you might imagine at a venerable Italian 5-star hotel. Some things I should give credit for simply because they were so perfect we never noticed them -- great shower, fast WiFi, plenty of readily accessible power outlets, etc. There is noise in the evenings even if your room faces the courtyard but I think that is to be expected given the central location in Rome. It was never bothersome. We never ate at the restaurant except for the breakfast buffet, which was very nice, but the room service food was mediocre. That was probably our biggest disappointment with the hotel. They did lose track of some laundry but to their credit, they were very apologetic and jumped through hoops to quickly track it down and are shipping the item home to us at their expense. Overall, it made for an ideal home for the week.

1  Thank shanstan
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Once again at the Russie and still in love with the place. The garden, the courtyard and the entrance halls are glouriously beautiful and elegant. The decoration,(particularly the Easter flower arrangements, complimenti!) is soothingly suave and the bar and restaurant terrace are just so welcomng and pretty they make you want to linger. Best of all its features is the wonderful staff. Everyone is nice and efficient.
My only two criticisms are of the room bathrooms, which are slightly dated and a bit small in some cases,and the breakfast selection which although of the highest quality, is a little too "continental" focusing primarily on bread and pastries and cold cuts and cheeses. Both are still perfectly adequate, though, and do not undermine the sheer bliss of being at the Russie.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden and courtyard are my favourites.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2012

this hotel is spectacular. i ate lunch outside at the upstairs restaurant on my first visit to the russie. it was so incredible (both the decor and the food) that i booked a room there on my next visit to room. the hotel is spectacular! my room, while small, was cozy and impeccably furnished. the spa downstairs is wonderful and the service was great! it is in a great location as well...very central. if you have the money to stay here, than this hotel is THE place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank makelly3
Reviewed 24 March 2012

No doubt this hotel is remarkable in its decor, location and general style.
Great resto bar, spa, hang out area and cute gym.
For the super aesthetic of you - it definitely can be cleaner.
For the ones that like to be fully pampered - it can certainly improve just by having a real duvet and not these wool blankets.
And the price is full. You can cross the street (I think the name is Piranesi) and get a competitive room with less aura for under 50% of what you'd pay @ de russie.
BTW, they would still charge you 20 Euro a date for internet connection. Isn't that 80's?

Room Tip: Go for forth floor, if you can afford it - suite 406 or 414
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank guygamzu
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I am staying at Hotel de Russie as I write this review and find it to be quite disappointing.
Rome is a 3 night stop in a long business trip, and I was looking forward to a relaxing five star experience. What a disappointment!
I got a double room which is quite small and has a few undesirable features.
First, the room is old, and in clear need of upgrade,specially walls and ceiling. I asked for a quiet non-smoking room, I got a room on the 5th floor with plenty of noise from the streets below. Perhaps the rooms facing the courtyard are a better choice. The non-smoking floor might as well be smokers floor as the scent crept up, and this being Rome, everyone smokes everwhere. TV service and phone service were spotty, had a few hours yesterday with neither but did not bother to report it.
The amenities are not high quality, and neither is the bed. The turn down service is useless (no chocolate!).
Worst of all booked the hotel for its one feature: spa with pool and hot tub. Well, they are closed for renovation and I was not informed of this important detail at the time of booking.
The one redeeming quality at this hotel is the staff. Everyone is polite, professional and acommodating, as they should be in a five star hotel. Everything else is overhyped and not in line with the high price. Considering this is the most expensive hotel in Rome, I was expecting the experience to match the price. Sadly, this is not the case.
On the bright side, the location is good, the garden is pretty, and the common areas clean and well maintained.
In closing, I am not coming back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are very noisy. Pick a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank crazy4nature
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and we are pleased to hear you appreciated our prime location, our beautiful garden and mostly, the high level of service provided by our team. They will draw great satisfaction from your praise.

However, I offer my sincere apologies that you didn’t have a perfect stay.

For guests who wish to enjoy a smoke free area, we have several floors with rooms where smoking is not permitted. Furthermore all public areas of the hotel, with the exception of the open courtyard, are non-smoking. Most unfortunately sometimes the smell might not be properly contained.

I trust only few rooms presently need more attention and can assure you that we are constantly looking into updating and upgrading the product we offer. Most certainly should you have the opportunity to come back and try the hotel on another occasion, you will be able to experience a spotless room.

We also recently had the possibility to ameliorate our Wellness Zone and during the 7 days of closing, only all treatments and the fitness room were available, while, regretfully, sauna, steam bath and Jacuzzi were not accessible. We do regret we did not inform you prior to your arrival.

Obviously our apologies now is of little significance to you. I would however like to thank you for taking the time to inform me of your concerns about your visit, it is only with feedback such as this that we can continue to improve the service we offer.

I hope that you will visit us again for a true De Russie experience

Stefano Gegnacorsi